News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
The existing photos will be discarded, and new ones will be printed.
Which is better, no?

I’m not of the opinion that Disney needs to take care with the existing photos, as they will be replaced with shiny, new replicas ... but I don’t have a dog in this race. Smash ‘em, don’t smash ‘em; doesn’t matter to me either way, just get moving on this please!

Dollars to doughnuts, the new tiles end up being displayed beyond their contractual date anyways.

Goofyernmost

Which is better, no?

I’m not of the opinion that Disney needs to take care with the existing photos, as they will be replaced with shiny, new replicas ... but I don’t have a dog in this race. Smash ‘em, don’t smash ‘em; doesn’t matter to me either way, just get moving on this please!

Dollars to doughnuts, the new tiles end up being displayed beyond their contractual date anyways.
Well, some seem to think that the originals were blessed from on high and have some purpose other then to be displayed for all the people that bought one to see. I guess that was Disney's fault for calling it a Legacy. Use the old ones, use the new ones they are exactly the same thing. It is still only those that bought one that are going to be interested in looking at them anyway and then they are only interested in their own. It would have been quite successful if they had just used clearly recognizable images.

When they first came out I was considering getting one. I looked at them and thought to my self, this is junk. I don't remember what they charged, but, it is was over $5.00 it was a ripoff and I just walked on. I never looked at them again. I only kept being reminded of how awesome the original entrance once was and it made me sad.

The one precaution that I have is that I remember how all of us got excited that the Big Ugly Hat was being taken down. We could once again see the fabulous theater. Then they stuck tons of other stuff in front of it. I think it is cleared out, somewhat, now, I haven't been there in almost three years now so it might be different.

Clamman73

Any one mention in here that if they’re doing new ones, that they can reproduce the image better this time as compared to originally?

trainplane3

Any one mention in here that if they’re doing new ones, that they can reproduce the image better this time as compared to originally?
Someone said they'd be upscaled. One thing to remember is they were originally sold as small pictures because of how many they expected to sell. Unless they plan on selling more, it would make sense to make them a bit bigger since they know exactly how many they're working with now.

TOCPE82

Someone said they'd be upscaled. One thing to remember is they were originally sold as small pictures because of how many they expected to sell. Unless they plan on selling more, it would make sense to make them a bit bigger since they know exactly how many they're working with now.
I think it's weirder that they'll be bigger. Might as well keep them small and out of the way... or if they're prominent enough - sell more with no guarantee on how long they'll display. The idea wasn't horrible, but it had no business in the entrance to that park.

tirian

Disney’s knocking down the hideous, brown tombstones and relocating the images to a nicer display. Epcot will regain a beautiful entrance, and the actual “legacies” are being preserved.

I’m not sure where this tiny internet outcry came from, but it is certainly the minority; and one or two posts on the web don’t reflect the majority of opinions, including the ones that matter — WDI.

Some people liked the giant wand and hat too. There’s no accounting for taste.

note2001

I think it's weirder that they'll be bigger. Might as well keep them small and out of the way... or if they're prominent enough - sell more with no guarantee on how long they'll display. The idea wasn't horrible, but it had no business in the entrance to that park.
Slightly larger would not be bad as long as they're still small. So much detail of the original images was washed out in the etching process that many were unrecognizable.

What would be weird is if they were made in the style of the Haunted Mansion busts so that they seemingly turn to look at us as we pass by.

TOCPE82

Slightly larger would not be bad as long as they're still small. So much detail of the original images was washed out in the etching process that many were unrecognizable.

What would be weird is if they were made in the style of the Haunted Mansion busts so that they seemingly turn to look at us as we pass by.
The whole pictures idea is just weird to me. I would mind a lot less if it was just a list of names, or names on bricks like the MK WARW

note2001

The whole pictures idea is just weird to me. I would mind a lot less if it was just a list of names, or names on bricks like the MK WARW
I agree. Over the years I've been numbed by them being in place, but now that you mention it, those first few times walking in I was a little creeped out by pictures (very poor ones at that) being in the entrance.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Then why the argument? That’s what I said a few posts back. You’re reading more into what I wrote. I simply said remove the photos first. I said nothing about “care.” They cannot be discarded unless removed first. Ie being sensitive to those who have a photo. Otherwise if not removed first then the photos are smashed in on-site.
I just don't see why removing the photos (which I imagine is probably a pretty significant effort) and destroying them is somehow more respectful than just destroying the monoliths and photos together....

Rodan75

They took the "sensitive" route the plaques are being removed.

Probably because they didn't want to decapitate anyone when a flying plate of pictures went flying over the construction walls as the wrecking ball crashed into the tile. (And yes I know they aren't using a wrecking ball and no, I don't think a plaque would fly into the crowds or that they would do the work during operating hours and no I don't hate anyone who has a picture on the wall)

mlayton144

Probably because they didn't want to decapitate anyone when a flying plate of pictures went flying over the construction walls as the wrecking ball crashed into the tile. (And yes I know they aren't using a wrecking ball and no, I don't think a plaque would fly into the crowds or that they would do the work during operating hours and no I don't hate anyone who has a picture on the wall)

TNT , direct the blast into the parking lot, demo project done in one night

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom