News New Park Entrance coming to Epcot

yensidtlaw1969

Nope, never smelt it. And we went through there a lot. Not saying it wasn’t there of course.
I will happily confirm it was there for SURE . . . at least some of the time. Maybe I just had bad luck because it seemed to always be there.

No idea what caused it, though.

I'm almost surprised none of those park-smell Candle shops have picked it up as a scent.

lazyboy97o

Which would take all of a week. Reinstating the original guest flow pattern would have been a godsend for starters.

Shame they filled the sunken floors with concrete though.
But did they actually fill the whole thing with concrete? That would be a very, very heavy and very expensive way to do something that could be done more easily and cheaply, like filling it with dirt and just doing a top slab which would be a lot easier to undo.

*Q*

But, absent nostalgia, I don't think it was really a classic accomplishment of imagineering. It wasn't World Showcase or Spaceship Earth. I think that if Disney built this today, people would say it was plain, boring, and generic.
The point about "if they were built today" is also interesting - I agree, for many reasons, that they are not the kind of buildings that would be built today, but there again we have to question whether or not that is an asset.
This is the kind of building that Disney builds today.
1598213161114.jpeg

Which would take all of a week. Reinstating the original guest flow pattern would have been a godsend for starters.

Shame they filled the sunken floors with concrete though.
There's always jackhammers!

CJR

Blog Mickey has some photos up showing minor damage to the prisms, right in the same area where the brace was.

Wonder if they can touch up on it? It's rather noticeable in the photos IMO.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Blog Mickey has some photos up showing minor damage to the prisms, right in the same area where the brace was.

Wonder if they can touch up on it? It's rather noticeable in the photos IMO.
I saw that too. 😕

From the pictures, looks like it's superficial scratches (?). Hopefully, the material allows for restoration by buffing/polishing the damaged area.

TimeTrip

I will happily confirm it was there for SURE . . . at least some of the time. Maybe I just had bad luck because it seemed to always be there.

No idea what caused it, though.

I'm almost surprised none of those park-smell Candle shops have picked it up as a scent.
Can also confirm that particular spot always had an awful smell whenever we visited it, but it was usually during F+W, so maybe that upped the ante.

DreamfinderGuy

For the whole building? Or just the half that's already been torn down?
They made extensive changes to both buildings in 1994. Concrete was poured into each sunken area to create a flat surface for Innoventions. Slits were made in the overhang curves nearest to Spaceship Earth for new Innoventions main entrances. The former main entrances (On the opposite side of what is today Guest Relations and Art of Disney) were sealed off and surrounded by planters. The West building was expanded and given a new entrance by the breezeway exit (Again, slit in a new overhang). The central plaza was entirely relandscaped, and slits were yet again made on the breezeway entrances.

The buildings themselves took on a grid-like pattern for new guest flow. When they found out that sucked, it was changed five years later to a winding road. None of these changes were beneficial in any way other than expanding the West building, and the plaza has been suffering for a quarter century now because of it. It would not take much to reinstate the original open air feel and the properly designed guest flow. In fact, that’s seemingly what they’re already doing to the East building. Get some paint and some goo gone for those stupid Innoventions window stickers and you have something beautiful once more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom