New Park at WDW?

Sumshine 904

Original Poster
I heard on a TV special last night that they might make a new park at WDW. Is this true? (the TV special was about WDW, I've seen it before but they updated it now with stuff from Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor and other things, and at the end of the special they said they might make a new park) :shrug:

Fun2BFree

I hope they don't. What happened with the addition of AK was that instead of going to Disney more days, many people were missing out Epcot or the Studios to visit the new park. It didn't increase overall attendance as much as they had hoped.
EDIT: 150!

Walt_Disney

I heard on a TV special last night that they might make a new park at WDW. Is this true? (the TV special was about WDW, I've seen it before but they updated it now with stuff from Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor and other things, and at the end of the special they said they might make a new park) :shrug:

what channel was this?

SirNim

They "might" build a new park on the Moon. But "might" they build a new park in the next 5-10 years at WDW?

Probably not...

...But they "might"!

brkgnews

Depending on if it was one of those more-ancient Travel Channel specials, maybe they were referring to Hong Kong?

ele

Account Suspended
what channel was this?

its on travel channel. but the year says its from 2002 but it is a new show.

and they advised thast they have several ideas for the near future but did not state what they are exactly. but several times said they had enough room to build several new parks.

the-reason14

its on travel channel. but the year says its from 2002 but it is a new show.

and they advised thast they have several ideas for the near future but did not state what they are exactly. but several times said they had enough room to build several new parks.

Yea, I know what you are talking about. That show premiered on the travel channel in like 2002 and ended with them showing some construction shots of Mission:Space, but then it was updated I believe this year to show all of the new stuff that has appeared at WDW since 2002, and at they end they said that WDW has land set aside for more hotels and theme parks and then says how they will continue to expand.

Note that this was originally aired and said in 2002, 5 years ago, so Im pretty sure they just mean that if they wanted to they have enough land to build another park not that they intend too.

ToTBellHop

Yea, I know what you are talking about. That show premiered on the travel channel in like 2002 and ended with them showing some construction shots of Mission:Space, but then it was updated I believe this year to show all of the new stuff that has appeared at WDW since 2002, and at they end they said that WDW has land set aside for more hotels and theme parks and then says how they will continue to expand.

Note that this was originally aired and said in 2002, 5 years ago, so Im pretty sure they just mean that if they wanted to they have enough land to build another park not that they intend too.
yeah that's more what it sounds like...and we already knew they have room for several new parks and many resorts. Space has never been an issue at WDW...and likely won't be in our lifetimes.

jessfriends

I did watch the show on the Travel Channel last night. It was updated and they did mention about another park. I believe it was some phrase they said right before the commercial. When the show came back on, they basically just said that they are creating things today that you won't see for 2, 3, 5 or 10 years. They DID NOT come out and announce a new park. That's what I got out of it. I was glad to see it updated with the new stuff. I have not seen the new Monster's Inc. and it was cool to see it on there.

rimousefan84

I've loved disney for a long time now, but have always thought if they had more "thrill" rides it would be that much better. Another park devoted to rides that please the teenagers-to young adults would just give me another excuse to stay a couple more days :p

Hummer1676

If you go back and read some of the old threads this was talked about a while ago. It most likely won't happen anytime soon. They want to expand to different cities. I wouldn't be surprised to see little entertainment complex's come up by 2010 in big cities. I had a fellow co-worker leave the company we worked for to go work with Disney on planning new water parks and resorts. He hasn't disclosed anything yet but they are in the discovery phase.

ToTBellHop

If you go back and read some of the old threads this was talked about a while ago. It most likely won't happen anytime soon. They want to expand to different cities. I wouldn't be surprised to see little entertainment complex's come up by 2010 in big cities. I had a fellow co-worker leave the company we worked for to go work with Disney on planning new water parks and resorts. He hasn't disclosed anything yet but they are in the discovery phase.
new hotels certainly may pop up very soon in big cities--a Disney hotel near Broadway, for example, is a no brainer. It'd be booked solid every night for whatever small fortune Disney chose to charge per night (I'm sure it'd make the Grand Floridian seem cheap). Waterparks (especially indoor) are becoming very popular, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney move into that industry. Disney needs to keep its properties in other cities small so as to not leach off of WDW and the DLR--small experiences that guests can tack onto their existing trips to popular destination cities like New York, Boston, and Chicago.

sbkline

I hope they don't. What happened with the addition of AK was that instead of going to Disney more days, many people were missing out Epcot or the Studios to visit the new park. It didn't increase overall attendance as much as they had hoped.
EDIT: 150!

So what's wrong with that? I mean, obviously, from the company's POV, that's bad, since they want more attendance and therefore, more revenue.

But from my POV (and presumably that of every other visitor), I could care less if the addition of a new park increases attendance or not. If anything, I hope it doesn't increase attendance. Why would I want crowds to be any bigger than they already are?

But I also agree with others who have said that they would rather see improvements at the existing parks rather than the addition of a new park. There is still alot of room for expansion at AK, for example. My vote would be for another land there (Beastly Kingdom or Australia), rather than another half day park.

JWG

So what's wrong with that? I mean, obviously, from the company's POV, that's bad, since they want more attendance and therefore, more revenue.

But from my POV (and presumably that of every other visitor), I could care less if the addition of a new park increases attendance or not. If anything, I hope it doesn't increase attendance. Why would I want crowds to be any bigger than they already are?

But I also agree with others who have said that they would rather see improvements at the existing parks rather than the addition of a new park. There is still alot of room for expansion at AK, for example. My vote would be for another land there (Beastly Kingdom or Australia), rather than another half day park.

Attendace aside, daily park admission will go up with a new gate, so they'll do fine. And I do believe there'll be a 5th gate at WDW in the next quarter century (not necessarily in the next 5-10 years).
1976 - MK
1982 - EPCOT
1989 - MGM
1998 - AK

9 years is the longest stretch without a new gate. We're at that now. The gates absorb the overflow at peak times. Could you imagine if there was no AK? People would actually have to go to MGM!

Even by 2025 I think a new gate will exist.

Attendace aside, daily park admission will go up with a new gate, so they'll do fine. And I do believe there'll be a 5th gate at WDW in the next quarter century (not necessarily in the next 5-10 years).
1976 - MK
1982 - EPCOT
1989 - MGM
1998 - AK

9 years is the longest stretch without a new gate. We're at that now. The gates absorb the overflow at peak times. Could you imagine if there was no AK? People would actually have to go to MGM!

Even by 2025 I think a new gate will exist.

WDW opened its gates (Magic Kingdom) in 1971, not 1976.;)

JWG

WDW opened its gates (Magic Kingdom) in 1971, not 1976.;)

Yea, I'm retarded (and knew that too).
Somehow 1996 - 1976 = 25. I don't know how.

That does mean they went 11 years between new gates at first. I think 15-20 years seems right if they have a good concept.

OR - Demo MGM (or at least 1/2 of it) and start over so its a real theme park. Obviously keeping ToT and RnRc.

benji

I saw the same show and that info at the end got me thinking. I can't wait for the next WDW park but the other parks could use some major improvements. I don't see how they can make a new park when so many attractions need updating.... like Space Mountain, Carousel Of Progress, Wonders of Life, Haunted Mansion, Tomorrow Land Speedway, Great Movie Ride, Voyage Of the Little Mermaid, Indiana Jones, and Universe of Energy. We can also use Beastly Kingdom at AK and a new world Showcase pavillion at Epcot. A new park might not be a good idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom