News New Parade: Magic Happens

Californian Elitist

i'd say tangled, moana and princess and the frog (in that order) are my favorite "modern" animated disney films; frozen is nice i guess, but it doesn't really appeal to me personally, and the overhyping of the franchise ever since 2013 has kinda burned me out to it ever since.

I agree with everything. I saw Frozen after all the hype and couldn’t figure out what was so great about it (I was bored throughout a good portion of the film). Its continuous, undeserved hype and its overuse in the parks only anger me.

brb1006

There will be a new parade next year with the main draw being the use of practical effects. Think of magical Disney movie moments Halle hbu right before your eyes. Some of the details provided have been true.
Reminds me of when Disneyland had a parade called "Flights of Fantasy" which was created to honor the opening of New Fantasyland in 1983. With most of the floats being inflatable.
brooms3.jpg

DgAegBnXcAAN7w3.jpg

heffalumpandwoozle.jpg

Video Footage courtesy of otownguy79

This video contains the parade's main theme with a slideshow of the floats.

Some footage of the parade can be seen on the 1990 VHS "Disney's Sing-Along Songs: Disneyland Days" for the song .

This page by "DisneyChris" has an archive of previous soundtracks and music for Disneyland's older parades.

You don't see WDW or DL making parades like this anymore. While DL currently has Soundsatioanl while WDW has Festival of Fantasy. The only parks that currently creates parades to this level would be Tokyo Disneyland (Thanks to OLC) since they create a brand new parade every couple of years.

Last edited:

Rich T

Dr Facilier and the music from that movie is beloved. The rest has been mostly forgotten (and for good reason, outside of those elements the movie is one of Disney's more forgettable. But the music and the villain are some of the best
Yes, the music’s terrific, but I’d say Louis is more memorable than Facilier. Facilier’s excellent, but he’s also part of the films main problem— the convoluted, all-over-the-place story. His scheme is too complicated and full of holes. PatF has tons of great moments, but the plot feels like one they should have ditched, kept the good ideas, and started over to make it less exposition-heavy.

Rich T

i'd say tangled, moana and princess and the frog (in that order) are my favorite "modern" animated disney films; frozen is nice i guess, but it doesn't really appeal to me personally, and the overhyping of the franchise ever since 2013 has kinda burned me out to it ever since.
Looking at everything after Home on the Range, my favorites are Zootopia, Princess and the Frog and Frozen... and Tangled because of Maximus. I saw Frozen on opening day before the hype. Heard/saw Let it go for the first time and said “That...was...fantastic!” Little did I know exactly how far the hype machine would milk that song...

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Reminds me of when Disneyland have a parade called "Flights of Fantasy" which was created to honor the opening of New Fantasyland in 1983. With most of the floats being inflatable.
brooms3.jpg

DgAegBnXcAAN7w3.jpg

heffalumpandwoozle.jpg

Video Footage

Some footage of the parade can be seen on the 1990 VHS "Disney's Sing-Along Songs: Disneyland Days" for the song .

This page by "DisneyChris" has an archive of previous soundtracks and music for Disneyland's older parades.

And that was charming and celebrated as much back in the day by fans and guests alike. Today it would be called cheap and a cashgrab by the fandom on most Disney boards.

brb1006

And that was charming and celebrated as much back in the day by fans and guests alike. Today it would be called cheap and a cashgrab by the fandom on most Disney boards.
Here's more photos of the parade.
cheshirecatteapot.jpg

cards.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

DgAefE2W4AQmtau.jpg

Some promotional material for the parade.
DgAeaQxWkAU8uE8.jpg
DL+83+Passport+flyer.jpg

It's a shame there's hardly any footage of the parade running besides Disney's Sing-Along Songs. Since "Disneyland Days" contained a few small clips of one of the floats. Mainly the Alice in Wonderland section.

Last edited:

TP2000

I love that in 1983 it cost $8 to get in the park. Now with inflation that $8 is $20.42. However ticket prices are over $100 now. A five fold increase in price in 36 years.

It is startling, but remember this was the discounted rate for Anaheim residents only during the month of September. These were mailed to Anaheim residents and you brought this invitation to a ticket booth to get your discounted $8 ticket for the day.

What's interesting is that they did this offer at all, and they sent the mailers out in English only. Do they offer an Anaheim resident discount today???

A regular ticket in 1983 was $13, or $33 today adjusted for inflation. That's only a four fold increase in price! :D

brb1006

The same uploader "otownguy79" (Who has footage of the "Flights Of Fantasy Parade") also has footage of the day Disneyland celebrated Mickey's 50th Birthday in 1978. The video shows various Disney characters (Most notable being Bianca and Bernard from "The Rescuers") and the crowd singing "Happy Birthday" to Mickey in front of the famous birthday cutting ceremony. We also see a performance in front of the Disneyland Railroad set to "Hey Ra Ra Ra" and "He's A Jolly Good Fellow".

Back to the parades topic, also in 1978 Disneyland and Walt Disney World both created a special short-lived float for the Main Street Electrical Parade to honor Mickey's 50th Birthday. Donald was on the Drum Float instead.
DGSlyax.png

In color
LftvV3yl.png

ls9wUqbl.png

ToK6ggFl.png

Apparently the 1978 float later got reused for "Mickey's 60th Birthday" in 1988 that was exclusive to Disneyland's version of MSEP.

The way Walt Disney World and Disneyland honored Mickey's 90th Birthday was underwhelming. They better make it up in 2028 (Which marks Mickey's 100th Birthday").

Last edited:

Disone

If you talk to people in the Entertainment Division, Paint was infamous from the day they started training. It was physically hard on performers and support crews and had a lot of injuries. It was extremely expensive to maintain because of the lighting technology and many pieces constantly breaking. I've heard plenty of stories over the years. I know of people who left entertainment because of that parade.
Yet Hong Kong, who got their version first, doesn't seem to struggle with keeping it going. Leads me to believe other factors are at play besides costs and injury.

Old Mouseketeer

Yet Hong Kong, who got their version first, doesn't seem to struggle with keeping it going. Leads me to believe other factors are at play besides costs and injury.

Do you know people in the Entertainment Division in Hong Kong? At DL, Paint has had a lot of problems. Even when they tried to learn from Hong Kong's experience, there were problems. Setting up the costumes is very labor intensive, fitting the performers is a constant pain, and it's physically demanding for the various crews, as well as the performers. But hey, what do I know? I've only had close friends and professional associates in Entertainment on both coasts since the '70s, including a Director of Entertainment and head of audio at WDW, three Candlelight Directors, and the founder of Voices of Liberty and at least a dozen Voices cast members. In recent years at DL, Paint and Frozen were the two venues with the most injuries among both cast and crew. But if you say Hong Kong didn't struggle, may you're right. But I do know that changes were made specifically because of their difficulties.

Disone

Do you know people in the Entertainment Division in Hong Kong? At DL, Paint has had a lot of problems. Even when they tried to learn from Hong Kong's experience, there were problems. Setting up the costumes is very labor intensive, fitting the performers is a constant pain, and it's physically demanding for the various crews, as well as the performers. But hey, what do I know? I've only had close friends and professional associates in Entertainment on both coasts since the '70s, including a Director of Entertainment and head of audio at WDW, three Candlelight Directors, and the founder of Voices of Liberty and at least a dozen Voices cast members. In recent years at DL, Paint and Frozen were the two venues with the most injuries among both cast and crew. But if you say Hong Kong didn't struggle, may you're right. But I do know that changes were made specifically because of their difficulties.
Do you? Those are a lot of credentials you certainly threw around. This was not a personal attack on you sir. It is a matter of fact observation that regardless of all of these things you have shared, Hong Kong seems to have found a way.

RescueTheDay

Do you? Those are a lot of credentials you certainly threw around. This was not a personal attack on you sir. It is a matter of fact observation that regardless of all of these things you have shared, Hong Kong seems to have found a way.

Problems are happening for both versions of PTN. Big difference is when they happen in America you’re seeing a lot more paperwork and workers comp cases pop up. This causes a major headache for Disney and adds up to be even more costly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom