New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I hope that a lot of the technology used in World of Color will be used here. I do hope that Disney will put in seating and not just have standing areas as they do with World of Color.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
I have the same question I had in the beginning. Is the water in this "lagoon" a treated stand alone body of water or is it part of the "canal system" for the parks? My impression was that it is part of the larger canal system. While I do not believe Naegleria fowleri would be a concern, I still am not sure I want to be misted with swamp water....... Those screens kick some serious spray that you can feel at World of Color. Anyone of authority know what this body of water is?

*1023*

P.S. Naegleria fowleri (aka the brain eater) is a dangerous ameoba usually found in warm sedimentary areas of untreated water.

flyerjab

I have the same question I had in the beginning. Is the water in this "lagoon" a treated stand alone body of water or is it part of the "canal system" for the parks? My impression was that it is part of the larger canal system. While I do not believe Naegleria fowleri would be a concern, I still am not sure I want to be misted with swamp water....... Those screens kick some serious spray that you can feel at World of Color. Anyone of authority know what this body of water is?

*1023*

P.S. Naegleria fowleri (aka the brain eater) is a dangerous ameoba usually found in warm sedimentary areas of untreated water.

I've been wondering about this myself. I am hoping it won't be a concern.

Minthorne

*1023*

So no Rivers of Death for you?

LL2WDW

*1023*

It is pretty easy to answer your own question, as it relates to the larger canal system, by looking at Google Earth. It is a stand alone lake.

Having said that, it is entirely different from WOC, in that it is not a concrete "bath tub". It is a man made pond that is filled by runoff water from the surrounding area, and therefore subject to the same type of biological concerns as, say, Seven Seas Lagoon.

It is pretty easy to answer your own question, as it relates to the larger canal system, by looking at Google Earth. It is a stand alone lake.

Having said that, it is entirely different from WOC, in that it is not a concrete "bath tub". It is a man made pond that is filled by runoff water from the surrounding area, and therefore subject to the same type of biological concerns as, say, Seven Seas Lagoon.

So as a stand alone lake, the water can still be managed. Google Earth is not conclusive enough for me (water not being visible is not the same as not connected). I was asking for someone to speak with specific information. In the sense that this lake is not a bath tub, that was obvious. Entirely different is debatable. A better question may be, will they use fresh treated water for the spray screens? But I would still like to know definitively if this is connected to the management canals.

*1023*

Last edited:

LL2WDW

So as a stand alone lake, the water can still be managed. Google Earth is not conclusive enough for me (water not being visible is not the same as not connected). I was asking for someone to speak with specific information. In the sense that this lake is not a bath tub, that was obvious. Entirely different is debatable. A better question may be, will the use fresh treated water for the spray screens? But I would still like to know definitively if this is connected to the management canals.

*1023*

Entirely different is not debatable. The two basins, DCA and DAK, ARE entirely different.

Who knows whether they may use fresh water for the screens, that I cannot comment upon. But the lake is not connected to the canals. Though, I certainly realize you don't have to take my word as fact. I have had 17 years of exposure to the backstage of DAK, but I admit I am not a member of the SFWMD.

Last edited:

Entirely different is not debatable. The two basins, DCA and DAK, ARE entirely different.

Who knows whether they may use fresh water for the screens, that I cannot comment upon. But the lake is not connected to the canals. Though, I certainly realize you don't have to take my word as fact. I have had 17 years of exposure to the backstage of DAK, but I admit I am not a member of the SFWMD.

So they aren't using water screen projection, lights, water, fog effects, fire and music for the presentation of the show? The water basin makes it that different?

As far as the canal system not being connected, that's the information I was looking for. I was not aware you were a cast member, hence, the repeated request for information.

*1023*

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, June 19. There is a new "rock formation" in the lake, part of the show feature, located between the Finding Nemo theatre and the Dinoland bridge. The top of this rock feature is covered with a beige tarp. There is a work barge in the water behind this feature today.

IMG_5571.JPG

IMG_5573.JPG

hpyhnt 1000

Photo update as of Friday, June 19. There is a new "rock formation" in the lake, part of the show feature, located between the Finding Nemo theatre and the Dinoland bridge. The top of this rock feature is covered with a beige tarp. There is a work barge in the water behind this feature today.

Hmm...retractable show infrastructure perhaps? The tarp on top makes me thing it could be a hollow shell for storing lighting and other effects during the day.

RayTheFirefly

Is the "rock" element built atop that concrete object that they poured or placed out there early on?
The one seen in photos 5 and 6 of this gallery? http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...ay2015-rivers-of-light-construction/24161.htm

It looks like there were pipes sticking out of that concrete platform (where the rock formation now is) to me. How cool would it be if those were for fountains and/or gas lines to make it a sort of mini-volcano a la the Mirage volcano in Vegas? :)

9660817808_e3ffb0b463_b.jpg

I'm not knowledgeable at all on pyrotechnics, though. It also looks like it may be too close to the crowd/trees to be anything like that, though. Just day dreaming. :)

ToTBellHop

some pretty good shots of current work on ROL on OTPN Monday.
Look for page 3 of their Starbucks at AK update from the 29th.

Here's just one pic from the post, good to see so many workers on site at one time. Maybe some parts of this work with speed up?
vM9Zpyx.jpg
Yes. It opens in 8 months so work will accelerate now that behind-the-scenes improvements that are largely invisible to us are wrapping up. The viewing areas should start to come together over the next 6 months.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
some pretty good shots of current work on ROL on OTPN Monday.
Look for page 3 of their Starbucks at AK update from the 29th.

Here's just one pic from the post, good to see so many workers on site at one time. Maybe some parts of this work with speed up?
vM9Zpyx.jpg

Based on all the little openings in the wall I assume this is going to be for lasers or projectors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom