New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

slackhouse

Saw this tonight and thought it was fantastic minus one thing. One of the four smaller lotus didn't open or do water for the first 3/4ths of the show. Other than that it was great.

I actually prefer that there is no loud booms, fireworks, or anything else flashy. It is a great show and look forward to any improvements/additions in the future.

And for anyone wanting to do standby, that side was 99% full about 45 minutes before showtime.

Last edited:

RussM45

I tried to see the show standby Thursday evening. I arrived at the standby line area about 6:30, which was clearly later than optimal. A CM was saying that only standing room remained, so I had notice of what to expect, but I waited in the line for at least 30 minutes, then was led to a standing area room above the Asia side seats shortly before the show began. I may have been a little unlucky with the specific position I got, as there were quite a few people standing one level down from me, which somewhat obstructed my view of the foreground. I had seen the show from the fastpass seats once before, and the view from the seats is considerably better, both from being closer and without any obstructions. My impression, although this might not be correct, was that everyone in the standby line eventually got into the standing room area, so that I might have done about as well by arriving in the standby line quite a bit later than I did.

I like Rivers of Light quite a bit, but don't really view my standby experience as successful. It was a long wait standing in a stationary line outside the theatre, leading to a less than fully satisfying view of the show. On the positive side, I was one of the first people out of the theatre at the end of the show, and was able to leave the area without much congestion.

I think that if you need to do standby and want a good quality experience, you should arrive quite a bit earlier than I did. Of course, that will require a long wait, but perhaps you can wait while in your seats.

Hopefully fastpasses will be more easily available as time goes on, when the show is offered every night, and when Pandora opens.

IMDREW

Although I do like the show in its current form, watching this presentation makes you dream about what it could have been would all the effects have been working from day 1. I think the small lanterns really would be an extra layer to the show and what was he talking about the fireflies being a 'mayor' part of the show?

cjkeating

Lets hope now that the show is up and running they are working on some of the elements that didn't make it to the Day One version.

Does anyone know where the smoke effects were meant to be used? The only time I ever heard the smoke effect mentioned or saw it demonstrated was the 2015 D23 presentation with Joe Rohde.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I've seen this show four times now. I noticed this past Saturday at the second show that they have made some minor GPS tweaks to the floats and lotus flowers. They seem to have pulled the show in closer and tighter to the audience rather than being so far out on the water. It made the show even more enjoyable than it already was/is. I also brought a first-timer, non-Disney fan with me. I didn't tell him anything about the show. He admitted to me that he did "tear up" near the end of the show, and thought it was a very beautiful production. So there's that.
The position of the floats is set in stone at this point, and they have not moved position. All of the safety inspections etc have been done with certain position criteria. It might have been your viewing position that made it look different.

Glad you enjoyed it!

peter11435

The position of the floats is set in stone at this point, and they have not moved position. All of the safety inspections etc have been done with certain position criteria. It might have been your viewing position that made it look different.

Glad you enjoyed it!
This is correct.

The crew at animal kingdom has no access to modify positioning programming.

Kman101

Glad to see more performances added! Guest feedback going well?

Checked for most of this week and didn't notice any FPs. Guess I'll keep checking. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it to the opening night last month and still haven't been able to get to the parks ...

Last edited:

PREMiERdrum

For those of you who have been recently... is standby still workable for the later show? I was able to snag a FastPass for the first show on 3/23, but it conflicts with an 8pm ADR that I'm not sure I'll be able to shift.

danheaton

I'm amazed that there will be many people in the Animal Kingdom at 10 p.m. on weekdays in March. I know that there are crowds for Spring Break, but that would surprise me. What I like is that we're doing an 8:45 show in late March on a Tuesday, and now we won't have to fight everyone to leave the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom