New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Kman101

So if we saw a show that featured no characters, and then same said show with pictures of Mickey popping up, that instantly makes the show better? No, no it doesn't. Adding Bambi won't make the show any better. So that's why I don't get that apparently the higher ups want IPs. I mean, what else can it be? We aren't getting fireworks so ....

Gomer

I'm really starting to believe that a good portion of people on this site would like to see all children removed from Disney World.
Adults love WDW because it brings out the child in us...it reminds us and places us back to the innocence of our youth.

Like I said, in the Disney of my youth I think Pirates was better, but I can't say for certain if that's actually true or because I was a child at that time and am an adult now.

This is mostly my point. I have two kids who love WDW. Both the parts with characters, and moreso the parts without. You loved Pirates before Jack Sparrow. Somehow, it was still fantastic without him. I loved Haunted Mansion as a kid, even without any characters.

No one wants to remove kids from the parks. If anything, my point has been that is the parents who direct their kids towards anything recognizable as a kid approved product by default. But kids have far wider interests than that. They want adventure. They want to enter fantasy worlds, and see fantastic things. A kid can love Rivers of light just as much without characters as with it, if it is a good show. So, why tack it on for no reason?

If the attraction is engaging and sparks the imagination, kids and adults will love it regardless of whether they are already familiar with a character that is used within.

There is nitpicking about theming. At this point, Disney itself is it's own theme IMO.

That sentiment, is why many fear the parks will all turn into one homogonized mass of Magi Kingdom-like sameness. Disney isn't a theme it's a brand. When I go WDW I want to enter worlds. Find myself in the future, the old west, the jungles of Africa, or a Alien Space Port, not find myself in the Walt Disney advertising catalogue. Those IP's are welcome if the theme and attractions are built to use them seamlessly (fantasyland, Avatarland, Star Wars land, etc...). But when you tack them on as a lazy attempt to breed familiarity, it lacks imagination and creativity, and makes the entire park feel like less of a transportation from reality and more like a trip to the mall to look at things you know you already like.

It is a product of our current entertainment culture. Its the same reason why most movies are sequels, adaptations, or reboots. Businesses are risk averse, so they create a climate where they only offer you the familiar, without creating anything new to ensure your interest. But in the end, it's a cow chewing on its cud. Regurgitating the same mass over and over again until there's nothing of value left. When the parks cease creating new things and only reuse what we already know, they cease to be essential on their own merits.

21stamps

This is mostly my point. I have two kids who love WDW. Both the parts with characters, and moreso the parts without. You loved Pirates before Jack Sparrow. Somehow, it was still fantastic without him. I loved Haunted Mansion as a kid, even without any characters.

No one wants to remove kids from the parks. If anything, my point has been that is the parents who direct their kids towards anything recognizable as a kid approved product by default. But kids have far wider interests than that. They want adventure. They want to enter fantasy worlds, and see fantastic things. A kid can love Rivers of light just as much without characters as with it, if it is a good show. So, why tack it on for no reason?

If the attraction is engaging and sparks the imagination, kids and adults will love it regardless of whether they are already familiar with a character that is used within.

That sentiment, is why many fear the parks will all turn into one homogonized mass of Magi Kingdom-like sameness. Disney isn't a theme it's a brand. When I go WDW I want to enter worlds. Find myself in the future, the old west, the jungles of Africa, or a Alien Space Port, not find myself in the Walt Disney advertising catalogue. Those IP's are welcome if the theme and attractions are built to use them seamlessly (fantasyland, Avatarland, Star Wars land, etc...). But when you tack them on as a lazy attempt to breed familiarity, it lacks imagination and creativity, and makes the entire park feel like less of a transportation from reality and more like a trip to the mall to look at things you know you already like.

It is a product of our current entertainment culture. Its the same reason why most movies are sequels, adaptations, or reboots. Businesses are risk averse, so they create a climate where they only offer you the familiar, without creating anything new to ensure your interest. But in the end, it's a cow chewing on its cud. Regurgitating the same mass over and over again until there's nothing of value left. When the parks cease creating new things and only reuse what we already know, they cease to be essential on their own merits.

Kids do want adventure etc, they do not need, and shouldn't be provided with a life filled of animated characters. I am in complete agreement with you there. My point has been that now kids experience that kind of stuff on a regular basis in today's world. It is more difficult to "wow" kids today than it was 50,30, or even 20 years ago. Disney characters integrated into a park are something that they can not experience anywhere else.
I mentioned the street shows in the Africa section of AK..they are wonderful, and they are void of character reference...I'm not saying everything needs a character to be good, but characters do have a huge place in the parks, and I don't think it dumbs them down whatsoever.

Gomer

Kids do want adventure etc, they do not need, and shouldn't be provided with a life filled of animated characters. I am in complete agreement with you there. My point has been that now kids experience that kind of stuff on a regular basis in today's world. It is more difficult to "wow" kids today than it was 50,30, or even 20 years ago. Disney characters integrated into a park are something that they can not experience anywhere else.
I mentioned the street shows in the Africa section of AK..they are wonderful, and they are void of character reference...I'm not saying everything needs a character to be good, but characters do have a huge place in the parks, and I don't think it dumbs them down whatsoever.
I agree. They do play a huge part, but they shouldn't be everywhere There should be a balance, as I had said from my first post on the topic. Putting characters everywhere destroys the balance. And it seems with each new thing that is built, we get about 90% IP and 10% otherwise. The split used ot be far more even, or at times skewed towards non-IP in the past.

As far as kids being exposed to these things elsewhere. First, I don't think the theming and immersion in any of the museums (the pictures you included where very nice, but not on the level of DIsney's best in my opinion) is quite up to what it feels like to go on Jungle cruise, or walk around Tom Sawyer's Island. But even if kids are exposed to more detailed theming in other places, that just means the technology has caught up and Disney needs to up its game. Adding characters to mask the fact that other places have caught up won't keep them on top. It's just spraying perfume in the litter box. If they want to continue to be the top name in themed entertainment for the world, then they need to outdo your local museums, science centers, and themed hotels. Right now they seem content to just do the same + Mickey.

21stamps

I agree. They do play a huge part, but they shouldn't be everywhere There should be a balance, as I had said from my first post on the topic. Putting characters everywhere destroys the balance. And it seems with each new thing that is built, we get about 90% IP and 10% otherwise. The split used ot be far more even, or at times skewed towards non-IP in the past.

As far as kids being exposed to these things elsewhere. First, I don't think the theming and immersion in any of the museums (the pictures you included where very nice, but not on the level of DIsney's best in my opinion) is quite up to what it feels like to go on Jungle cruise, or walk around Tom Sawyer's Island. But even if kids are exposed to more detailed theming in other places, that just means the technology has caught up and Disney needs to up its game. Adding characters to mask the fact that other places have caught up won't keep them on top. It's just spraying perfume in the litter box. If they want to continue to be the top name in themed entertainment for the world, then they need to outdo your local museums, science centers, and themed hotels. Right now they seem content to just do the same + Mickey.
Disney themes do "outdo" the local museums, parks, zoos, etc. as they should, their educational experiences do not. Disney won't replace what they can offer...and I don't want them to. Disney is more about fun and fantasy than it is about learning...I can think of a ton of educational trips, but WDW is nowhere on the list. SeaWorld would even be above WDW on that list, for me. There are things to learn sure, just as you can learn anywhere, but the "educational" aspect of Disney is not anywhere near exclusive, or as good as what someone could receive elsewhere. This is what I said earlier, when you get into the educational stuff, does it matter that the theming may be a little more immersive than the best museums, zoos, and aquariums in this country? Or when you get into the theme alone topic- What about other beautifully themed fun filled resorts? If kids have these immersive experiences on a regular basis do they care that Disney's animals are in a bit more scenic environment? It's still the same experience. I compare Atlantis to Disney a lot bc I love both, and both themes.. As a result they are in direct competition for my family vacation dollars. Much more than Universal is at this time. Disney won out the past 2 years bc of their characters and my nostalgia (meaning wanting my kid to have that same childhood experience at WDW as I did)....and mostly WDW won out this year because- Star Wars. If it wasn't for Star Wars we would have been on DCL, not at WDW. The force was strong there.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
But to the rest of my comment..the way Jack is integrated into more than the ride..it all flows together doesn't it?

No. The ride's 'story' is complete nonsense and Jack's place in it is inexplicable.

1. "Dead men tell no tales." And yet, they're going to tell a tale. And the two people on the mist don't really introduce themselves. So... who are they?

2. Beach with pirate and mermaid skeletons. OK... why?

3. Living skeleton piloting a sailing ship in the rain. OK... why?

4. Ship attacking a fort. British ship? Pirate ship? Not clear. Looking for Jack Sparrow and gold. Why?

5. Pirates (?) torturing townsfolk looking for Jack Sparrow. They all seem to want to protect him. Is he their local hero? Oh, look, someone's watching from around the corner and hiding. Is that Jack? Well, since he's willing to let people get tortured to protect him, I guess he's no hero.

6. A slave-bride auction. I hear the Redhead is preferred. What does this have to do with the tale?

7. Several pairs of figures are on a laughable fast roundtable that is supposed to simulate running I guess. Is this based on a cartoon show? One pair is carrying a chest... of treasure? Is that part of the tale? Are any of the other runners part of the tale? One oaf is looking at a treasure map bragging that Captain Jack Sparrow will never get his hands on it. And look, I guess that's Jack popping up from the barrel reading over his shoulder.

8. An alcoholic pirate talking to his cats.

9. A sea shanty that carousing pirates sing while a city burns. A pirates life for me!

10. Pirates in prison trying to call over a dog who inexplicably holds the key. A pirate's life for me, indeed!

11. Captain Jack with his hoard mumbling something incomprehensible. Yay (?) Captain Jack! (?) He... did it?

This 'attraction' exists purely based on the power of nostalgia.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
No. The ride's 'story' is complete nonsense and Jack's place in it is inexplicable.

1. "Dead men tell no tales." And yet, they're going to tell a tale. And the two people on the mist don't really introduce themselves. So... who are they?

4. Ship attacking a fort. British ship? Pirate ship? Not clear. Looking for Jack Sparrow and gold. Why?

5. Pirates (?) torturing townsfolk looking for Jack Sparrow. They all seem to want to protect him. Is he their local hero? Oh, look, someone's watching from around the corner and hiding. Is that Jack? Well, since he's willing to let people get tortured to protect him, I guess he's no hero.

6. A slave-bride auction. I hear the Redhead is preferred. What does this have to do with the tale?

7. Several pairs of figures are on a laughable fast roundtable that is supposed to simulate running I guess. Is this based on a cartoon show? One pair is carrying a chest... of treasure? Is that part of the tale? Are any of the other runners part of the tale? One oaf is looking at a treasure map bragging that Captain Jack Sparrow will never get his hands on it. And look, I guess that's Jack popping up from the barrel reading over his shoulder.

9. A sea shanty that carousing pirates sing while a city burns. A pirates life for me!

10. Pirates in prison trying to call over a dog who inexplicably holds the key. A pirate's life for me, indeed!

11. Captain Jack with his hoard mumbling something incomprehensible. Yay (?) Captain Jack! (?) He... did it?

You have too much time on your hands. Lol.

21stamps

The comment I posted was referencing the Pirate Tutorial and shows with Jack Sparrow. They go hand in hand with a ride being themed with the pirates from the movies, there was no way Disney could have left him out of the attraction. The mermaid skeleton and tortured townsperson are odd to me. I don't know how where or why those scenes exist, unless I missed that part in one of the movies.

Gomer

Disney themes do "outdo" the local museums, parks, zoos, etc. as they should, their educational experiences do not. Disney won't replace what they can offer...and I don't want them to. Disney is more about fun and fantasy than it is about learning...I can think of a ton of educational trips, but WDW is nowhere on the list. SeaWorld would even be above WDW on that list, for me. There are things to learn sure, just as you can learn anywhere, but the "educational" aspect of Disney is not anywhere near exclusive, or as good as what someone could receive elsewhere. This is what I said earlier, when you get into the educational stuff, does it matter that the theming may be a little more immersive than the best museums, zoos, and aquariums in this country? Or when you get into the theme alone topic- What about other beautifully themed fun filled resorts? If kids have these immersive experiences on a regular basis do they care that Disney's animals are in a bit more scenic environment? It's still the same experience. I compare Atlantis to Disney a lot bc I love both, and both themes.. As a result they are in direct competition for my family vacation dollars. Much more than Universal is at this time. Disney won out the past 2 years bc of their characters and my nostalgia (meaning wanting my kid to have that same childhood experience at WDW as I did)....and mostly WDW won out this year because- Star Wars.
I don't think anyone ever said they would beat out a museum on educational experiences. All I am saying is that they beat everyone else on immersion into theme. And they used to apply those themes in many ways. To their characters and classic childhood themes in MK, to education and world culture in Epcot, to the creation of movies in DHS, and to Animals and the environment in DAK.

To me, WDW was never about the fastest rides, the best educational exhibits, the cutest characters, it was about presenting these things in their deeply immersive themed environments. That is "Disney difference". Yes, I could have learned more about the oceans at one of the many great aquariums in my area. But The Living Seas inspired me to want to learn by making me feel what it would be like to travel to a futuristic undesea base so that I would go to those aquariums and seek out more knowledge. Yes, I could get a better view of the American Frontier with a trip to the Grand Canyon, but Frontierland inspired a life long love of Westerns and an interest in the age of American expansion that stick with me to this day.

It is not the Disney did any one thing that is now lacking. Its that it presented everything they did in such a unique way that transported you into the content and made you fall in love with the topics and properties. From scents and sounds, to visuals and music, the environments surrounded you. Something I have yet to see fully realized by any other entity. The immersion and the theme were what came first, because it sold the content regardless of what it was.

TO bring it back on topic, Old WDW would have made a RoL that sent people home remembering its characters, story, and music on its own merits. A RoL that would make a kid want to find out about the issues that it touched on, the animals it presented, or even the technology that went into creating it. Now, it seems they would rather just rest on the content that was created by their movie studio to appeal to their consumers. And that is their choice. Clearly pasting characters on these experiences pleases many fans. But it disappoints many as well, who love these theme parks as "theme parks" and not as "Disney Parks". And there are many of us not just contained to message boards.

There is an easy way to keep everyone happy though. Just use IP's in moderation like they always have and trust that the same thing that made people love the park for its first 30 years will win people over now. A balance of attractions that appeal to a variety demographics and interests by presenting it in a fully fleshed out and creative way. I don't think the consumer has changed that much that what we were given 20 years ago would no longer suffice. Disney clearly does, but there is still a demand for creative and artistic themed entertainment. They are just too risk averse to give us the opportunity to prove them wrong anymore.

21stamps

I don't think anyone ever said they would beat out a museum on educational experiences. All I am saying is that they beat everyone else on immersion into theme. And they used to apply those themes in many ways. To their characters and classic childhood themes in MK, to education and world culture in Epcot, to the creation of movies in DHS, and to Animals and the environment in DAK.

To me, WDW was never about the fastest rides, the best educational exhibits, the cutest characters, it was about presenting these things in their deeply immersive themed environments. That is "Disney difference". Yes, I could have learned more about the oceans at one of the many great aquariums in my area. But The Living Seas inspired me to want to learn by making me feel what it would be like to travel to a futuristic undesea base so that I would go to those aquariums and seek out more knowledge. Yes, I could get a better view of the American Frontier with a trip to the Grand Canyon, but Frontierland inspired a life long love of Westerns and an interest in the age of American expansion that stick with me to this day.

It is not the Disney did any one thing that is now lacking. Its that it presented everything they did in such a unique way that transported you into the content and made you fall in love with the topics and properties. From scents and sounds, to visuals and music, the environments surrounded you. Something I have yet to see fully realized by any other entity. The immersion and the theme were what came first, because it sold the content regardless of what it was.

TO bring it back on topic, Old WDW would have made a RoL that sent people home remembering its characters, story, and music on its own merits. A RoL that would make a kid want to find out about the issues that it touched on, the animals it presented, or even the technology that went into creating it. Now, it seems they would rather just rest on the content that was created by their movie studio to appeal to their consumers. And that is their choice. Clearly pasting characters on these experiences pleases many fans. But it disappoints many as well, who love these theme parks as "theme parks" and not as "Disney Parks". And there are many of us not just contained to message boards.

There is an easy way to keep everyone happy though. Just use IP's in moderation like they always have and trust that the same thing that made people love the park for its first 30 years will win people over now. A balance of attractions that appeal to a variety demographics and interests by presenting it in a fully fleshed out and creative way. I don't think the consumer has changed that much that what we were given 20 years ago would no longer suffice. Disney clearly does, but there is still a demand for creative and artistic themed entertainment. They are just too risk averse to give us the opportunity to prove them wrong anymore.

I think the easily explainable answer here..and what someone, maybe you?, said a few pages ago.. it that we all view and love Disney a little differently. It is absolutely wonderful that Disney inspired you in the way you described.. WDW never did that for me..SeaWorld did when it comes to marine life..but even without that type of inspiration I still have a great love and admiration WDW.

There's no right or wrong on why someone holds Disney so dear. Imagine how tough it must be for them to try to please all of us..at the same time! It's nearly impossible..which is why there will always be some people who like the decisions made, and others who do not.

EPCOTCenterLover

From the very beginning, Walt made sure Disneyland was kid friendly but not kid centric. The park was designed for the whole family to enjoy together. The move toward child centric parenting (versus wise parenting which looks first to the overall child welfare and development instead of attaining a kid's approval) is one of the core reasons adults now insist on dumbing down Disney parks.

21stamps

From the very beginning, Walt made sure Disneyland was kid friendly but not kid centric. The park was designed for the whole family to enjoy together. The move toward child centric parenting (versus wise parenting which looks first to the overall child welfare and development instead of attaining a kid's approval) is one of the core reasons adults now insist on dumbing down Disney parks.
That's where I fervently disagree. I think kids are more educated now than they've been in quite some time. Formally and in experiences.

ETA- maybe that's why I love the character aspect even more. Kids today are reading at 3, organized sports at age 3, practing sports 4 days per week at age 5.. 30-45 minutes of homework per night starting in kindergarten..sports camps, educational camps etc taking up their summers and school breaks..

I don't know everyone's ages here.. but in the 70s and 80s that was not the norm. Sometimes it's good to let them have a break from that all and just enjoy being a kid..with classic and new Disney characters that they know and love.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

The ride's story is not so much nonsense and inexplicable as non-narrative. Or at least non-linear. This allows you to project your own thoughts and ideas, even aids to bring you into a dream-like state as in cinema or long dark rides, where reality is replaced.

LukeS7

Don't think anybody's posted these, but here's the high-res versions of the photos from the page on Disney's site
river-of-lights-owls-blue-16x9.jpg

river-of-light-river-pods-16x9.jpg

rivers-of-light-boats-16x9.jpg

rivers-of-light-elephant-16x9.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom