Rumor New nighttime show at Epcot

yoda_5729

I just watched the Tim Trackers Instagram story and songs like the 2020 show will feature songs in different languages. Said Moana song will be played in different languages. If true that would be interesting.

Well, I will admit, I hadn't thought of that, and it at the very least is an attempt at making it unique. However, I would assume the inclusion of the IPs is to be more inclusive towards a younger demographic. If that's the case, having famous Disney songs sung in other languages would probably be pretty confusing for many people to follow along with. It would make it feel more cultured and closer to Epcot, but I think you'd be gaining some with the characters, but losing others due to the difficulties in understanding other languages.

Kman101

I just watched the Tim Trackers Instagram story and songs like the 2020 show will feature songs in different languages. Said Moana song will be played in different languages. If true that would be interesting.

I'll give them *some* props if they truly try and make this unique, but featuring IP. I do think it sounds like they're "trying" but we have so little to go on, lol. Again, there's a good way to do this, I think (and again, the purists won't be happy but I try and find a middle ground ...) so we'll see if they can pull it off. I feel like they know IP isn't wanted in a night show at Epcot but they have to do it. There's middle ground between IP and Epcot but they haven't found it yet.

TTA94

I'll give them *some* props if they truly try and make this unique, but featuring IP. I do think it sounds like they're "trying" but we have so little to go on, lol. Again, there's a good way to do this, I think (and again, the purists won't be happy but I try and find a middle ground ...) so we'll see if they can pull it off. I feel like they know IP isn't wanted in a night show at Epcot but they have to do it. There's middle ground between IP and Epcot but they haven't found it yet.

I think it’s a Steve Davison show. Visually his shows do not disappoint. IP wise, well, he’s great for that.

MickeyMinnieMom

Meh. I can’t stand the current show, so am looking forward to any change. I’m not jazzed about IP all over the permanent show, but if well executed it could still be better from our family’s perspective than the current show.

Kman101

Epcot Forever
Epcot Farewell
:(

Pretty much.

And from a marketing standpoint it makes sense what they're doing: get the Epcot fans to come see Illuminations: ROE one last time. Get Epcot fans to come back and see the interim show, and then everybody shows up for the new show because, well, it's new and curious minds ... It's no secret Epcot's been Epcot Lite on Crowds for the last two years

yoda_5729

I think that Frozen in a way was a positive and a negative to the parks, though not by it's own doing was it at fault. Obviously it was a very successful, popular movie people liked. It being added somewhere in Disney World was obvious. They made the decision that Frozen would be added as a ride to Epcot. Okay, that can work, but one of Frozen's greatest assets is it's music. The soundtrack is one of the best Disney's had in years. Let it Go is perfect for fireworks, and firework shows are Disney's bread and butter. However, Epcot's fireworks, Illuminations, can't have Frozen in it. But, we can put the Frozen fireworks bit into the Magic Kingdom's fireworks and even for the holidays have the ice castle be Frozen inspired. Then at Hollywood Studios we can have a sing-along with Frozen characters. Animal Kingdom is the only park without Frozen.

It used to be, most movies were lucky to get one area of one park. For example, Dumbo. Dumbo has his ride (and as far as I'm concerned should always have that ride.) To my knowledge, Dumbo isn't represented anyplace else. He might be in Fantasmic or Happily Ever After for a second, but now he has his own area of Magic Kingdom, and that's where Dumbo fans can go to see Dumbo. Alice in Wonderland has the Mad Tea Party area. Some huge movies have very little footprint, as the only real mention to 101 Dalmatians in the four parks is at the firestation on Mainstreet (and All-Star Movies). Bambi gets topiary every now and then. Jungle Book, Wall-E, and others are sporadic at best.

With Frozen breaking down the walls in terms of being in parks, you can take most of Disney's movies and make a case for it being almost anywhere. But some make a lot more sense then others. I was concerned when Frozen moved into Epcot how that'd work because you'd have all the Frozen fans visiting Epcot and when night fell, and they watched fireworks, none of there beloved Frozen would be seen. Moana can fit into Adventureland, she's from Polynesia, so that works for Epcot. It was a movie, so Hollywood Studios can have her, and Maui changes into many animals, not to mention the rooster. Obviously Animal Kingdom I would think would be the least likely, but with some of the stretches they've made recently, I wonder. That Moana be represented somewhere I don't have a beef with, but I don't know that she needs to be everywhere. Ratatouille is on the castle for a few seconds in HEA, and will be in France, and the Food and Wine. I think that's great, and fitting. If you were sticking Remy in every park, it starts to lose steam for me.

tirian

Once again, current leadership proves it doesn’t know how to do anything except push existing IPs to sell toys. I hope the fanboys love Soarin’, Space Mt., Everest, etc., because Disney won’t give them anything like that for the foreseeable future.

Marketing was right. The New Fantasyland expansion at the MK WAS the biggest growth in WDW’s history. It will soon spread to the entire resort. Fantasyland MK, Fantasyland Epcot, Fantasyland Studios, Fantasyland DAK.

Kman101

I think that Frozen in a way was a positive and a negative to the parks, though not by it's own doing was it at fault. Obviously it was a very successful, popular movie people liked. It being added somewhere in Disney World was obvious. They made the decision that Frozen would be added as a ride to Epcot. Okay, that can work, but one of Frozen's greatest assets is it's music. The soundtrack is one of the best Disney's had in years. Let it Go is perfect for fireworks, and firework shows are Disney's bread and butter. However, Epcot's fireworks, Illuminations, can't have Frozen in it. But, we can put the Frozen fireworks bit into the Magic Kingdom's fireworks and even for the holidays have the ice castle be Frozen inspired. Then at Hollywood Studios we can have a sing-along with Frozen characters. Animal Kingdom is the only park without Frozen.

It used to be, most movies were lucky to get one area of one park. For example, Dumbo. Dumbo has his ride (and as far as I'm concerned should always have that ride.) To my knowledge, Dumbo isn't represented anyplace else. He might be in Fantasmic or Happily Ever After for a second, but now he has his own area of Magic Kingdom, and that's where Dumbo fans can go to see Dumbo. Alice in Wonderland has the Mad Tea Party area. Some huge movies have very little footprint, as the only real mention to 101 Dalmatians in the four parks is at the firestation on Mainstreet (and All-Star Movies). Bambi gets topiary every now and then. Jungle Book, Wall-E, and others are sporadic at best.

With Frozen breaking down the walls in terms of being in parks, you can take most of Disney's movies and make a case for it being almost anywhere. But some make a lot more sense then others. I was concerned when Frozen moved into Epcot how that'd work because you'd have all the Frozen fans visiting Epcot and when night fell, and they watched fireworks, none of there beloved Frozen would be seen. Moana can fit into Adventureland, she's from Polynesia, so that works for Epcot. It was a movie, so Hollywood Studios can have her, and Maui changes into many animals, not to mention the rooster. Obviously Animal Kingdom I would think would be the least likely, but with some of the stretches they've made recently, I wonder. That Moana be represented somewhere I don't have a beef with, but I don't know that she needs to be everywhere. Ratatouille is on the castle for a few seconds in HEA, and will be in France, and the Food and Wine. I think that's great, and fitting. If you were sticking Remy in every park, it starts to lose steam for me.

I'm with you on on pretty much all of this. Well said. I don't have much else to add just wanted to say it was a nice post.

It did open the door and I think they knew it would, personally. It's a loose stretch and something that fits Fantasyland or a Frozen Land better, but at the same time, it's not exactly a rehash of the movie so it has that in it's favor (and like you said, Let it Go so they had to include it; it's still weak in a few areas but I don't begrudge it, just the location but I guess I need to get over it because, well, here we are).

I guess when we say "why is BATB now going to be in three parks" some say "why not?" LOL. IDK. I just think there's a way IP and Epcot can co-exist but they don't seem interested in trying hard enough. Maybe if they switch Nemo to a better ride and do a few other things I'll say they are trying but it's still a mess ... lol

yoda_5729

It was true, even before Frozen that some movies were represented in more then one park ala Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid, but I wish they'd make it more organized. I can see a parent having enough money to take their kid for one day to a Disney park. If that kid loves Frozen, they probably should go to Epcot, but they will be missing out on a lot of things at both Hollywood Studios and most notably Magic Kingdom. However, if you are interested in Pandora, you buy a one day pass to Animal Kingdom and go home with the option to have experienced everything. Same for Star Wars. Had they put Frozen in Magic Kingdom to begin with, or Hollywood Studios, they could have avoided that problem as either can have Frozen inspired fireworks/shows. I think they put it in World Showcase not because it was an obvious choice, but because they wanted more attendance in the WS pavilions.

Sir_Cliff

Meh. I can’t stand the current show, so am looking forward to any change. I’m not jazzed about IP all over the permanent show, but if well executed it could still be better from our family’s perspective than the current show.
To be honest, I don't love the current show either. In theory, I am disappointed that everything has to have IP these days. However, this concept art looks pretty good, and they have really won me over by including Coco, Hercules, and Moana front and centre as I love those films!

If they go the route of including the songs in different languages, I think this could turn out to be a really nice show.

Kman101

It was true, even before Frozen that some movies were represented in more then one park ala Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid, but I wish they'd make it more organized. I can see a parent having enough money to take their kid for one day to a Disney park. If that kid loves Frozen, they probably should go to Epcot, but they will be missing out on a lot of things at both Hollywood Studios and most notably Magic Kingdom. However, if you are interested in Pandora, you buy a one day pass to Animal Kingdom and go home with the option to have experienced everything. Same for Star Wars. Had they put Frozen in Magic Kingdom to begin with, or Hollywood Studios, they could have avoided that problem as either can have Frozen inspired fireworks/shows. I think they put it in World Showcase not because it was an obvious choice, but because they wanted more attendance in the WS pavilions.

I do wish they'd make it more organized. I think along those lines too. There should be specific draws. But I also think they're trying to give everybody a piece of what they want in the various parks. It's a mixed bag for sure. I'm not sure what move is the right move.

Like how some character meet and greets are specific to one park. It makes the guest go there to see them. But at the same time, I totally understand why they'd have the Fab 5 in every park. So, IDK ... it's sort of the same thing, not quite (obviously the Fab 5 is "different" but I think you probably know the point I'm trying to get at), but I personally don't need 'everything everywhere' so to speak.

Also kind of like merch in the stores. Why can't one store be dedicated to certain things, another to certain things. It's sort of kind of going in that direction, but not quite how I'm thinking.

RSoxNo1

Once again, current leadership proves it doesn’t know how to do anything except push existing IPs to sell toys. I hope the fanboys love Soarin’, Space Mt., Everest, etc., because Disney won’t give them anything like that for the foreseeable future.

Marketing was right. The New Fantasyland expansion at the MK WAS the biggest growth in WDW’s history. It will soon spread to the entire resort. Fantasyland MK, Fantasyland Epcot, Fantasyland Studios, Fantasyland DAK.
The description of the Epcot 2020 show screams like an ideal update to Fantasmic. I understand Epcot Forever's nostalgia base being fodder for a short lived show, but the replacement not only sounds like an inappropriate show for Epcot, but also a show that should have a short life span.

These montage type/best of shows are great fodder for the Magic Kingdom, Disneyland, and DHS fireworks shows. They're even great fodder for stage and 3D shows (PhilharMagic and Mickey's Magical Map), but this seems like a very far cry for what's appropriate for Epcot.

Epcot should inspire human kind to be better. Epcot should aspire to showcase the ideals of the world. The initial description of this show seems beyond vanilla.

MouseBrayden

A video preview of the 2020 show

No amount of ‘cutting-edge’ technology can make up for uncreative and recycled storytelling.

If this concept footage is any way representative of the permanent show coming to Epcot, fans looking for Disney IP shows will see this as an unoriginal Happily Ever After copy and Epcot fans will see it as the fundamental antithesis of the park’s theme and values Disney purports to want to live up to with this Epcot overhaul.

Especially following what is shaping up to be a memorable, nostalgic, and inspirational Epcot spectacular: Epcot Forever, this Project Kappa show appearing to consist of movie mash-ups is shaping up to be nothing close to a ‘permanent’ replacement to Illuminations.

BrianLo

and Epcot fans will see it as the fundamental antithesis of the park’s theme and values Disney purports to want to live up to with this Epcot overhaul.

There's your mistake. Disney no longer purports to E.P.C.O.T.

So as far as they are concerned... More timeless, more relevant, more family, more Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom