New Monorails?

Invero

Original Poster
Hey folks... Just thought I'd share this bit of info...

So I've been hearing some rumors through the grapevine. Apparently, there have been talks of purchasing new Monorails to replace our Mark VI series trains. I'm not sure whether or not this would have been through Bombardier, or through another company, but the price quoted was $17million per train. (Supposing everything runs within budget... HA...)

HOWEVER... the decision was made rather, to spend $5m to upgrade our existing fleet of trains. This upgrade would include improved communication and monitoring systems, new paint jobs (Coral and Black have already been done), as well as various other continuous improvements.

Note that there have not been any talks of expanding the monorail, nor do I forsee it happening in the future.

NowInc

The monorails are getting kinda old so they need to do something to fix em up...at least thast what I assume...

Maybe if they get new ones they will add those cool mickey mouse windows like they have in tokyo ;)

Invero

Original Poster
Originally posted by Hyperion93
What would be the reason to purchase new monorails? Faster trains?

The Mark VI trains we have are capable of attaining faster speeds, however, we have no real need to go any faster, and so for safety reasons, we limit to 40mph max.

As for why we'd replace them... To put it bluntly... our trains are pieces of junk. They're constantly breaking down... Instead of replacing them, though... they're going to try and replace the componants that fail most frequently, in hopes to solve our problems more economically. Keep in mind also, these trains were designed and built in '87-'90... 99% of the componants they used were proprietary, and pretty much all the companies that manufactured them all went out of business. Replacing parts is no longer an option... we either have to fix them, or, replace the entire system.

Invero

Original Poster
Originally posted by NowInc
The monorails are getting kinda old so they need to do something to fix em up...at least thast what I assume...

They're only 12-13 years old, which really isnt that old... the original Mark IV trains served WDW for 20 years. The Seattle Monorail system uses their original 40 year old trains with no problems. Various systems in Tokyo, Japan use trains that are 20-40 years old.

From what I am to understand, they want to get at least another 10+ years out of these trains.

Monorail Lime

Interesting. I know a few people at Bombardier who are either poorly informed or liars since they were swearing up and down that the contract to build six new trains for WDW was going to be a "sure thing". I bet they'll be sad to hear this. I'm not dissapointed though considering Bombardier built the VIs over budget, behind schedule, and below specifications. I don't understand why Las Vegas gave them a contract considering their track record, but that's their problem.

Fantasia, do you have any details on the "improved communication and monitoring systems" yet? I'm curious if the changes will be transparent or more drastic such as replacing the entire console.

Invero

Original Poster
Re: Where?

Originally posted by 9-Eye
Where did the title/name "Mark" in Mark IV come from? Why not name them Walt IV, or Kevin IV?

9-Eye

Mark in this instance means "iteration", as in a sequence, or series. For example, our trains are:

Mark I - First daily operating Monorail in the US... 3 cars long
Mark II - Modified Mark I... added a 4th car
Mark III - Modified Mark II... added a 5th car.
Mark IV - Original trains at WDW (5 and 6 car)
Mark V - Current trains at DL (5 car)
Mark VI - Current trains at WDW (6 car)

Invero

Original Poster
Originally posted by Monorail Lime
Interesting. I know a few people at Bombardier who are either poorly informed or liars since they were swearing up and down that the contract to build six new trains for WDW was going to be a "sure thing". I bet they'll be sad to hear this. I'm not dissapointed though considering Bombardier built the VIs over budget, behind schedule, and below specifications. I don't understand why Las Vegas gave them a contract considering their track record, but that's their problem.

Fantasia, do you have any details on the "improved communication and monitoring systems" yet? I'm curious if the changes will be transparent or more drastic such as replacing the entire console.

I have a feeling they might have been mis-informed... it might have been that they received a bid offer... but that Disney in the end decided otherwise. You know how Disney can be. As for why Las Vegas gave them the contract... I have a hunch that thier trains will be decent quality trains. From what I am to understand part of the reason the Disney trains weren't up to par was because of how Disney wanted things, and how Disney specified certain things. (Although some of the design flaws were completely TGI's fault)

Also, Vegas is sinking considerably more money into this project than Disney was ever willing to invest.

As for the details of the upgrades... they are going to be quite considerable. Entirely new console. Many many new features. I really can't give too many details... but they're going to be replacing the entire VOBC, CMPAS, LMCU and a bunch of other things with more "off the shelf" parts versus proprietary stuff that's currently in the trains now. Yellow will be the first train to receive the upgrades. Hopefully, it should be in place sometime in 2003.

tenchu

Re: Where?

Originally posted by 9-Eye
Where did the title/name "Mark" in Mark IV come from? Why not name them Walt IV, or Kevin IV?

9-Eye

Mark is used in lots of things, like cars etc.

I can't make my mind up whether you were serious with that post or not. If it was a joke, sorry for being serious!

Sansaarai

Account Suspended
If they are going to rehab the cars can you put in a sugestion for me? Can you tell them to do something about the smell INSIDE the cars? Its rank inside.

9-Eye

Where?

Originally posted by tenchu

Mark is used in lots of things, like cars etc.

I can't make my mind up whether you were serious with that post or not. If it was a joke, sorry for being serious!

It was a serious question. Aside from the obvious car example, I figured Disney may have had a cool "inside" reason for using the title "Mark." For all I know that could have been the guy who invented the Mono-rail.

Thanks!

9-Eye

Invero

Original Poster
Originally posted by Sansaarai
If they are going to rehab the cars can you put in a sugestion for me? Can you tell them to do something about the smell INSIDE the cars? Its rank inside.

LOL... I rode the monorail today... and I remember thinking... "You know... this is the Monorail smell."

I know... those trains can get a bit stinky at times. We have been told by management that the cause for the smell is the glue used to hold the carpet that they just replaced. *shrug*

I know they are re-doing the interior of some of the cars... they're adding more wheelchair accessable cars, to accomodate more wheelchairs (which never really is a problem, so I have a feeling it's really to accomodate double strollers)

Pioneer Hall

I hope that Disney isn't using the easy way out. Because all we need to do is for them to waste 5 million on a rehab project that would not work. Then they will need to spend the extra 17+ million for new functional things.

I think that the new trains are really what is needed. I would think that they learned with JIYI...that if you do something Wrong the first time, you are going to have to redo it.

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by DogsRule!
yes, but there is a big difference between $5,000,000 and the $100,000,000+ it would take to replace all the monorails.

But if they invest the 100,000,000 now, will it prevent them having to change the trains for lets say another 20 years? If they just update the trains now, then how long will it really be until it needs updating...5-6 years? Then the price could have gone up a lot more for the trains, and then they will be forced to get them. i think that it would just be a good move for them to get the new trains instead of updating.

Bairstow

Originally posted by DogsRule!
yes, but there is a big difference between $5,000,000 and the $100,000,000+ it would take to replace all the monorails.

ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS! :drevil:

Invero

Original Poster
Originally posted by DisneyInsider

But if they invest the 100,000,000 now, will it prevent them having to change the trains for lets say another 20 years? If they just update the trains now, then how long will it really be until it needs updating...5-6 years? Then the price could have gone up a lot more for the trains, and then they will be forced to get them. i think that it would just be a good move for them to get the new trains instead of updating.

Actually... it'd probably be about $250million. That's quite a chunk of change. I think Disney would rather spend the $5million now in hopes that it solves our problems. Physically speaking, the chassis of the trains is in good shape... it's just the inner-workings of the trains that need to be replaced, which is what they're trying to do.

Buzzforprez

Tyler, just had to thank you for the pics you posted a while back. Got the one of the monorails parked together on my screen. Always a happy sight to see. Thanks again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom