New Monorails?

Invero

Original Poster
Originally posted by Justin149
the monorails at Tokyo Sea, are great maybe a change to something similar would be nice.

-justin

They are nice trains, manufactured by Hitachi. They're also full-size monorails... they're HUGE...

How many cars do the new Tokyo monorails have, if you don't mind me asking? From what I've seen in pictures, I love the overall new re-design, except for the semi-tacky interior.

Hurricane

As an economics student I can tell you that $250Million spent immedialtly is a great deal larger than 5million spent every year because the opportunity cost of that money is extremely large (spending 250Million in one blow means that MANY MANY things get cut immediatly) And I'm sure that they could finance the trains and that the discount rate (due to inflation) would be signifigant but the 5Million option would be a much more financially and economically sound option. Back to studying, finals for another week then WL for a few days I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!

Invero

Original Poster
Originally posted by Hurricane
As an economics student I can tell you that $250Million spent immedialtly is a great deal larger than 5million spent every year because the opportunity cost of that money is extremely large (spending 250Million in one blow means that MANY MANY things get cut immediatly) And I'm sure that they could finance the trains and that the discount rate (due to inflation) would be signifigant but the 5Million option would be a much more financially and economically sound option. Back to studying, finals for another week then WL for a few days I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!

Actually, the 5mil is a one time deal...

As for the 250mil... chances are things would go over budget as usual... so who knows...

JEDI1138

Fantasia Boi

Congratulations that is one KEWL!!!!! avatar. I have not seen that pin before anywhere. What is the size of the pin, (ie diameter).

TIGGERNUT

Here is a pic of the Tokyo monorail. I like the Orlando ones better!

Attachments

• mony04011.jpg
    mony04011.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 212

BradleyJ

Personally I think the Tokyo Monrails are rather ugly.

Other than the Mickey Windows and the color strip, they might as well be a rail system anywhere. They look like a big rolling box, not the sleek compact design the WDW and DL monrails share.

The interiors look nice, but overall I don't like them.

WDWsmith2001

sea

I agree the TokyoSea monorails are rather bulky looking, they look like subway trains. Sounds like disney has the right idea here, spending 5 mil. or whatever on trains that are only 15 years old makes sence. They should get another 10 years out of them easy if the refurb' is done correctly.

Invero

Original Poster
Originally posted by JEDI1138
Fantasia Boi

Congratulations that is one KEWL!!!!! avatar. I have not seen that pin before anywhere. What is the size of the pin, (ie diameter).

Sorry it took me so long to reply... my computer is being mean to me today... lol

At any rate... thanks :) It's a very rare pin... Disney won't give it to you unless you've both earned it, and begged, pleaded, and waited 6 extra months for it.

The most rare ones are the 5 and 10 year Safe Piloting pins... although I think mine might be pretty rare as well... considering it's supposed to be silver... :)

DisneyWorldGuru

The main reason that WDW cant use the same monorails that TDL has is that the rails at TDL are very different. The trains are computer driven (putting people like Tyler out of a job) which means WDW would have to replace all of the rails. Also they are to big to fit through the CC entrance. I don't like the ones at TDL because they are more like subways then like monorails.

Also, the contract was given to Bombarder because they quoted Las Vegas lowest (LOL. Yeah right. I bet they will be way over budget). A friend of mine told me they looked into many other companies.

Tyler, props on the pin. Very Cool. :cool:

Invero

Original Poster
Originally posted by DisneyWorldGuru
I don't like the ones at TDL because they are more like subways then like monorails.

Actually... the only real difference between Light Rail (ie: subway, trolley, etc) and Monorails, is what they ride on... a cement mono-beam in the air... or two steel beams in the ground... WDW's Monorails are actually very different than most monorails, which are in fact, like the Hitachi trains at TDL.

Also, the contract was given to Bombarder because they quoted Las Vegas lowest (LOL. Yeah right. I bet they will be way over budget). A friend of mine told me they looked into many other companies.

Whether or not they run over budget... *shrug* it's hard to really say... But it's standard proceedure to look into other companies. As to why they chose Bombardier, it could be that Bombardier already had a train that would work on thier current system, whereas any other company would have to either design something from scratch, or modify an existing train to work. This would also help them become the lowest bidder. Bombardier already has knowledge and history of bringing these trains online, so they've already taken care of any issues. And with the exception of the Disney trains (which is another story altogether) Bombardier is a highly respected company in the transit world, building quality products.

DisneyWorldGuru

I can't wait for the Vegas line. It is very long from whats friends have said.

What I ment by diff. track was that TDL is computer controlled and uses a special system to send track information to the trains on-board computer which in turn relays the info to a control tower. WDW would have to reconfigure their entire system.

I agree Bombardier builds good transportation systems. Here in NJ we have the PATCO high speed line which Bombardier built. Their problem is that they went way over budget on WDW's line and WDW's problem is that they did not consider the size and had to make a new door for the trains at the CC. I would like to see new monorails but not the kind that TDL has.

Invero

Original Poster
What I ment by diff. track was that TDL is computer controlled and uses a special system to send track information to the trains on-board computer which in turn relays the info to a control tower. WDW would have to reconfigure their entire system.

Actually... the beamway itself is completely different size and shape... and the trains themselves are far too tall, wide, and long. Also, the Power Grid is different.

DonickCo

I can't wait for the Vegas line. It is very long from whats friends have said.

any good websites with more information on the track, like where it goes and how long it is.

Thanks
-DonickCo

DisneyWorldGuru

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi

Actually... the beamway itself is completely different size and shape... and the trains themselves are far too tall, wide, and long. Also, the Power Grid is different.

That is why WDW will never have the same system as TDL. Disney won't spend the cash to rebuild the entire system. It would cost a great deal of money and time. Also a driver I know told me Disney plans to extend the monorail line by the 50th. Ann. of WDW. He said that they want to run the monorail to other parts of the "world". He said that Disney does not want to put out the money now because sales at Disney are down right now. He also told me that WDW does not even plan to buy new monorails anytime soon. He said there are plans to update the out-dated technology and replace it with a system where Disney could see where every train on the tracks are and see the speed and track the movements of each monorail. They would still have MAPO but now the monorails could tell how far the next train is ahead of them. He said it may be a while before they do all of these modifications. I said they should just get a whole new system with new trains but Disney feels that it is to much money I agreed when I heard that each monorail is about $20 million.

Invero

Original Poster
Also a driver I know told me Disney plans to extend the monorail line by the 50th. Ann. of WDW. He said that they want to run the monorail to other parts of the "world".

One thing I'd be careful of... some of our drivers like to... "Preserve the Magic" so to speak. (Meaning that they will embellish things, make the monorails more "wow" then they really might be...)

DisneyWorldGuru

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi

One thing I'd be careful of... some of our drivers like to... "Preserve the Magic" so to speak. (Meaning that they will embellish things, make the monorails more "wow" then they really might be...)

He is not the kind of guy who would lie but the man loves his job.
He said for sure Disney will not be getting any new monorails soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom