Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

Monorail_Orange

Are you referring to the monorail green? I noticed it has new carpet and a cleaned up interior, but is that really "needed attention"? Also what's up with the random color breaks on the exterior color ribbon? I don't remember seeing these on trains until recently.
Green was the most recent train refurbed. Silver was before that, and Orange before Silver. To some degree, yes it is needed attention, but as you pointed out on Green, the work appears to have been substandard. IIRC, all three of these trains received replacement A/C units throughout. Silver and Green also got interior touch-ups. I would call this primarily maintenance. The A/C is an example of a needed overhaul.

Do not misunderstand me. I am not suggesting the fleet does not require A LOT more work. It should have never been allowed to deteriorate into its current state.

I am suggesting that as opposed to replace, the current fleet is still servicable, if desired. With proper investment, still likely far less than the cost of a completely new train fleet, the Mark VI's we currently have could be brought back up to snuff. Maybe even "overhauled" like the DLR trains into Mark VIII's.

Last edited:

Victor Kelly

Are you referring to the monorail green? I noticed it has new carpet and a cleaned up interior, but is that really "needed attention"? Also what's up with the random color breaks on the exterior color ribbon? I don't remember seeing these on trains until recently.
Several monorails over the years have sported color breaks in the middle of each car.

Let's face some facts. The monorails are used as a transportation system where DLs are technically more of an attraction. The WDW monorails need replacing as they are probably nearing the end of their service life, or have already exceeded their service life. They need replacing. Had they been kept up they may have lasted another 10 years.

What would be nice is flat out automated trains. Have a clear nose that people could see out of. Better Ac. No carpet. And dare I say it, standing room only.

FerretAfros

104 million no where near enough to replace WDW's 12 trains. That's 24 end cars and 48 inbetween cars. 1.4 million per car.

Someone look up what one car costs. I've been told it's in the vicinity of six million dollars.
DC's Metro is currently in the midst of adding about 700 new railcars to replace/expand their existing fleet, and the cost is about $1M each. This includes a lot of features (like signaling systems for regular operations with active switches between lines, onboard automated station ahead signage, etc.) that wouldn't be necessary or as complex on a system like WDW's where each line operates independently of one another during passenger service.

As a rule of thumb, steel wheel vehicles (like DC's Metro) tend to be larger and more expensive than rubber tire vehicles (like WDW's monorail). The larger size means bigger requirements for drive systems, operating speed, ventilation, vehicle body support (and in turn, crashworthiness), etc. Metro's cars are 75' long and carry about 125 passengers each (seated and standing); WDW's cars are about 35' long and carry about 60 passengers. Both systems have similar operating schedules, so durability of parts wouldn't be a major factor, as is sometimes the case when comparing Disney attraction costs to its competitors who have shorter and/or seasonal hours

Obviously this isn't a direct comparison (there's no such thing as an off-the-shelf railcar, they're unique to every system), but it seems reasonable to think that $1.4M per car could certainly be in the right ballpark, particularly for a private company that isn't subject to the Buy America clause. If anything, it seems a little on the high side, though the relatively small size of the fleet and relative uniqueness of monorails may contribute to increased unit costs.

the.dreamfinder

DC's Metro is currently in the midst of adding about 700 new railcars to replace/expand their existing fleet, and the cost is about $1M each. This includes a lot of features (like signaling systems for regular operations with active switches between lines, onboard automated station ahead signage, etc.) that wouldn't be necessary or as complex on a system like WDW's where each line operates independently of one another during passenger service.

As a rule of thumb, steel wheel vehicles (like DC's Metro) tend to be larger and more expensive than rubber tire vehicles (like WDW's monorail). The larger size means bigger requirements for drive systems, operating speed, ventilation, vehicle body support (and in turn, crashworthiness), etc. Metro's cars are 75' long and carry about 125 passengers each (seated and standing); WDW's cars are about 35' long and carry about 60 passengers. Both systems have similar operating schedules, so durability of parts wouldn't be a major factor, as is sometimes the case when comparing Disney attraction costs to its competitors who have shorter and/or seasonal hours

Obviously this isn't a direct comparison (there's no such thing as an off-the-shelf railcar, they're unique to every system), but it seems reasonable to think that $1.4M per car could certainly be in the right ballpark, particularly for a private company that isn't subject to the Buy America clause. If anything, it seems a little on the high side, though the relatively small size of the fleet and relative uniqueness of monorails may contribute to increased unit costs.
And Disney likes to customize things/make lots of changes.

Kman101

Green was the most recent train refurbed. Sliver was before that, and Orange before Silver. To some degree, yes it is needed attention, but as you pointed out on Green, the work appears to have been substandard. IIRC, all three of these trains received replacement A/C units throughout. Silver and Green also got interior touch-ups. I would call this primarily maintenance. The A/C is an example of a needed overhaul.

Do not misunderstand me. I am not suggesting the fleet does not require A LOT more work. It should have never been allowed to deteriorate into its current state.

I am suggesting that as opposed to replace, the current fleet is still servicable, if desired. With proper investment, still likely far less than the cost of a completely new train fleet, the Mark VI's we currently have could be brought back up to snuff. Maybe even "overhauled" like the DLR trains into Mark VIII's.

I think we're past that point. These things have an expiration date. Maybe if they did this investment 10 years ago, sure.

I'm a bit surprised folks are advocating AGAINST new monorails. LOL!

Disone

I think we're past that point. These things have an expiration date. Maybe if they did this investment 10 years ago, sure.

I'm a bit surprised folks are advocating AGAINST new monorails. LOL!
Hes been very clear, he is not advocating against new monorails. They are mechanical and all he is saying is as such they can be refurbished.

Basically if feel he is advocating for if you are going to replace then at least refurbish.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Hmmm...
Could this possibly mean something's cooking for WDW? 🤔
IMG-20191116-WA0000.jpg

MaryJaneP

1. It seems as though the refurb post is saying that if TDO is not gonna replace, AT LEAST do a thorough and stem-to-stern refurb. The refurb may be less costly now and provide a few more years of service. Although the monorail trains are older than the hills, there seems to be little or no motivation by TDO to replace them, so refurb may be an alternative for which torches and pitchforks may be appropriate.

2. If not Universal, who has the next olympics. Brazil can be the template.

lazyboy97o

1. It seems as though the refurb post is saying that if TDO is not gonna replace, AT LEAST do a thorough and stem-to-stern refurb. The refurb may be less costly now and provide a few more years of service. Although the monorail trains are older than the hills, there seems to be little or no motivation by TDO to replace them, so refurb may be an alternative for which torches and pitchforks may be appropriate.
No, buying new trains is an unnecessary expense that does not address the actual problem. You’re buying brand new, big expensive parts like the chassis that don’t really need to be replaced. People keep talking about the Mark IVs being replaced after 20 years but are ignoring the Mark V and the considerable difference between the Mark IV and the Mark VI. The Mark IV was replaced because the Mark VI is a larger train, you couldn’t rebuild a Mark IV to have the capacity of a Mark VI (and Disney did try adding cars to the Mark IVs). Unless Disney and/or Bombardier have secretly developed a new bogie that has an even lower profile than the INNOVIA 300’s, the Mark VIII is not going to be the sort of big change to the Mark VI the way that was to the Mark IV.

Last edited:

Kman101

What if its for universal's new park?

lol, that was my thought. How hilarious it'd be if everyone expected WDW to get new monorails but it's the competition down the street that does? lol. But we're way past time for new monorails.

I'll believe it when I see it though, lol.

Kman101

2. If not Universal, who has the next olympics. Brazil can be the template.

Well, of course, it goes without saying if they aren't going to replace them that they should do a THOROUGH overhaul of them. Not just new carpet and seats (which is welcome, of course and not negating what they're currently doing, but it's cosmetic, which is, again, nice and welcome). But I feel like even that window has passed unless they completely rebuild the current fleet, that I could understand. But even then, wouldn't it just ultimately make more sense to buy new?

They could have done all of this work ten years ago and rebuilt the fleet but now they're, like a lot of things, at the point where refurbing just isn't going to be good enough. But I'm glad they're doing some cosmetic things to them. But they're tired. It's time. They've kinda left themselves with no other option.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom