Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

matt9112

The frame is too big, wont work on wdw lines or for in the stations.

I know it has been beaten to death over and over that the beams in wdw are unique and the trains are much smaller than modern normalish stock but in theory you could adapt a modern frame to the small beam right? So only the stations need to be touched.
Fwiw i am convinced reason they are running these into the ground is that in there professional inquiries there is no good/cost effective way to get new trains. That it will be painful and so they have been trying to kick it down the road.

lazyboy97o

I know it has been beaten to death over and over that the beams in wdw are unique and the trains are much smaller than modern normalish stock but in theory you could adapt a modern frame to the small beam right? So only the stations need to be touched.
Fwiw i am convinced reason they are running these into the ground is that in there professional inquiries there is no good/cost effective way to get new trains. That it will be painful and so they have been trying to kick it down the road.
The Walt Disney World system was the basis for Bombardier’s previous generation that is in use in Las Vegas. The issue of adapting a larger train is also one of weight and balance. The Hitachi design is much larger and wouldn’t even fit into the Contemporary.

trainplane3

The Walt Disney World system was the basis for Bombardier’s previous generation that is in use in Las Vegas. The issue of adapting a larger train is also one of weight and balance. The Hitachi design is much larger and wouldn’t even fit into the Contemporary.
If there's one thing I learned in school it's if something doesn't fit, keep ramming it until it does.
It fixed many instrument issues in band. And probably broke as many. But it works all the time, most of the time! 🙃

matt9112

Again niave question but cant those holes just be made larger.

lazyboy97o

The openings aren’t the problem. The top of the existing monorails are mere inches from the underside of the floor above. Disney would have to lose half a level of rooms to accommodate the increased height.

Voxel

President of Progress City
The openings aren’t the problem. The top of the existing monorails are mere inches from the underside of the floor above. Disney would have to lose half a level of rooms to accommodate the increased height.

@matt9112 the Core issue is quiet larger than just expanding the space, I thought I would make a quick break down of issues that would make it cheaper to buy new ones than to take the ones from Tokyo.

1) Track: The Disneyland track is 26inchs wide, 48 high. The Tokyo Disneyland is between 31-34 inches wide and 52-56 inches high (I could find the exact number because I could not figure out if it is classified as a Large or Standard size monorail.

2) Track: The turns on the Disney loop (Specifically Epcot) could be too tight for the tokyo monorail. This is not a definite, but because of wider track base, typically turns can not be as tight.

3) Weight: These monorails are wider and taller and can carry significantly more people. Almost double the amount of ppl than the current system this is a large amount of weight. It's an unknown if the support system can handle the increased loads

4) Power Delivery. The current system is roughly ~600 Volts, the new system would need to be close to 1500 volts.

5) Lenth: I'm not sure these trains would fit in all of the stations, they are 75feet longer which would require longer stations to have safer loading and unloading

Unknowns:
Could these monorails pass each other on the current track configuration without touching or would the width need to be increased? Without exact measurements I don't know. I can't figure out who truly built the disneyland monorail. Hitachi doesn't brag about it on their site.

brb1006

Well, I hope they change the announcements when they move the Japanese monorails to Florida.
You must never go to their website. It's been shown to cause severe depression in all WDW devotees. It's full of actual photos of a clean park with functioning attractions. Someone told Chapek about it, and he is trying to block it from all WDW offices and resorts. Problem solved.
I remember getting my mind blown when I first discovered the Tokyo Disney Resort website way back in 2006/2007. I remember the website gave a lot of attention to their electrical parade "Dreamlights" complete with its own webpage that showed all the parade floats. It also proudly showed off their seasonal events.

I actually remember sometime in 2007 or 2008, they actually had a Valentine's Day event for the month of February heavily focused on Minnie Mouse, Daisy, Clarice, Marie, and Miss Bianca complete with a special parade and castle show. I forgot the name of the event but I remember seeing an old Youtube video of the stage show and parade years ago.

Did I mention that Tokyo Disneyland and Sea's official website is better organized compared to WDW and DL's websites? Unlike WDW and DL, they would change their site layouts while WDW and DL's would usually remained unchanged for at least a decade. Their main page used to change once a month showing various Disney characters. For example, I remember one month showed Clarice and Marie (I think it was for February), while in October or December it showed Mickey and Minnie dressed in Halloween costumes. Not sure if they still do this, but that website was the first time I learned that they actually have a walk around version of Marie and Clarice who were previously exclusive to the resort.

montyz81

2) Disney management knows this and knows that they can half-*** it, people will not only pay but defend their practices so they don't have to be the evil ogre telling people to cough up more.
This is true in so far as they half it down to the level of Universal or Universal ups their game to be on par with Disney (which is what they are doing). At some point the wiggle room won’t be enough and Disney will need to raise their game to levels seen when Epcot first opened

Figment2005

While I am surprised the tractors can handle the extra 20 or so tons I'll take your word for it and apologize for the mistake, that still doesn't mitigate the other concerns. The 480 volt comment I made was based on the HMI display I saw onboard the monorail a few years ago, again if that is wrong I apologize, but they would still be using the traction power substations to provide that power.
The tractors are fully capable of towing a train from both ends simultaneously. Not that it would actually happen, but they are plenty powerful, especially the 3 new tractors they have now.

esskay

From the Experience Center at the Odyssey

Safe to ignore, its not new artwork. It's a couple of decades old at least.

--

Also on monorail height issues in the contemporary its really not an issue. There's a large void inside that ceiling above the monorail section. Sure it's got ventilation ducts, wiring, etc but they can be rerouted or shrunk down to accommodate if needed.

Not that it will happen. As has already been pointed out, they don't actually need brand new trains, they just need to get back to maintaining them correctly. Clearly thats the plan given the overhaul they gave Silver.

Just a shame that they can't sort out the god awful automation system that has been half arsed so we all end up with whiplash every time a train comes into the station where it can't decide if it should break yet or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom