New Mid-Day Ticket Option

MrPromey

It's most frequently used by companies to make comparisons less easy.. and/or to make consumers more reliant on pushy sales people whose sales pitches become harder and harder to analyze for best value. It's intentional obfuscation to be able to upsell or sell customers on deals that aren't necessarily the best deal. It's sleazy.

And other times its done by companies that just get caught up in trying to make permutations to fit all kinds of ideas or buyers.. and all they do it confuse customers and ultimately risk running them off when they get frustrated by either the effort needed, or because they aren't getting the packages they feel fit them best. Basically.. it's a failure of product marketing to keep themselves in check and usually results in poorer customer satisfaction. "I need a decoder ring to figure out how to buy this" is not the state you want to be in.

I'm not really suggesting they do it but rather point out that if it were really about 'customer need' or satisfaction.. they'd be focusing on solving THAT problem... not really 'late risers'. The idea of a half-day ticket is nothing new and used by the company for decades to try to lure locals in to world showcase, etc... but the point of those tickets and their price is to be big discount, limited application... much like the convention tickets.

Offering ~20% off to show up just a little later in the morning isn't really customer focused no matter how people try to spin it. It's Disney teasing different price points to see what people would do if offered a cheaper price. What are they willing to give up?

Just imagine "First they want my fingerprint. Then I have to wear this one bracelet.. Now I have to wear ANOTHER bracelet!". Yeah, that wouldn't go over and unless they required a ticket scan for every guest entering every attraction (along with the delays and confusion it casues as witnessed on the fast-pass side daily) that's the only way they could do it.

Oh, I know it all creates less satisfaction but is that really a metric Disney is concerning themselves that much with at the parks these days?

I know it sounds like I'm being cynical or as the kids around here like to say a "hater" or "doom-and-gloomer" when I say that but I honestly feel like most of their moves are based around consumer behavior now that they have better ways to track that and less on what guests actually want.

If they do something and it doesn't make people happy but enough people continue to come and spend money, does today's management really care?

In the review of the Smuggler's Run attraction on this very site, there is mention about how thanks to FP+ not being available yet, the line is constantly moving "just like the good old days".

What does that say about how things work now compared to how they used to? Has this improvement they've been able to market, especially with the extended window for property guests been an overall win for guests or for Disney's marketing?

As I've mentioned before, if FP+ works so well and spreads things so smoothly for everyone, why is there any marketable advantage to onsite guests getting an extra month's advance access?*

I'm not saying they planned it that way but it sure has worked out, hasn't it?

Speaking of Fastpasses, did anyone want a giant chunk of the most popular viewing space for Illuminations turned into a fastpass area or the fastpass area for viewing fireworks in the Magic Kingdom (we hardly knew ye) turned into an exclusive dessert party viewing area?

Nobody wants a parking fee at the resorts and nobody wants a resort fee even though Disney has implemented one and is testing the waters on the other.

Nobody wants express line monorails shut down midday as a cost saving measure or live entertainment reduced for the same reason but they've still done it while raising ticket prices and making today's "discount" days more expensive than yesterday's all-year price.

Just like all of that, nobody who pays full price really wants to see the parks get even busier right around the time of day they normally get busiest because they're convincing more people to come at that time with the lure of discount tickets - especially when the higher pricing was supposedly to reduce crowds to begin with.

... But this is all the kind of stuff they continue to do.

If it doesn't negatively impact their financials or create lines at guest relations that become problematic, I'm not convinced they actually care what guest do and don't want or prefer anymore as long as they make enough money. I really don't think guest satisfaction as most of us would traditionally consider it, is much of a concern anymore.**

Don't get me wrong - I like the parks and I'll continue to go until they price me out because I have a young child who likes them too but they used to be a lot better in most of the ways that demonstrate a care and respect for guests. Back then, I loved the parks.

*They are marketing scarcity. I seriously doubt they are in any hurry to remedy the limited availability of fastpasses for attractions like SDMT or FOP or the upcoming ones that'll be the same way because if they did, they'd be taking away a major perk for onsite guests in the process.

**I'm speaking only of higher management. I believe most front-line cast and their direct managers/supervisors still do care because they see it all first-hand.

Last edited:

CAV

This board never disappoints.

I saw this announcement and thought it was a great idea and would be a good way for my family to save some money without changing anything about the way we like to do the parks. I also immediately knew that if I came here and checked, this would be almost universally decried by the folks here. The most hardcore of Disney fans who hate literally everything Disney does.

Thanks, guys. Never change.
And everyone else knew the Disney sycophants would be sychphantic.

rkleinlein

Agreed.

If you plan it out accordingly, (buying a 4 day ticket) using September 3 through 6 as an example:

Epcot on Tuesday from 12PM to 11PM - 11 hours (Mid Day Ticket is $7.18 an hour, Regular Full day price is $8.92 an hour)
MK on Wednesday from 12PM to 12AM - 12 hours using EMH (Mid-Day Ticket is $6.58 an hour, Regular Full day price is $7.25 an hour)
HS on Thursday from 12PM to 10PM - 10 hours (Mid-Day Ticket is $7.90 an hour, Regular is $8.28 an hour)
AK on Friday from 12PM to to 9:30 PM - 9.5 hours in the park (Mid-Day Ticket is $8.32 an hour, Regular is $9.28 an hour)

Multiply that across a family of 4 and you can easily save a nice chunk of change. To argue that this couldn't save people money is flat out wrong. This deal isn't for everyone (including me because I like to rope drop and love the parks in the early AM) but it can certainly be of others.
For those who don't think buying Disney tickets has gotten absurdly complicated, I point you to this post.

starri42

Disney has completely abandoned the idea that your pricing should be simple to understand. They are just layering option after option now. This comes back to haunt companies when consumption of your product is not clear and digestable by your customers.
The same model hasn't hurt airlines.

matt9112

“We don't believe we have a pricing issue at our domestic parks.”

Hmm.

Yeah even in the most neutral terms this contradicts there earnings call statement. Making it cheaper to set foot in the parks is literally the opposite direction. Crowding is absurd as is. I dont even mind the option at face value but when I know it will exaggerate an already growing systemic problem i cant agree with it.

And look i think the parks are overpriced as is and they need to build out instead of trying to cram us in there like a can of spam but that ship has sailed.

matt9112

Too bad these are only for 4 days or less. We are late starters so it would make sense to us but we go for longer than 4 days.

I imagine they dont want long vacationing guests to skip half the day at there parks for 7 or 14 days. Thats time for you to go elsewhere or at a minimum spend less money on disney. This seems like a straw grab to convince people who may be on the fence of a visit or locals without APs. I HIGHLY doubt they want regular vacation oriented guests to alter there plans to this degree.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
I imagine they dont want long vacationing guests to skip half the day at there parks for 7 or 14 days. Thats time for you to go elsewhere or at a minimum spend less money on disney. This seems like a straw grab to convince people who may be on the fence of a visit or locals without APs. I HIGHLY doubt they want regular vacation oriented guests to alter there plans to this degree.

I was thinking the same thing.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The same model hasn't hurt airlines.

You jest?

You cite an example of an industry that had to have its advertising forcibly regulated because of the misleading and confusing price listings. The same industry that has fed an entire industry of FRONTING and shopping FOR customers of travel agents, shopping and comparison sites, and more... because the pricing model is so complicated.
The same industry that has customers stressing for months on 'when is the right time to buy...' etc.

You say it hasn't 'hurt' airlines... well airlines tend to be quite a limited competition market if you haven't noticed due to the enormous scales involved.

flynnibus

Premium Member

I think it's simply a way to offer a lower price point to those who aren't in FL explicitly for a WDW vacation. Disney is offering "creative" bundling to people that normally would just buy gate tickets for 1-2 days at Disney while in Orlando or as part of a larger non-Disney trip.

VaderTron

I just looked at the website and was quite surprised by the number of ticket types and ticket options. While it may not be confusing for experienced Disney goers and those who are "in the know" (like most people writing in these forums), my guess is that a lot of people are going to find the number of choices confusing and overwhelming. I sure did. What's the right ticket portfolio for me? I just want to walk into the parks with my family.

Buying tickets to Disney theme parks now reminds me of choosing a health insurance plan or a Disney dining plan, or a iPhone: you wonder what's the best for you and if you're spending more money than you need to.

Even selecting dates on the calendar with different prices for each day is--I don't know--it's just not fun. Definitely not "magical." And it's confusing: I chose 5 days with the first day at $103 per day. All the subsequent days in the 8 day window have different prices--all higher than $103--but I am told that $103/day x 5 days is a total of $510.01. But it's not: 5 x $103 is $515. How did they come up with that number? View attachment 398504
Soon they will be offering Disney Ticketing Advisors. They can help you save money by selecting the best ticketing option that fits your family's needs. You can get this assistance for a small surcharge ($9.99 per guest) added to your family's final ticket price. Simply look for the new Disney Ticketing Advisors booth to the side of the TTC ticketing booths after navigating through the bag check lines for 5 minutes. Join the 20 minute line at Disney's Ticketing Advisors booth to receiving help determining what is best for your family. Then you will be directed to the standard ticketing line for purchase. After waiting 15 minutes there to receive your tickets you can stand in line for the monorail for 10 minutes and ride safely (hopefully) to the main gate turnstiles. Once you reach them you can stand in a 2 minute line to get in. After scanning your band/card and seeing a blue light flash your cast member with say that something isn't right with your ticket and direct you to Guest Relations. After waiting in that line 30 minutes you will be told that you opted for the Mid-Day Magic Ticket. Since It's 10:30am, you will have to wait till noon to get in. However, they will happily suggest a $50 per person restaurant in Disney Springs that you can eat at.

I give this scenario till...hmmm...today?...to actually happen.

Of course, you can skip all that waiting and purchase your tickets online in advance. Click the chat button for assistance, now charging $1 a minute.

Last edited:

Tom P.

And everyone else knew the Disney sycophants would be sychphantic.
I find what you refer to as the "sycophants" to be more balanced, on the whole, than those who are consistently negative toward Disney. For example, I can point you toward any number of threads and posts of mine where I have disliked or criticized decisions Disney has made. I find that there is a certain group of posters, though -- and certainly not everyone who criticizes something -- who have such a knee-jerk dislike for anything and everything Disney does that I cannot understand how they even claim to be Disney fans or why they are here. If you really believe that the last time Disney was any good was pre-Iger or even pre-Eisner, why haven't you given up and moved on to happier things in life by now?
For those who don't think buying Disney tickets has gotten absurdly complicated, I point you to this post.
That post was a deliberately detailed breakdown of the per-hour costs involved with visiting multiple Disney parks over several days using this new ticket to demonstrate how it is a savings over a traditional ticket.

I don't find this new ticket confusing at all. If you will not visit before noon, they'll cut the price for you. If you want to park hop or go to the water parks, there's an extra charge. That's it. What's complicated about that?

SteveAZee

OK, so this brings up an idea that I think was mentioned jokingly, but...

What if you were charged by the hour for the time spent in a park? It would certainly motivate some large swath of people to get out of the park quicker than they would otherwise, thus reducing crowding. It would also give guests some sense of control over their spending. Perhaps charge initially for a full day but then get a rebate for hours not spent in the park.

Just spitballin' here. 😉

eliza61nyc

I admit, I haven't understood why it's "complicated". I'm going to wdw August 27th 2020. I'm staying 8 nights and I like to park hop. so more than likely I will go to undercover tourist and 6 day park hopper pass.
I pick my dates based on when I can get away from work and it's not as crowded NOT by what the ticket price will be. how is it absurdly complicated.

I mean folks know how they like to travel don't they? if your family is one that doesn't like getting up at the crack of dawn for a vacation and prefers getting to the parks late, I would think this is a viable alternative.

starri42

You jest?
No, I'm not. I'm NOT saying that I like the way airlines handle things, and I'm NOT saying that it makes for a pleasant experience, but it hasn't stopped people from flying. I'd rather have my wisdom teeth extracted without anesthesia than fly on Spirit Airlines, but they continue to gain market share, so people tolerate it.

rkleinlein

I find what you refer to as the "sycophants" to be more balanced, on the whole, than those who are consistently negative toward Disney. For example, I can point you toward any number of threads and posts of mine where I have disliked or criticized decisions Disney has made. I find that there is a certain group of posters, though -- and certainly not everyone who criticizes something -- who have such a knee-jerk dislike for anything and everything Disney does that I cannot understand how they even claim to be Disney fans or why they are here. If you really believe that the last time Disney was any good was pre-Iger or even pre-Eisner, why haven't you given up and moved on to happier things in life by now?

That post was a deliberately detailed breakdown of the per-hour costs involved with visiting multiple Disney parks over several days using this new ticket to demonstrate how it is a savings over a traditional ticket.

I don't find this new ticket confusing at all. If you will not visit before noon, they'll cut the price for you. If you want to park hop or go to the water parks, there's an extra charge. That's it. What's complicated about that?
It’s not complicated the same way buying an airline ticket isn’t complicated.

eliza61nyc

It’s not complicated the same way buying an airline ticket isn’t complicated.
Not sure if you're joking or not but buying an airline ticket is ridiculously easy now. Especially compared to pre internet days.
Heck, you can now set a price alert on your phone and it will notify you when tickets to your destination go on sale.
Again, what's the complication??
You know where you want to fly and when right?

flynnibus

Premium Member
No, I'm not. I'm NOT saying that I like the way airlines handle things, and I'm NOT saying that it makes for a pleasant experience, but it hasn't stopped people from flying. I'd rather have my wisdom teeth extracted without anesthesia than fly on Spirit Airlines, but they continue to gain market share, so people tolerate it.

"People tolerate it" shouldn't be your mission statement for your company :)

People tolerate the airlines because they feel helpless to reasonable alternatives - not because they just roll with it. It very much has hurt airlines... That's why they continue to make appearances on 'most hated' lists.. and why they are in a price driven market instead of having the luxury of people being willing to pay for brand loyalty and higher expectations. You don't get to charge BMW or Rolex "premium" pricing because people just "tolerate" your business practices.

Remember in this conversation... Disney was always a premium brand that people willingly paid premium prices for.. because they did more than just "tolerate" Disney. When you attack that luxury... your relationship erodes with your customers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom