New Mid-Day Ticket Option

MrPromey

Disney's "ticketing strategy" now has more choices, prices, options, and add-ons than ever which makes choosing tickets more complicated and time consuming than ever before--if you actually want to get the best deal possible. There's nothing "off the rails" about this observation and I don't see how anybody can argue with it. (Some may like the choices, but that's not what's being questioned.)

Comparisons were made to buying plane tickets because buying plane tickets--if you actually want to get the best deal possible--is complicated and time consuming, and therefore not easy (or pleasant). There's nothing "off the rails" about this observation and I don't see how anybody can argue with it.

Those who say buying plane tickets or Disney tickets is easy because it only takes a few clicks are being disingenuous. They know this conversation is about the process of looking at a myriad of possibilities, comparing apples to oranges, and choosing what they think is the best deal for their family (complicated and time consuming), and not just the final "add to cart" and "purchase tickets" transaction (quick and easy).

I think this is a difficult discussion to have because everybody comes from a different personal place when looking at this.

If you've been going to WDW for years, there is nothing complicated about buying tickets. You know what you like to do and how you'll do it and for people like that (many of which are on this forum) they knew instantly upon their first read on this if it was something that might interest them or not.

Likewise, someone who travels frequently might find airline tickets an easy thing to navigate.

I think of it like New York City transportation. It isn't really that complicated but if you've never dealt with that sort of public transportation before, looking at a map and figuring out the subway and cabs and buses can be a little bit scarry. If you live or work there and you do it every day, it's simple.

Same thing - different perspective.

I think if we can all keep that in mind just a little bit (all of us), it might be easier to have these kinds of discussions.

It's easy to think that because someone disagrees with what to us seems like an obvious point, that they're being difficult or making a choice to deliberately argue which makes it really easy to argue back.

I know I'm guilty of that but I think it's important to realize that they may be seeing the things I'm saying and thinking the same thing about me.

... Oh, and don't do drugs!

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

eddie104

I think this a good move by Disney to not only make it affordable for some families to come to the parks but also helps them their attendance projections.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Again, it hasn't stopped people from getting on airplanes or cruise ships.

2 Models in play here. Acquisition and Retention. Sure, you can acquire and bury pricing. You'll find that it will impact the overall experience -possibly in hindsight. Then good luck with retention in that case.

Your example focuses on a commodity. Let's use it as an example with an airline or cruise line. You're going from point A to point B (or on an itinerary visiting specific ports of call). I can choose to fly a different airline or go on a different cruise supplier and get a like experience.

I've probably been on more cruises than most anybody on this board (considering I've worked for a major mass-market cruise line for over 20 years). Price transparency is very important when it comes to customer satisfaction. Nickel and diming also has consideration. But there is a fine line. And not to the point it impacts client retention.

Lensman

Disney's "ticketing strategy" now has more choices, prices, options, and add-ons than ever which makes choosing tickets more complicated and time consuming than ever before--if you actually want to get the best deal possible. There's nothing "off the rails" about this observation and I don't see how anybody can argue with it. (Some may like the choices, but that's not what's being questioned.)

Comparisons were made to buying plane tickets because buying plane tickets--if you actually want to get the best deal possible--is complicated and time consuming, and therefore not easy (or pleasant). There's nothing "off the rails" about this observation and I don't see how anybody can argue with it.

Those who say buying plane tickets or Disney tickets is easy because it only takes a few clicks are being disingenuous. They know this conversation is about the process of looking at a myriad of possibilities, comparing apples to oranges, and choosing what they think is the best deal for their family (complicated and time consuming), and not just the final "add to cart" and "purchase tickets" transaction (quick and easy).
I think this is fairly good reflection of what I wanted to say, except for the accusation about people being disingenuous.

For the most part, as long as you are willing to pay a "good enough" price, buying plane tickets or Disney tickets can be a straightforward process unless except you can get burned by the inelasticity of supply with plane tickets. We generally buy our plane tickets as far out as possible when our plans need to get locked in - long vacations, etc. We're not ones to wait until a month out in case there are fare sales. Thus, for us, and for @eliza61nyc, buying plane tickets for vacation is a relatively straightforward process. I'm sure I'm giving away the 10% opportunity to save up to 40%, plus the 20% opportunity to save up to 20% by not waiting for a fare sale, but we prefer the certainty, especially in cases where we have to lock in our DVC reservations 7 or 11 months out. I hope you're not calling me disingenuous, but feel free because I have developed a thick skin from the politics forum and won't be hurt. :)

Similarly, if you're a family of late-risers (like us and apparently @eliza61nyc's family), you're going to view this option as a potential plus and ignore the fact that an additional choice does make it more complicated than if it were simpler and had to pay the full day price. I'm kinda hoping for a full range of mid-day options - mid-day Gold annual pass for DVC, please.

It's a flawed example but I'll state it anyway. Airline ticket pricing was much simpler when there was a single price between any two cities in the U.S. year-round, but this price was very high - especially in comparison to current APEX fares to vacation destinations like MCO. OTOH, I don't think that Disney prices are like airline fares and I don't think most of us will see great deals if Disney implements new more-complicated pricing schemes.

Andrew M

I apologize if this has been answered somewhere in the 10 pages prior, but has anyone been able to add these tickets to an existing reservation?

My wife & kids never wake up early and always want to stay in the parks late, so this is perfect for us, as long as we time it with late nights at each park.

Horizons '83

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I apologize if this has been answered somewhere in the 10 pages prior, but has anyone been able to add these tickets to an existing reservation?

My wife & kids never wake up early and always want to stay in the parks late, so this is perfect for us, as long as we time it with late nights at each park.
If your trip is this year through December 15, you can call to have it changed. I don't think there is an option online to change existing reservations to that ticket level.

John C. Shepherd

Noon is strange but it will be great for the sleep in kind of people. I dont know if i like it, i like to go early, then leave at lunch to break for a couple hours and then go back till close.

Kingoglow

It might be
Ok 3 clicks on the keyboard... next. Once a person decides on their price point pretty much everything else is decided for them. AND most folks have limited choices based on the airport they are flying out of and the reward program of their credit card. Sorry I'm not believing that buying a plane ticket is suddenly string theory. Price tends to be the overriding decision parameter.

It might be an age/experience thing though. Ask a 16 year old to do it without your guidance. See if you get any questions or if they feel like they really know what all of that means.

Hell, I spoke to a 24 year old at work last week that had no idea that he had to check in to a flight. The conversation with him start when he asked me, 'who had my ticket?'.

worldfanatic

This board never disappoints.

I saw this announcement and thought it was a great idea and would be a good way for my family to save some money without changing anything about the way we like to do the parks. I also immediately knew that if I came here and checked, this would be almost universally decried by the folks here. The most hardcore of Disney fans who hate literally everything Disney does.

Thanks, guys. Never change.
So true.
And how sad is it that they have nothing better to do than come here to be negative.
Pretty pathetic.
But the positive people here make up for all the negative schmucks.

worldfanatic

We are rarely in the parks before noon. This is a fascinating option that we may very well take advantage of.
Bingo.
I'm in my resort's pool, jacuzzi, or hotel balcony until 11AM almost every day.
At most, I may be giving up a half an hour of park time a couple days on my trip, well worth it for some savings.
Won't work for me right now because I need longer than a 4-day ticket. But this is undoubtedly a positive for many, many non- commando visitors..

The real rescueranger

For those saying this is making tickets more confusing, uhhhmm... no. They already have a ton of ticketing options. The idea that one more is somehow going to tip the balance is just ludicrous. I think this new ticket will be great for some people. I for one love it. As an early riser who goes to rope drops, this might mean even smaller crowds. We are usually leaving the park around noon.

LSLS

For those saying this is making tickets more confusing, uhhhmm... no. They already have a ton of ticketing options. The idea that one more is somehow going to tip the balance is just ludicrous. I think this new ticket will be great for some people. I for one love it. As an early riser who goes to rope drops, this might mean even smaller crowds. We are usually leaving the park around noon.

If the tons of ticket options they already have is confusing, how is adding another option less confusing?

seascape

Dumb move by B Iger. These guests will now eat breakfast and lunch off site and hold off on dinner which is lost revenue streams.
This ticket option is perfect for DVC members without an annual pass. We dont go to the parks in the morning. We sleep and then go to the pool. We like the nighttime shows and don't need to do all yhe rides every time we go. That said, we ate keeping our annual passes.

Horizons '83

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Dumb move by B Iger. These guests will now eat breakfast and lunch off site and hold off on dinner which is lost revenue streams.
I really don't think that is the case. People will eat on property, just not in the parks for breakfast. Noon is lunch time, at that point you will be in the parks. Not sure how this is a "dumb" move. and while we are at it, why do some think Iger touches every change and every new ticket option offered?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom