New Maleficent Parks Costume

tl77

The problem is the CONTENT keeps changing. When they digitize and remaster these films they mess with the coloring, white balance, etc. Digital sets can be more CONSISTENT than their analog counter parts (NTSC = Never the same color..) but here the discussion flies about the digitization and 'restoration' choices.
They over saturate the colors of the older films to match the brighter jewel tones they've been using since The Little Mermaid, but if you play around with the setting on you HDTV you can adjust it to something you remember from VHS

SkipperButler

Red!!!!!! Maleficent doesn't have red in her costume.

Originally she was supposed to.
Marc+Davis+IofL+Maleficent.jpg

Fable McCloud

I like the original costume, just drop the fake chin and lighten the skin a bit. Otherwise, why replace it? The new movie looks terrible, and I'd rather not associate the Maleficent I like with Angelina Jolie's. She looks like Angie in a headpiece with bad contacts.

Fable McCloud

Yeah, it's accurate to the live-action film, but the live-action film's costume loses so much of the original character's presence. Not to mention how at best, this Maleficent is gonna act more like a sarcastic Disney Princess what with the live-action film's emphasis on Maleficent as this tragic special snowflake that was bullied by the other fairies and had her wings taken from her, and has her shapeshifting raven lover turn into a dragon instead of doing things herself instead of, pardon the ancient meme, doing all that evil spiteful stuff for the lulz.

I love what you just said. This is exactly why I'm not a huge fan of them making this movie. Maleficent doesn't need a backstory about why she became bad. I think it's much more efficient to just leave as she has been for decades: EVIL. Who cares why?

What's next, a movie about why Jafar is power hungry? Oy.

Thanks Tahu, you made my afternoon by being the only one who agrees with me.

Cesar R M

:eek:

No, no, no, no, no....... my first Disney film. :arghh:

hey.. at least its not

I like the original costume, just drop the fake chin and lighten the skin a bit. Otherwise, why replace it? The new movie looks terrible, and I'd rather not associate the Maleficent I like with Angelina Jolie's. She looks like Angie in a headpiece with bad contacts.

fully disagree, Id say the movie looks amazing so far.
besides ANY actor would look like "having a headpiece with contacts".

Violiav

It looks better than the Snow White flick from last year. I can't make it through that at all. If anything it'll be a fun movie.

nowsheflies

Not too sure how I feel about this. Maleficent is my favorite Disney villain and character (well, second only to Ariel) and I was crazy excited about the new movie but . . . I don't want her "redeemed." I love evil Maleficent and I want her being bad because she's just bad! But as to the main topic, I think the new look is fine for the movie but I think the "classic" look should stay in the parks, although I think the fake chin needs to go and the green needs to be paler.

But has it been officially confirmed that some version will be doing a M&G in the parks around the time the movie is released? I'm willing to meet either version and I'll be in the parks at the end of July and was hoping there'd be some slight chance of seeing her.

AgeEight-E

The problem is the CONTENT keeps changing. When they digitize and remaster these films they mess with the coloring, white balance, etc. Digital sets can be more CONSISTENT than their analog counter parts (NTSC = Never the same color..) but here the discussion flies about the digitization and 'restoration' choices.

The Diamond Series Blu-rays have been made using original negatives for the most part, and a lot more care was taken with this series to be true to the original look and colors of the films than what was done during the '90s, during which the company made brightening the image and colors the priority. The Blu-rays are probably the most true to the original versions in many years.

Ernierich

I'm really in the minority here but u say keep her as she is, a cartoony villain with an overly-green face and massive chin. There are enough realistic baddies in real life.

candydog

This is obviously just promotion for the new movie. If the movie is a hit, they may keep the character in her "Angelina Jolie" version at Disney Studios, but most likely for parades and shows she'll stay with the animated version's costume.

HOWEVER, I've always thought that the Maleficent costumes in the parks were pretty poor. WDW uses a black costume with weird pink pinstripes at times, the horns look cartoonish and the green skin and chin implant is waaaaaaay too much.

I think they should tone it down, use less pink, give the horns more shape and go for a more subtle face colour - light greyish green, not bright green!

There was a pretty good Maleficent costume in the "Disneyland Fun" Singalong Songs number "Grim Grinning Ghosts" (it'll be on youtube somewhere). Yes her face is still green, but the costume and headdress is actually very good.

I love what you just said. This is exactly why I'm not a huge fan of them making this movie. Maleficent doesn't need a backstory about why she became bad. I think it's much more efficient to just leave as she has been for decades: EVIL. Who cares why?

What's next, a movie about why Jafar is power hungry? Oy.

Thanks Tahu, you made my afternoon by being the only one who agrees with me.
Actually the tv show Once upon a time in Wonderland did just that! They focused for several shows about why Jafar turned evil.

Matt_Black

Actually the tv show Once upon a time in Wonderland did just that! They focused for several shows about why Jafar turned evil.

The motivation was a bit weak, though it did coincide with Alice's backstory. Still, Naveen Anders was just so delightfully malevolent.

If any Disney villain deserves a live-action movie, it's Gaston!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom