New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

ToTBellHop

Any aerial photos or progress on this yet?
Area51_Aerial_photograph.jpg

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.

tl77

@photoflight has posted a few aerials recently, but nothing covering that area. Depending on when these were taken he might have something.

Here is a link to one of the aerial photos for MK. You are right, not specifically for the new alternate path, but can be zoomed in to see that there is a walled area in the center of the parking lot.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/wdw-photo-of-the-day-thread-part-10.866147/page-88#post-5763776

That's quite a large area they've walled off in the backstage area, maybe this'll turn out to be something interesting, Thanks for the link

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Right. As long as this is themed and "onstage" (sounds like it will be) then the biggest negative is that it would not be funneling guests past the shops to make purchases on the way out. Which ironically, is completely opposite the "every decision Disney makes is to seperate you from your money" idea that is often bandied about here. I'm glad they are apparently putting guest comfort and crowd control above selling trinkets...

That said, I do wonder if this will provide backdoor access to the shops from the overflow path for people leaving to still be able to shop.

If themed on the order of DLP, I'm ok with it because the crowds are indeed massive, If it's 'Construction walls by Stanley' well TDO will deserve what it gets from the various Spirits on this board!

Rob562

I wonder if the bulk of it will be permanently standing, and a few hinged or mobile pieces would be deployed to connect the gates to the permanent section to close it off. That would allow them to keep it open to allow normal backstage access, but quickly close it off when needed for crowd-control purposes.

There's also the question of whether they'll only connect to the gate by Plaza Pavilion. There have been times where they did a short-cut directly to Tomorrowland by where the Galaxy Palace used to be. Maybe they'll set it up to be able to do either (or both).

-Rob

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I wonder if the bulk of it will be permanently standing, and a few hinged or mobile pieces would be deployed to connect the gates to the permanent section to close it off. That would allow them to keep it open to allow normal backstage access, but quickly close it off when needed for crowd-control purposes.

There's also the question of whether they'll only connect to the gate by Plaza Pavilion. There have been times where they did a short-cut directly to Tomorrowland by where the Galaxy Palace used to be. Maybe they'll set it up to be able to do either (or both).

-Rob
Isn't backstage access just a duplicate of the utilidors access. Couldn't they survive completely without the backstage access?

What really needs to be delivered backstage that could not be delivered via the utilidors?

tl77

This is pretty detailed, fan-made, blueprint of the utilidor system, but from the looks of it I don't see why they would need back stage access to the buildings on Main Street since so much of it is underground
4518237312_6a8726afe9_b.jpg

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
If themed on the order of DLP, I'm ok with it because the crowds are indeed massive, If it's 'Construction walls by Stanley' well TDO will deserve what it gets from the various Spirits on this board!
It will not be anything like DLP arcades.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

wogwog

Isn't backstage access just a duplicate of the utilidors access. Couldn't they survive completely without the backstage access?

What really needs to be delivered backstage that could not be delivered via the utilidors?
Think. Do your local retail units take all of the stock in the front door, do all the employees go in the front door. All the junk sold in the park and thousands of cast use about twenty-five different backstage entrances to the utilidor to try to maintain the magic. Several of those are in the area of the planned bypass. This area is included on one of the public backstage tours offered to guests. The guide on the tour does a good job of explaining the complex system. Don't get your hopes up about the bypass being something "cool" I really think it will be simple and industrial.

muteki

Think. Do your local retail units take all of the stock in the front door, do all the employees go in the front door. All the junk sold in the park and thousands of cast use about twenty-five different backstage entrances to the utilidor to try to maintain the magic. Several of those are in the area of the planned bypass. This area is included on one of the public backstage tours offered to guests. The guide on the tour does a good job of explaining the complex system. Don't get your hopes up about the bypass being something "cool" I really think it will be simple and industrial.
What would be the advantage of a simple and industrial, uncovered bypass over walking through the parking lot now?

wogwog

What would be the advantage of a simple and industrial, uncovered bypass over walking through the parking lot now?
Co$t. Cheaper to build. Fewer cast needed for crowd control and safety. $ Always follow the money with Disney. Hence, next gen junk to make money. No new attractions that only cost money.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
How do you know this? I would think that Disney Land Paris would be an eccellent blue print to follow.
Because I have some knowledge of what is being done.

The arcades at DLP are an attraction in their own right. They took years to build and cost as much as some attractions. This is not what the Magic Kingdom is doing. The aim at MK is to make better bypass for busy periods, but not to make it a full-blown additional part of Main Street USA.

Pumbaa1222

I just want to make the point that while I agree spreading the crowds to other parks would be useful for crowd control, this backstage route is not used only for egress at the end of the night. I have ENTERED Magic Kingdom during parades and fireworks and been shuffled backstage to bypass Main St. This is where the magic is completely ruined, upon entering the park, you are put back outside the park.

I appreciated the "short-cut" not having to fight my way down Main St amongst folks waiting for the parade, shopping, eating, what not. I think it can cool tensions between both sets of people. If it is going to be used ANY amount of theming is appreciated.

Pumbaa1222

There is also a HUGE balloon operation backstage here. If they had to blow up those massive balloon clouds underground and navigate their way up stairs that would be a nightmare.

muteki

Co$t. Cheaper to build. Fewer cast needed for crowd control and safety. $ Always follow the money with Disney. Hence, next gen junk to make money. No new attractions that only cost money.
But nothing would need to be spent to just walk people through the parking lot. There would still be crowd control CM's present in the bypass as well so I don't see the point, outside of some trash cans and loading docks not being visible.

The cheap option out to me is to do nothing. Walking people through the parking lot is "free".

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom