New Main Street U.S.A bypass to be built to address entry and exit congestion at the Magic Kingdom

Kman101

I could understand adding access if this were something that would be open all of the time (like the DLP arcades) but if it's going to be used the way it is now, just with some theming, then to add access just seems like unecessary work and would add to the congestion and nightmare of the crowds. I see the point behind it but I personally don't see it as necessary.

CaptainJackNO

yes, there's that.

Unnecessary.
I have two young kids, 4 and 9, and let me say, last Mardi Gras, the crowds were ungodly. One night, while leaving mk, I had to carry my 9 yeard old because of the crush of the crowds. It was flat out dangerous for adults, let alone kids. Another night we were funneled through the back exit being spoken of on this thread. It was way less congested and safer. However, it looked like what it is, a service area. And I don't want my kids' day at mk, for what it costs, to end by exiting an area that looks like a Wal-Mart restroom. So, kudos for a safer, themed exit. Some folks refuse to see that safety is always ahead of show. Plus, does Disneyland experience the crowds mk does? I say good job TDO.

Last edited:

CaptainJackNO

Well, it's not an attraction, but it's a win. How about that. Let's see if
they do it right, fully themed and all.

Makes me wonder about the lack of attractions, and instead we get MagicBands,
Curb refurbs, bathrooms, and now this. Do you think the
conversation goes something like:

"Until we address the overall guest experience, we'd better not add any new
attractions, because all that's going to do is increase attendance and make the
overall experience worse for the average guest."

I know I have had more than a few 'non-fan' friends take their families down to
Disney and when they come back they say things like "I know you love it down there,
but the lines, and the people, and we didnt get on this, and we couldn't do that, etc. . . "

So, I guess that's what this is all about, in an overarching sense. Once this infrastructure
is in place, then they can add stuff--because they'll be confident that they can handle
the additional traffic that it would generate.

So, that's my morning revelation about all of that. And why we're not getting new
attractions right now.

Make any sense?
I agree. It's all about guest experience. I have been going to wdw since I was 6, and I am 38,now. The crowds are insane all year, now. There is not a time that is true "off-season" any longer. It's crowded year round. Also, lets take into account that mk and Epcot take in the majority of guests for all of the reasons we have discussed on this board for the last few years ad nauseum. I can say, as many here will agree, it is difficult to get done the number of attractions in the parks, especially mk, as we were able to in the past. So, would I rather see the money spent on new attractions that was spent on the new bracelets? Sure. But, I think we can all agree that ak and hs need much work. So, the new additions of attractions at mk, in addition to the bracelets across the property may make existing experiences more accessible and manageable while new attractions are built and brought online at ak and hs to eventually even out the crowds as they were in the past. Right now, the biggest bang for your buck at wdw is at mk and Epcot. Until this changes, the crowds will remain horrendous. So, this bypass is needed to allow for a more manageable, safer exit every evening. It is absolutely dangerous at times, so it is needed. Plus, as I stated before, if I am dropping 5000 bucks on a week in wdw, I do not want my, or my Kids' magical day ending by being forced to exit via an unthemed service passage that is the equivalent of a back alley of a McDonald's.

Walt 1901

This is the path my parents described when they took the back stage exit. It stated next to the Plaza restaurant which has always had a kind of a awkward look anyway. I'm wondering if this new path will connect up mid way at the ally in the middle of Main St. because aren't those buildings on the dead end ally just empty facades?

msusa_walkway2.jpg
It looks like they could easily put up two more new shops and maybe another sit down dinning back there. It would be neat to have a place with roof top dining that also had a view of the fireworks.

RSoxNo1

What are you talking about that "no one should be allowed back there ever." If it is no longer a backstage area, but a themed area, then they should. What if I told you Disney planned to build a second path through fantasyland as shown as the redline in this picture? No one should be allowed back there, right? Unless, they turn that area from backstate to front stage. Now, lets just see what they do here.

View attachment 35247
What's funny is that I showed my then 5 year old nephew the concept art for New Fantasyland, and he was able to explain that the next time he visited there would be a ride there and a path there. It's nice to see that people on this site aren't capable of comprehending that.

JerseyDad

....if this walkway is used, they need to enclose it in a tube-like structure ...and have the "light-speed / time-warp" effects that you go thru in Space Mountain.

....that way, as you creep along with the huddled masses, it FEELS like you got out quicker.

The Visionary Soul

Those areas could not be easily moved. There is utilidoor access loading here because this is the perimeter of the park. It's much too early to say for sure, but I don't think there is any danger of people stopping to watch the fireworks here because this new corridor won't even be opened until after the fireworks are over and the exodus crush begins. During normal operations throughout the day it will still be in use by CMs for backstage purposes. That's my theory, at least.
There is no "Utilidoor access loading" or whatever you speak of on that side of the park. While it is true that there are entrances to the Utilidoors there, there is certainly no type of area where trucks would be needed to enter the tunnels or anything comparable. Anything else in that area could easily be moved. If they only plan to keep this area open after the fireworks, that would be quite stupid. A permanent covered walkway needs to be there so people can go around parades and stay under cover on rainy days.

MarkTwain

No one should be expecting any masterpiece of Imagineering from this. My understanding is that this is for a more permanent crowd control solution only, with theming being minimal in importance compared to having something readily available and at least somewhat presentable in a guest environment. Although maybe not quite as bad as Fantasmic, it sounds to me like it will be closer to Fantasmic than Disneyland Paris.

The Visionary Soul

No one should be expecting any masterpiece of Imagineering from this. My understanding is that this is for a more permanent crowd control solution only, with theming being minimal in importance compared to having something readily available and at least somewhat presentable in a guest environment. Although maybe not quite as bad as Fantasmic, it sounds to me like it will be closer to Fantasmic than Disneyland Paris.
Oh, I'm not expecting anything amazing. I'm actually expecting them to do the least that they can get away with.

wdw_nerd

I think this is a great idea. We were there in September and the crowd leaving down Main street was crazy. I would hope they wouldn't put access to the main street shops back there, then people would just use those to cut through back through to main street. Nothing should be back there other than a pretty, overly themed walkway to get people out quicker. Nothing to stop and look at it. I also don't see why it needs to be covered. Main street is not covered. If it will be like the sketch someone posted (the back walkway exits in town square on the right side near the chapeau) will this not create a cluster there?

side note: someone said that all parades are going away next year? really? I know there will be a new daytime parade to replace celebrate a dream come true (or whatever name it's going by now) so I know that will be gone but Main Street Electrical parade is going too?

The Visionary Soul

I think this is a great idea. We were there in September and the crowd leaving down Main street was crazy. I would hope they wouldn't put access to the main street shops back there, then people would just use those to cut through back through to main street.
This would be the point... in a perfect world you would want people to do this if they are using this as a primary exit every night. It's a lot of lost revenue for them to pass all the shops on Main Street. Not to mention if they stop keeping traffic moving on the street in front of the stores and make that all viewing area (which is sorely needed), this would be the only access into the shops.
Nothing should be back there other than a pretty, overly themed walkway to get people out quicker. Nothing to stop and look at it. I also don't see why it needs to be covered. Main street is not covered. If it will be like the sketch someone posted (the back walkway exits in town square on the right side near the chapeau) will this not create a cluster there?
A covered area is much more important than you think.
You want it covered so that it may be used for other things besides a blow-out route like it is currently. You need it covered and air conditioned to beat the Florida heat, the rain, and to be sure no one is watching the fireworks on the way out. (Which does happen all the time with the current blow-out route when it is open during the fireworks)
side note: someone said that all parades are going away next year? really? I know there will be a new daytime parade to replace celebrate a dream come true (or whatever name it's going by now) so I know that will be gone but Main Street Electrical parade is going too?
Yes, the new daytime parade isn't a just daytime parade. It has some amazing elements that will best viewed at night. Although ALL the parades going away is speculation on my part, I've considered all the facts leading up to the new parade, and they actually NEED to get rid of the other parades to allow for the new parade. It's more complicated than it looks, and if I go into detail, I would prefer to do it in a dedicated thread to just that. My quick mention of them earlier was to simply say, "if you like them, go see them while you still can."

wogwog

That's a good point.
At any rate, I wouldn't expect people to want to watch the fireworks from the new pathway. Given the height of the buildings and the liklihood that the new path will keep guests fairly close to to them, visibility of the fireworks show is likely going to be very poor.

• 040704_routing_backstage_main_street_02-bennett.jpg
  • I occasionally do some work for WDW and have back stage access when I do. But I am subject to the policy of no pictures backstage when I am there. So I will "borrow" this photo to explain what is there now. This photo was taken from just inside the gate between the Plaza Restaurant and the restrooms just to the left of the restaurant toward Tomorowland. If you have ever used the bypass this is the very first part you enter. It looked this way a few days ago. Yesterday the white fence on the left was gone and replaced by construction walls. A matching wall was erected on the right side of the picture a few feet from the rear wall of the Main St buildings. The right side wall already has lights installed. The walls are plain off white, about seven feet high and the open walk way area goes from at least ten feet in places to maybe fifteen feet in places depending what the wall is hiding. The walls currently extend from the gate to about the center of the back of the coffee shop, formerly the Main St Bakery.

• I am not saying this is the final product, or if in fact it is the bypass being discussed but it sure looks like the start of the plain, not themed, bypass wall to me given the location. As others here have guessed the wall will need doors to the backstage area to the left and to the buildings to the right of the bypass that will be closed for brief periods while the bypass is in use. The location will not allow it to be open all the time.

• Again, this is still only an educated guess. I did not ask any of the WDW folks I was seeing for any information as although I live within minutes of the MK I absolutely never go to the park as a guest on any day when the crowd level would need the bypass so I do not have any personal interest. But I will be in the Mk again this week for meetings and will see if any of the folks I see know any verified information.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom