New Low-Carb & Sugar Free Product Offerings on Main Street

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
from Main Street Headlines:

For our carb-conscious Guests, the Main Street Confectionery is pleased to debut our new line of low carb and sugar free candies.

Among the sweet delights are Mini Peanut Butter Cups, Raspberry Jellies, Pecan Caramel Patties, Almond Butter toffee, Vanilla Caramels, Mint Patties, Dark Chocolate Bars, Milk Chocolate Bars, Liquid Caramel Bars, and Peanut Butter Truffle Bars.

The Confectionery also carries Sugar Free Peanut Turtles and Low Carb, Sugar Free Pecan Turtles.

BrerPete

They better keep that stuff behind the counter and out of my site. I sure as heck don't go to Disney to watch my carbs, my intake, or my waistline. Bring on the carbs, fat, goo, whatever and then cover it in caramel.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
As a constant dieter (ie, I have to watch what I eat forever or I'll regain my weight) I'm familiar with some of these products. Be very careful! No sugar does not = low calorie!!! Many products replace one sugar with another; it works fine for glucose control (in diabetics) but does nothing for weight control. Also, overindulgence can produce side effects which might cause you to spend more time in the wdw restrooms than you had planned. :eek:

Be sure to read the labels, and decide if they're worth it. I never buy them; I just splurge with the real thing once in a while.

Upvote 0

Tinkerbell1220

Ok this Low carb fad is gone TO FAR what next... On the plane at workk we serve low carb Akins candy bars with a bag of chips and a turkey sandwich...Let me tell you people eat all of it and ask for more candy..that has a warning sign on it MAY Cause lose stool who wants to eat that :hurl:

If people would learn how to eat one scoop of ice cream or one cookie we would not have to make this awful low carb junk.... Live on the edge... :goodnevil have a Jelly bean,,,,

Upvote 0

Tinkerbell1220

Sorry but being diebtic is not something NEW...dont get me wrong I am glad that these sugar free foods are helping those kind of people... be able to have more kinds of foods avilable..But think how long diebtic needs have been around??? this is not something new...but the low carb diet is it is a fad and that is why they (disney) is doing it as soon as people start gettting sick or die (red meat overload) then the options of no sugar---low carbs will disapear,,, or there will be less of a choice..... But I do have to say this is Great marketing!!

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Most people think weight loss when they hear Atkins (or low carb) When I was pregnant and developed Gestational diabetes (twice) I wasn't trying to lose weight but followed a diabetic diet, which, as tigsmom has pointed out, was the original "low-carb" plan.

I still follow a fairly low carb diet (I'm at greater risk for developing diabetes) although I DO drink wine. ;)

I found some of the sugar free treats to be handy, but never could develop a taste for the chocolate ones. And I'm glad that Disney is offering a wider variety of food for ALL diet variations. (Way back when, there were no vegetarian offerings at any of the fast food restaurants, so my SIL had to bring her own, and the same went for fresh fruit and non-caffeinated drinks)

I'm just reminding those interested in weight loss to be sure to read the labels. :wave:

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Tinkerbell1220 said:
Sorry but being diebtic is not something NEW...dont get me wrong I am glad that these sugar free foods are helping those kind of people... be able to have more kinds of foods avilable..But think how long diebtic needs have been around??? this is not something new...but the low carb diet is it is a fad and that is why they (disney) is doing it as soon as people start gettting sick or die (red meat overload) then the options of no sugar---low carbs will disapear,,, or there will be less of a choice..... But I do have to say this is Great marketing!!

As tigsmom mentioned, and I pointed out, diabetic diet = low carb diet, so it's not going to disappear. She's just happy that she won't have to carry around her own supply of snacks all day, but will be able to buy something at WDW, just like everyone else. And yes, I fear that once the low carb "fad" passes, diabetics will go back to having limited or non-existant choices again.

For now, she's going to enjoy it while it lasts. :slurp:

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

I think this is wonderful, and for those who don't like it, don't buy it of course! It's that simple. But for those who have diabetes, or those who DON'T want to blow what is at least months and more likely YEARS of hard work by over-splurging on vacation, it's great. I however, am a non-diabetic pig, and I will partake of all the fat and sugar laden goodies, and suffer the consequences that come along with those goodies, as opposed to the consequences with the sugar free ones. :lookaroun TMI? :lookaroun :veryconfu Okay, nevermind...

Upvote 0

JBSLJames

I'll try and hit that stuff come November, however, I see myself going off the low-carb, to an extent, while on vacation. Meaning - I gotta gets me a Dole Whip.

Upvote 0

Joy

I think this is great news for those of us on a low-carb diet. :sohappy:

However, they just do need to warn people that some sugar-free candies do cause loose stools ( I have learned my lesson about this more than once,,,,I guess some people just never learn :lol: )

Upvote 0

LadyDarling

tigsmom said:
Avoid the goodies made with malitol. So many of the newer items are using Splenda. Its made from sugar (its molecules are re arranged...still sweet but doesn't cause an insulin reaction.) No side effects ( :eek: ) or aftertaste.

That reminds me of the "fat free" and "olestra". Talk about trips to the bathroom! LOL!
I'm one of those wierdos who believe that too much of ANYTHING is a bad thing, and on the other end too I believe that cutting out any one food group is also a bad thing. I am a constant dieter (having lose 75lbs in the last year and counting - and I needed to. I was at my heaviest- 255 in 2000, and I'm now down to 178lbs. I'm only 5'6"), and even when I go on vacation, I try to eat a LITTLE carefully (not as carefully as I usually do, but I find too much junk food slows me down - the LAST thing we want at Disneyworld).

Working in the medical feild, it's great to see these things become available for all the diebetics out there, and I hope, to some degree, they remain available. I was at one time a vegetarian and can remember well how hard it was to find food offerings in some of the parks. HOWEVER - that being said, I do think the "craze" is a little out of control. I mean it's getting to the point out here in Southeren California (diet central) where everything short of pizza is "low-carb". In fact, it's SO bad, the BREAD industry is being HURT by this! Scary....

But, as far as they go in Disneyworld, I know I do enough walking that 1 chocolate won't kill me. :)

Upvote 0

Erika

tigsmom said:
Some things are not worth substituting. I'd rather have one slice of "real" pizza (thin crust= 30Gms or 1 meal for me) than some of the substitutes.

Ugh, I hear you there! We learned the hard way! John had an INSANE craving for Sbarro's pizza at the mall a few weeks ago, but the guy behind the counter said they didn't have any regular slices available- only low-carb. We thought, "Aw, how badly could they screw up pizza?" and gave it a shot. Turns out they can screw it up pretty badly :lol: Oh well, it was worth trying! Next time we'll know to wait for the real thing. :slurp:

It is nice to see places catering to people with special dietary needs. I know a LOT of people who have gone completely overboard with the Atkins craze (bacon is NOT HEALTH FOOD), but you are right, there are others who need to watch their carb intake for medical reasons.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom