New-ish Runners!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
My name is Kelly & I'm a new-ish runner.

No, this isn't the first time I've ever run. LOL! I have used running in the past to add to my exercise program. Also, several years back I did a good bit of running to prepare for a PT test which was a specific time/distance. This is different. I'm trying to get sorta serious about running for the first time. I want to run/finish a Disney event so I'm trying to get myself geared up, start working my old bones, and get moving in the right direction to accomplish my goal of finishing a half marathon.

I've been reading my women's running book trying to learn as much as I can. I've gotten pretty out of shape since January so I feel almost like I'm starting from scratch here. I've gotten myself some good shoes, socks, and a watch that does intervals for me. Currently I'm just trying to work up to the 30 minutes running without stopping. Baby steps, right?

Who else is just getting started? Any of the Old Hands out there have any tips for us noobs?

That said, I have questions that aren't addressed in my book. If running on a rainy day, do you wear a different pair of shoes or get your favorite pair soaked? Should I change up which socks to wear? ((The ones I wear are sorta thick...I worry they'll be like wearing sponges if I run in them in the rain.)) We don't have hills where I live. I'm sure many of you are thinking "Whaaaaat??? No hills???" Seriously. No hills. Nada. It's totally flat. Unless I run up the highway overpasses there are zip for hills. I'm not really into running in traffic like that. I know the basic Disney routes, that there's a few inclines. Will the fact that I don't have hills to train on gonna kill me? Sunglasses. I totally hate running in my Maui Jims. They fit well & are comfortable but I worry about them falling off & getting messed up. Any thoughts on a less expensive, good quality pair? Oh! And iPods! I was reading the online copy of the rules, etc. that was given out with the Princess Half packets and I **think** I read that running with headphones was not allowed for safety reasons. Do they mean headphones like the things that go over your head or does that also reference ear buds? I run with my iPod shuffle. The music is extremely helpful to me. I don't wanna get to a race day and find out I can't have my iPod which could make the run much tougher for me. I'd rather know now so I could force myself to train without it. Are iPods/ear buds allowed during WDW events???

Mulan

I'm a new-ish runner. I've run a few 5K's and this week I'm doing my first 10K. I hope I can run with music because like you, it really helps me get through it. I'm pretty sure that that safety line is in there for all races - I've read it in the fine print in the safety guidelines.

I like my running shoes, regardless of rain. I'm sure everyone has their preference, but I'd run. As for a change of socks, I'm sure the socks will be the least of our worries in the 13.1 miles :)

Hills: Not that I'm a super experienced runner, but I'd practice running on an incline. Worst case is powerwalk up those hills. Just keep moving.

Can't help you with sunglasses. I'm hoping to get a pair of Oakleys for the race.

Hope to see you at the 2010 Wine and Dine :D

frank2271

My name is Kelly & I'm a new-ish runner.

No, this isn't the first time I've ever run. LOL! I have used running in the past to add to my exercise program. Also, several years back I did a good bit of running to prepare for a PT test which was a specific time/distance. This is different. I'm trying to get sorta serious about running for the first time. I want to run/finish a Disney event so I'm trying to get myself geared up, start working my old bones, and get moving in the right direction to accomplish my goal of finishing a half marathon.

I've been reading my women's running book trying to learn as much as I can. I've gotten pretty out of shape since January so I feel almost like I'm starting from scratch here. I've gotten myself some good shoes, socks, and a watch that does intervals for me. Currently I'm just trying to work up to the 30 minutes running without stopping. Baby steps, right?

Who else is just getting started? Any of the Old Hands out there have any tips for us noobs?

That said, I have questions that aren't addressed in my book. If running on a rainy day, do you wear a different pair of shoes or get your favorite pair soaked? Should I change up which socks to wear? ((The ones I wear are sorta thick...I worry they'll be like wearing sponges if I run in them in the rain.)) We don't have hills where I live. I'm sure many of you are thinking "Whaaaaat??? No hills???" Seriously. No hills. Nada. It's totally flat. Unless I run up the highway overpasses there are zip for hills. I'm not really into running in traffic like that. I know the basic Disney routes, that there's a few inclines. Will the fact that I don't have hills to train on gonna kill me? Sunglasses. I totally hate running in my Maui Jims. They fit well & are comfortable but I worry about them falling off & getting messed up. Any thoughts on a less expensive, good quality pair? Oh! And iPods! I was reading the online copy of the rules, etc. that was given out with the Princess Half packets and I **think** I read that running with headphones was not allowed for safety reasons. Do they mean headphones like the things that go over your head or does that also reference ear buds? I run with my iPod shuffle. The music is extremely helpful to me. I don't wanna get to a race day and find out I can't have my iPod which could make the run much tougher for me. I'd rather know now so I could force myself to train without it. Are iPods/ear buds allowed during WDW events???

Hello and welcome,

I am new to running but have run several Disney races so I will try to help with some of your questions.

1. I'm not sure what the official answer is for the rain/shoe question is, but I wear the same shoes in the rain, they dry pretty quickly if you take the inner soles out.

2. As far as changing up the socks, I've heard you should change up the shoes. I read that it helps with injury prevention since different shoes have different pressure points. I haven't done this yet cause the shoes are so expensive and I just don't have the extra dough. Has anyone else heard this?

3.Disney races do have some inclines, mostly overpasses, so you should try to do some interval training, it's important to do any ways for strengthening the muscles to prevent injury.

4.Sunglasses are a must in FL. I bought a pair of "Ironman" glasses at "Marshall's" (a designer name discount store) for only $9.00 on clearance and LOVE them.

5.As far as iPods are concerned, I think Disney only says "No" for legal purposes. Everyone has them at the race. Everyone! I need my Zune to run long distances, that's all there is to it. No worries here, bring it and Rock On.

Any more questions, just ask, I'm sure more people will post answers/suggestions for you. Like I said I am a new runner too, (started last June), but one thing I do know is that running at Disney has added another layer to our love of the place. I was just there yesterday for the day and I kept saying to my wife, "remember running down here?" You're gonna love it.

Frank

Phonedave

I would not call myself an "old hand" - I have run on and off for a while, but over the last maybe 8 months have started to make it my main form or exercise and a 3 -4 times a week item.

- As was said shoes dry fast. If they are running shoes that is. If you are running in cross trainers or something like that, then you are doing yourself multiple disservices. They are heavier, take longer to dry (from sweat as well as water), and do not provide the proper support. I get my shoes at RoadRunner Sports. They will do a whole work up on you for free - seeing how you pronate, what your pressure points are, etc. And will then recommend shoes and insoles if necessary. They offer a range of prices. I think last time I was there they recommended three models that were like $65 $80 and $110. I went with the $80 ones because they felt the best to me, and there was not even a mention of "upgrading" to the $110 ones.

- Socks - get running socks. No cotton. Cotton is great, I love cotton - but not for exercise. Hiking in cotton (jeans) is just asking for hypothermia (but thats a different topic). Cotton IS a sponge - if you run in cotton it WILL get wet, and most likely you will get a blister. For that matter get rid of the cotton shirt as well. I pick up plain old "running socks" when I see them on sale in any sporting goods store. I have about a dozen pairs. I do have some fancy-schamncy super duper socks that were a bit more. They are nice, but I really don't see much of a difference.

- Lack of hills will not kill you. I have never run Disney routes, but from what I have read the hills are not long grinds but short steep ones. The ones that kill me are the gradual hills that go on and on for a mile plus with no break at all. I don't think Disney has any of those. But you should still find some to run on. It does use different muscles, a different arm swing, and works the cardio.

- I don't run in sunglasses, so I can't help you there. In fact sometimes I run with my eyes almost closed (really). If it is really a problem, why not get a lanyard or some croakies.

- You are not supposed to run with earbuds in. Thats the rule. From what I understand many people still do and nobody says anything. I used to run with an iPod. I run much better without it. I read Zen and the Art of Running, put my iPod away, and never looked back. Now I can concentrate on my breathing and pace, identify acknowledge and compartmentalize any aches and pains, and get into the state of 'flow' a lot easier. I never thought I would be able to run without music to pass the time and 'pump me up'. Now music makes the run seem longer.

-dave

HollyBelle

Hi, Kelly! :wave:

It's so good to hear you're getting out there and working towards that first half!! Which one are you planning/hoping for, right now?

As for ipods during the Disney races, while they aren't allowed, they won't disqualify you for having/using one. My music is a huge motivator for me as I'm running... I truly don't know how I'd get out there and put in the miles without it. Brett and I both carried them during the 2009 Full. And other than for a brief mile or two out on Bear Island Road when the course was extremely quiet and I didn't truly know if I could make it to the end did I turn mine on. Brett didn't use his once. Therefore, we didn't even take them for the Princess Half. And didn't miss them one bit. As much as I need the music during training... the race courses are full of so much fun and excitement, which is more than enough motivation.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Even for a more casual runner, I strongly suggest you keep two pairs of running shoes at all times. Before one pair is totally run into the ground, get a second pair and alternate for an easier transition. Another option is if you find a style that you like, get two pair and alternate. It will extend the life on both pair giving them time to recover between uses.
If you have two pair, I would suggest using the older pair as your "mudders".

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
I'm a new-ish runner. I've run a few 5K's and this week I'm doing my first 10K. I hope I can run with music because like you, it really helps me get through it. I'm pretty sure that that safety line is in there for all races - I've read it in the fine print in the safety guidelines.

I like my running shoes, regardless of rain. I'm sure everyone has their preference, but I'd run. As for a change of socks, I'm sure the socks will be the least of our worries in the 13.1 miles :)

Hills: Not that I'm a super experienced runner, but I'd practice running on an incline. Worst case is powerwalk up those hills. Just keep moving.

Can't help you with sunglasses. I'm hoping to get a pair of Oakleys for the race.

Hope to see you at the 2010 Wine and Dine :D

I **wish** I could make it for the Wine & Dine but, unfortunately, it's impossible. School will have us tied down around that time. Y'all be sure to write up your reports and share! Reading them is soooo motivating!

Hello and welcome,

I am new to running but have run several Disney races so I will try to help with some of your questions.

1. I'm not sure what the official answer is for the rain/shoe question is, but I wear the same shoes in the rain, they dry pretty quickly if you take the inner soles out.

2. As far as changing up the socks, I've heard you should change up the shoes. I read that it helps with injury prevention since different shoes have different pressure points. I haven't done this yet cause the shoes are so expensive and I just don't have the extra dough. Has anyone else heard this?

3.Disney races do have some inclines, mostly overpasses, so you should try to do some interval training, it's important to do any ways for strengthening the muscles to prevent injury.

4.Sunglasses are a must in FL. I bought a pair of "Ironman" glasses at "Marshall's" (a designer name discount store) for only $9.00 on clearance and LOVE them.

5.As far as iPods are concerned, I think Disney only says "No" for legal purposes. Everyone has them at the race. Everyone! I need my Zune to run long distances, that's all there is to it. No worries here, bring it and Rock On.

Any more questions, just ask, I'm sure more people will post answers/suggestions for you. Like I said I am a new runner too, (started last June), but one thing I do know is that running at Disney has added another layer to our love of the place. I was just there yesterday for the day and I kept saying to my wife, "remember running down here?" You're gonna love it.

Frank

Oh yeah! I'm hoping running a Disney race will give me yet another cool experience at our happy place. Plus, I like a challenge. I've never really considered doing something like this before I started reading the reports written by HollyBelle. Now I wanna do it for the opportunity to do the impossible (for me) and have more Disney fun!

I would not call myself an "old hand" - I have run on and off for a while, but over the last maybe 8 months have started to make it my main form or exercise and a 3 -4 times a week item.

- As was said shoes dry fast. If they are running shoes that is. If you are running in cross trainers or something like that, then you are doing yourself multiple disservices. They are heavier, take longer to dry (from sweat as well as water), and do not provide the proper support. I get my shoes at RoadRunner Sports. They will do a whole work up on you for free - seeing how you pronate, what your pressure points are, etc. And will then recommend shoes and insoles if necessary. They offer a range of prices. I think last time I was there they recommended three models that were like $65 $80 and $110. I went with the $80 ones because they felt the best to me, and there was not even a mention of "upgrading" to the $110 ones.

- Socks - get running socks. No cotton. Cotton is great, I love cotton - but not for exercise. Hiking in cotton (jeans) is just asking for hypothermia (but thats a different topic). Cotton IS a sponge - if you run in cotton it WILL get wet, and most likely you will get a blister. For that matter get rid of the cotton shirt as well. I pick up plain old "running socks" when I see them on sale in any sporting goods store. I have about a dozen pairs. I do have some fancy-schamncy super duper socks that were a bit more. They are nice, but I really don't see much of a difference.

- Lack of hills will not kill you. I have never run Disney routes, but from what I have read the hills are not long grinds but short steep ones. The ones that kill me are the gradual hills that go on and on for a mile plus with no break at all. I don't think Disney has any of those. But you should still find some to run on. It does use different muscles, a different arm swing, and works the cardio.

- I don't run in sunglasses, so I can't help you there. In fact sometimes I run with my eyes almost closed (really). If it is really a problem, why not get a lanyard or some croakies.

- You are not supposed to run with earbuds in. Thats the rule. From what I understand many people still do and nobody says anything. I used to run with an iPod. I run much better without it. I read Zen and the Art of Running, put my iPod away, and never looked back. Now I can concentrate on my breathing and pace, identify acknowledge and compartmentalize any aches and pains, and get into the state of 'flow' a lot easier. I never thought I would be able to run without music to pass the time and 'pump me up'. Now music makes the run seem longer.

-dave

Oh yeah! I've got me 2 pairs of super-comfy running shoes (no crosstrainers). I have a pair of Asics I bought a couple months ago just because I felt like I needed a fresh pair. Then a couple weeks ago I went to a running specialty shop in Houston, had them have a look at my pronation, and picked up a fairly inexpensive pair of Brooks. Both are super comfy. Socks. Last year I had the worst time with blistering on my baby toes. Talk about excruciating. I invested in a couple pairs of thick Thorlos running socks ($10/pair which totally made me sick to spend) which have made all the difference in the world with my toes. That and the new shoes I got this year. No more blisters for me.

Because of how thick the Thorlos socks were I was sorta worried about running in the rain with them. I don't want them to absorb a ton of water. I need to go find a couple thinner pairs of running socks just to use during wet conditions.

Zen & the Art of Running, huh? I can see where the concept lies. I'll have to check that one out.

Thanks, Dave!

Hi, Kelly! :wave:

It's so good to hear you're getting out there and working towards that first half!! Which one are you planning/hoping for, right now?

As for ipods during the Disney races, while they aren't allowed, they won't disqualify you for having/using one. My music is a huge motivator for me as I'm running... I truly don't know how I'd get out there and put in the miles without it. Brett and I both carried them during the 2009 Full. And other than for a brief mile or two out on Bear Island Road when the course was extremely quiet and I didn't truly know if I could make it to the end did I turn mine on. Brett didn't use his once. Therefore, we didn't even take them for the Princess Half. And didn't miss them one bit. As much as I need the music during training... the race courses are full of so much fun and excitement, which is more than enough motivation.

Hi Holly! Yeah, I kinda figured running the Disney races and having so many people around it wouldn't get as boring as being all by myself running loops in the new subdivision behind ours. Except for the construction crews at one end & the occasional airplanes taking off nearby it's just dull to no end. That's the main reason I depend so much on the music. The women's running book I just read was written by a lady who lives in Colorado. She's all recommending you pick different scenic routes to run which totally cracks me up. I sure wish I lived where she does. There's nothing scenic anywhere near here. It's just flat and the only thing other than the ordinary, unspectacular stuff around here are oil refineries. Not very picturesque. :lol:

I'm hoping my first event will be the Princess half in 2011. Originally the thinking was that the dates coincide with the boys' Spring Break but that's not so much an issue anymore since beginning next year I'll be homeschooling. I still like the timing. I'm not eager to do another trip in January after the nightmare of a time we had with the frigid weather this year. We'd like to be a little warmer and maybe find some better park hours. Plus, seriously, being the girly-girl that I am what could be better for me than a "Princess" event?! :king:

Even for a more casual runner, I strongly suggest you keep two pairs of running shoes at all times. Before one pair is totally run into the ground, get a second pair and alternate for an easier transition. Another option is if you find a style that you like, get two pair and alternate. It will extend the life on both pair giving them time to recover between uses.
If you have two pair, I would suggest using the older pair as your "mudders".

Yep, I wore my older pair of running shoes on Friday when we the skies were threatening rain. I just couldn't bring myself to wear the newer, prettier pair when I knew I'd be sloshing thru some puddles. ((After all, they're PINK!)) It didn't rain on me at all but there was plenty of water to run thru.

Thanks muchly for the tips!:wave:

Phonedave

Oh yeah! I've got me 2 pairs of super-comfy running shoes (no crosstrainers). I have a pair of Asics I bought a couple months ago just because I felt like I needed a fresh pair. Then a couple weeks ago I went to a running specialty shop in Houston, had them have a look at my pronation, and picked up a fairly inexpensive pair of Brooks.

I used to have Brooks. Now I have a pair of Saucony Ride 2's. I like them, but I think I liked the Brooks better - I'm not sure.

Decisions, Decisions :)

-dave

dreamfinder

That said, I have questions that aren't addressed in my book. If running on a rainy day, do you wear a different pair of shoes or get your favorite pair soaked?
I find that to be personal preference. If I'm running at the gym, my shoes get soaked anyway (it's warm in there) so running in the rain with em isn't any different. I only hesitate for the first week or so with a new pair. I do keep an old pair for trail races if its muddy cause that can get nasty, but regular rain is ok.
Should I change up which socks to wear? ((The ones I wear are sorta thick...I worry they'll be like wearing sponges if I run in them in the rain.))
Socks are up to you. However, I agree with the PP's, get some real running socks. Thick, thin, all personal preference, but the new socks specifically made for running are very nice. And you can get em for cheap, if you look.
We don't have hills where I live. I'm sure many of you are thinking "Whaaaaat??? No hills???" Seriously. No hills. Nada. It's totally flat. Unless I run up the highway overpasses there are zip for hills. I'm not really into running in traffic like that. I know the basic Disney routes, that there's a few inclines. Will the fact that I don't have hills to train on gonna kill me?
Is it gonna kill you? Not gonna kill you, but your legs will really hate you even more. Find some hills somewhere nearby and run em. Even if its only a few times in the months leading up to the race. Or maybe the local sports fields have inclines on the sides? They don't need to be big, anything helps. Or if you belong to a gym, switch up the incline on a treadmill. Or heck, even running stairs is along the same lines.
Sunglasses. I totally hate running in my Maui Jims. They fit well & are comfortable but I worry about them falling off & getting messed up. Any thoughts on a less expensive, good quality pair?
Can't help you with that, sorry.
Oh! And iPods! I was reading the online copy of the rules, etc. that was given out with the Princess Half packets and I **think** I read that running with headphones was not allowed for safety reasons. Do they mean headphones like the things that go over your head or does that also reference ear buds? I run with my iPod shuffle. The music is extremely helpful to me. I don't wanna get to a race day and find out I can't have my iPod which could make the run much tougher for me. I'd rather know now so I could force myself to train without it. Are iPods/ear buds allowed during WDW events???
Any USATF sanctioned event is supposed to say that headphones are not permitted. Some will also specify that you cannot use music period, meaning you can't just have your headphones hanging around your neck with the music turned up really loud. Most races will say it for their insurance/liability reasons. Especially when you are running on the side of the road, if you can't hear the cars around you, its very unsafe. So instead of checking everyone's music to make sure that you can hear everything around you, its easier to say they aren't allowed.
Is it enforced? Not really. Kinda like the signs at Thunder Mountain saying no pregnant women, people with bad hearts, etc. It's a way to cover themselves so if something happens, they can say they told you not to do it. If you were an elite runner, or there was prize money involved, then they may enforce it. But for the normal recreational runner, it's usually not enforced.
However, I strongly advise against listening to music while running strictly as a safety aspect, but if you insist on it, maybe try only using 1 earbud? Or something similar. I used music for a while, but for the last few years haven't and I don't miss it any more. I find I notice the surroundings more when running.

I actually took up running about a year ago but ended up with stress fractures due to incorrect shoes. I'm hoping to get back into running now that I'm for the most part pain free. I just need to get the right shoes. Unfortunately I'll have to start out on a treadmill due to doctor's orders but I'll do what I have to in order to get back out there.

Not sure when but I hope to make the Goofy half-marathon my first Disney race in a couple years :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom