News New Instagram Wall in Toontown

Ismael Flores

I never see that theater in use. I'm sure they use it but it's been years since I've actually seen something going on in there. IMO, they should renovate it and create an entirely new show - like a mini version of Hyperion.

last time i passed by it a show was going on, half of the center section had people and the rest of the theater was empty.
you are correct that area is a waste of space. Its even worse that the theater sits unused most of the evening during park hours.

At this point they should probably gut out the magic eye theater, retrofit the theater so they can do live shows. similar to the way it was when it was an open air theater. Have whatever shows they want in there as long as the name of the theater and the outside remains true to the tomorrowland theme.

At that point tear out the Fantasyland theater and put an attraction that can funnel guests all day long.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
last time i passed by it a show was going on, half of the center section had people and the rest of the theater was empty.
you are correct that area is a waste of space. Its even worse that the theater sits unused most of the evening during park hours.

At this point they should probably gut out the magic eye theater, retrofit the theater so they can do live shows. similar to the way it was when it was an open air theater. Have whatever shows they want in there as long as the name of the theater and the outside remains true to the tomorrowland theme.

At that point tear out the Fantasyland theater and put an attraction that can funnel guests all day long.

Agreed :) areas like this (and IMO, Star Wars Launch Bay and Autopia) can easily be better used to occupy more guests.

lazyboy97o

I remember a few months ago it got brought up on here that none of current WDI are trained as artists like the first and second gen WDI/WDI designers were. I think this proves it. I think there are toddlers doing a better job in the Animation Academy at DCA.
Walt Disney Imagineering was never all artists. It’s also a large organization with many roles. There is even the possibility that something like this didn’t go through Walt Disney Imagineering and was done locally by the park.

SuddenStorm

Walt Disney Imagineering was never all artists. It’s also a large organization with many roles. There is even the possibility that something like this didn’t go through Walt Disney Imagineering and was done locally by the park.

Obviously, the Imagineers relevant to the comment would be in the creative/art development side of Imagineering, not the engineering and various other roles available within Imagineering.

The point is that this painting is incredibly amateur- whether it was done by Imagineering, or an intern sneaking in with a bucket of paint overnight.

SuddenStorm

Maybe it’s another of their lame “It’s supposed to look bad” Dino-Rama style ideas? Since it’s Toontown, maybe we’re supposed to guess Goofy painted it... Oh, okay, now it’s brilliant.

This reminds me of that awful Pizza Planet tarp they put over the Redd Rockett's sign (I wonder... did Pirate Redd venture over to Tomorrowland and start a pizza place? Y'all heard it here first- Redd was an attempt to tie the park with a unifying theme, like the Lafitte references in NOS)

Turning Redd Rockett's into Pizza Planet was an amazing idea- they could have had a few of the Starcade arcades in there, and have a claw machine with the green aliens, an an occasional Buzz or two. It also could have refreshed the area with better decor and a better menu. Honstley, it'd be a natural fit.

Instead? We get a Pixar Pier level reskin, with a few new posters, a weird pizza special, and a now sun bleached tarp over the Redd Rockett's sign. Most of the fanbase decried it as offensively bad (cause it was), but the fellow who runs Micechat offered his Sage insight and defended it saying "It's supposed to be bad, it was the aliens taking over Redd Rockett's!"

Ismael Flores

a bit of topic but did anyone hear about the Mickey Minnie POP UP exhibit that will be coming to DTD inside the ESPN building. What i found interesting is the this "Every room will feature selfie-worthy surprises and provide plenty of fun and fabulous photo ops for all your family and friends". and continues with this "One such surprise will be a super-sized and super sweet bow sofa. In this area, you can pop into the portrait and take a seat on Minnie’s plush sofa or pose under Minnie’s giant bows and hearts. Don’t forget to blow a kiss!"

looks like the instagram wall additions continue .....

__r.jr

So....does this board generally hate Toon Town or just dislike that it's looking a little tired?

More of the latter. Many of us hold contempt of what it has become.

A land that is dedicated to characters, ones that are iconographically synonymous with Disney, that have transcended decades warrants such scrutiny. Much of the land's original features have been removed/compromised entirely. The Jolly Trolly, Goofy's Bounce House and Chip n' Dale's Acorn Pit. And now, it's become a struggle to even maintain paint schemes.

The land; the characters deserve better. The concept deserves to be re-imagined let alone, as it stands now, leaves a lot to be desired.

SuddenStorm

I miss Toon Town. What we have now is a sad land with one real Disney ride. Jolly Trolly was fun. Goofy’s House, Donald’s Boat, and Chip & Dale’s Treehouse are shells of what they once were; most of the fun elements have been stripped away.

That's sort of a recurring theme of the lands at Disneyland. Just look at Tomorrowland... or even Critter Country, and to an extent, New Orleans Square.

Or remember when Main Street actually had unique stores that did more than hawk t shirts and pins to tourists?

George Lucas on a Bench

In all fairness to Disney (I know, I can't believe I'm posting this), the things Mesh Hatter is referencing are infantile play areas for babies. I realize these amusement parks are rather childish by nature and I certainly feel like an immature creep when I visit, but does it really bother any sane adults here that they altered the children's playground?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom