"New Horizons" at Epcot

Enderikari

comics101 said:
and to Enderikari, I'm able to walk into WDW every year with a smile on my face, but that doesn't mean i don't want a favorite(COP) to close. No one does. I just don't understand why they don't move COP to Epcot. It would make more sense there.
But that is not your decision to make, if they want to close COP, they can.. If they want to put a new show there, they can..

Right now, WDW is experiencing a boom in attendance, all based on the fact that, whether folks on this board want to accept it or not, the last few years have been a boom of good decisions. More people are coming to the parks, more people are enjoying themselves and finding the magic of Disney. Just because it makes sense to you, doesn't mean that its a good decision.
That's fine that you don't want your favorite ride to close, no one does. But it may close... Is that going to hurt you terribly? Or are you able to accept that fact that WDW is not yours, it belongs to everybody; the people that visit everyday, and the people that are just thinking of coming for a first visit. Your fond memories of COP are most likely linked to fond memories you had as a child. To tell you the truth, the attraction is not all that wonderful. But let Disney do what it does best (whether folks around here want to accept it or not, Disney does know how to run a theme park.) Let them make the decisions that will keep WDW alive for decades to come, whether you like them or not.

Side note: People often ask me what I would think Walt would say if he saw Walt Disney World today, and my immediate reaction is always, "Carousel of Progress is still open? Bulldoze that thing!"

Connor002

jedimaster1227 said:
Edutainment has never worked (take Schoolhouse Rock as an example of that).
It obviously did not work for Epcot, or we wouldn't have the problems we have (and have been fixing) for so many years.
The American general public is comprised of idiots?!? :confused:
Yep.
In the imortal words of so many Disney Guests... "I don't want to get educated on my vacation!"
I'm not so sure on that one, considering that Walt Disney and almost all of the Disney management are American.
What part of "General American Public" did you not comprehend?
Management is not the target, the everyday person, who is neither worried about fiscal or creative values while on their vacation, are the target audience. To be truthful, I have no idea what you're trying to say by bringing in this "fact," it's nigh irrelevant.

The Quest!

sheesh....this post is starting to get violent haha

Here's my take:

all of the new rides so far have been better for business and are much more fun and thrilling and still kinda tie in with the theme of EPCOT so i dont know what you people are talking about...

the American general public IS in fact, compromised of idiots...and the people who run Disney are NOT considered "general public"...

PotC is almost NEVER empty...where have you been for the past 28 years?

Change is neccesary and usually good..people want to experience new things

M:S did NOT cost $200 million...get your facts straight before you criticize

and...WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE GETTING SO ANGRY??? THESE PAST RIDES ARE NEVER COMING BACK, AND WHILE IT'S OK FOR YOU TO DREAM ABOUT IT HAPPENING, PLEASE KEEP THESE DREAMS TO YOURSELVES SO WE DON'T HAVE TO HAVE THIS ARGUMENT....THIS IS DISNEY...WE SHOULD ALL BE NICE!

THANK YOU, AND HAVE A NICE DAY :-]

BruceWayne

I think its great when people talk about the educational value of present or former Epcot rides, that they have an ability to "inspire". Just out of curiosity, how many people can you think of, that when asked who or what inspired them to accomplish their goals, has answered, "I owe it all to the World of Motion,"? I mean, I understand SOMEONE has been, but the edutainment and inspirational value of a theme park ride is very low. I don't remember seeing Bill Gates, Barak Obama, George Bush, Will Ferrell, Bob Iger, Tony Stewart, Maria Sharapova, Condolezza Rice, Oprah, or any countless number of other people who have gone on to build our nation in some way, saying they were inspired by a Disney Theme Park ride.

I loved WoM and Horizons, but you're kidding yourself if you think some kid was riding one of those, thought to themselves I WANT TO BE A FARMER ON MARS AND FARM ORANGES!!!! And then actually went on to follow that goal. We need to stop devaluing truly inspirational experiences....

Like American Adventure....That song gets me every time....

Crazy Harry

Pongo said:
Test Track is progress. The ride technology was extremely innovative for its time. It is that extremely innovative technology that CAUSES the breakdowns. Again, Mission: Space was an innovative ride with brand new technology, which is why it cost 100 million dollars. It is also about the progress of the human race into regions we have never reached before (Mars), much like Horizons was (with the different places to live: space, sea, etc.). The reason for IMAG's re-imagineering in the late 90's has been discussed in NUMEROUS threads. Bringing it up adds nothing to your argument since it has nothing to do with progress or a lack thereof.

Also bringing up the deaths on M:S was not only uncalled for, but extremely disrespectful.

You're right there, but new usually means innovative. You're saying that TT and M:S were new but not better, however, the technology for both was innovative, which is better in my book.

Not to mention that both helped to revive a dying EPCOT Center and bring into the successful EPCOT of today. Remember when everyone thought Epcot was "boring"? Yeah, guess why.

Have you been living under a rock for the last five months? They JUST added new effects to make it a more appealing ride. And guess what? It worked.

Well, I certainly appologize for the bluntness of my statement concerning mission: and those who have passed while riding it. But let us also look at the facts. A good number of people have died on mission space where other rides have a much better record. I feel that you can argue either way whether the ride itself caused those deaths and I will explain. Look at all of the crazy intense rollercoasters across the country, and how many of them have had riders die of heart or brain conditions. When someone goes to six flags, they know what they are getting. When someone sees a rollercoaster lauching people at 100 mph and sending them 400 ft in the air, it is easy for them to say, that looks too intense for me, I know better than to ride it. Now i guess saying the ride itself is the cause for those deaths is out of line, but given many different reasons it is harder for people to determine if the ride is for them or not. You can't see it in action and have no idea what you are getting into until you actually ride it. Opinions and reviews are subjective, so they don't always apply. And sure, there are warnings all over the place, but this doesn't stop a good number of people. It's disney after all. How bad could it be. Compare it to the other thrill rides like splash or space mountain, or BTMR. Those are disney thrill rides but no where near the standards of other thrill based amusement parks. Space mountain has warnings all over it too, but the sensation of the ride and the actual stress on the body are not compareable. People may think 'well, if I handled that I can handle this'. Or finding out it is a simulator makes it compareable to Soarin or Star tours until you are familiar whith it. It is certainly quite different when compared to other disney rides which is both good and bad. You attract a new crowd, but at the same time you risk alienating or catching families off guard who are used to a tamer disney experience. Look at all of the problems they had with AE. It was innovative technology directed toward an older audience, but families took their children on this ride regardless of the warnings because disney intense is not everybody else intense. Snow white is concidered tense for younger rides by disney standards. Because of the complaints, regardless if it was innovative or progressive technology, AE was removed. It was simply out of place because Disney park are ment to be family oriented. Most people come to believe that every experience at disney is suitable for everyone because of it's conotation. As much as I love Mission: Space on a solely personal level, on a whole I don't believe it was a good addition for the above mentioned reasons. No other ride in the park has barf bags on board out of nessesity. Sure the technolgy can be considered advanced or innovative, but it doesn't nessisarily make it better on the whole. It's an expensive way to spin you in front of a video screen.

Innovative is a purly subjective term. There are some things that are easier to classify as innovative and others that can be argued to eternity. A car that runs on a non fossil fuel source, that would be innovative. A cure for cancer, that would be innovative. Cell phones, yes and no. It is advanced technology on a preexisting idea which has benifits and flaws. People can reach you incase of emergency, but can cause distractions leading to deaths. For those who critized me about my comment on mission space, let's look at it from another angle. Do cell phones cause vehicular accidents or is it the carless driver using it. Do guns kill people or is it simply the people who use them that are to blame. Of course, if you took cell phones away there would be no accidents from that cause and certainly fewer accidents due to a distracted driver. Getting rid of guns would decrease murder rates everywhere. So hopefully you can see depending on your point of view either could be true.

And if a ride system brakes down often, it's flawed and it's hard to call it innovative if it doesn't work right unless you are saying because the technology is so advanced that it is supposed to break down which almost seemed like what you were suggesting. Advanced maybe to some degree, but not innovative.

And when test track was built, it was the first truely new ride in ages, so of course it would attract people becasue of the scale of the attraction and not nessisarily any other reason. Look at EE. Everyone flocked due to the antisipation without real knowledge of the quality. With the right theme and marketing you can do this with any ride. Didn't Monsters Inc help Cali Adventure, and that's just a little itty bitty dark ride. Granted it has a popular movie as the theme, but any idea that is bound to intrigue people while increase the guest count, like a yeti for example.

And yes, test track is simulated driving. You ride in a car and are taken through a test track which in real life a car is driven through. It simulates a driving experience. I realize it's a little more sophisticated than that, and I do like this ride, but on a basic level that's all it is as far as I am concerned. And yes it's popular, but so was 20k and Mr. Toad but it was ok to tear those down because that's progress.

I realize pirates just received on update, but how many other rides could have recieved an update instead of being torn down. I guess that's what my point was.

I'm not really on one side or the other. I like keeping an open mind in these situations and not simply new is good and old is bad or vice versa because that is all subjective. So when I see a one sided arguement occuring I like to step in and dispatch my own fairly open minded opinion.

Again, I appologize anyone who was offended by my previous statement. It was not ment to be hurtful and I regret the interpreted inappropretness.

Crazy Harry

peter11435 said:
Nobody said that new is always better.

You say that, but someone else says this.

Enderikari said:
But that is not your decision to make, if they want to close COP, they can.. If they want to put a new show there, they can..

Right now, WDW is experiencing a boom in attendance, all based on the fact that, whether folks on this board want to accept it or not, the last few years have been a boom of good decisions. More people are coming to the parks, more people are enjoying themselves and finding the magic of Disney. Just because it makes sense to you, doesn't mean that its a good decision.
That's fine that you don't want your favorite ride to close, no one does. But it may close... Is that going to hurt you terribly? Or are you able to accept that fact that WDW is not yours, it belongs to everybody; the people that visit everyday, and the people that are just thinking of coming for a first visit. Your fond memories of COP are most likely linked to fond memories you had as a child. To tell you the truth, the attraction is not all that wonderful. But let Disney do what it does best (whether folks around here want to accept it or not, Disney does know how to run a theme park.) Let them make the decisions that will keep WDW alive for decades to come, whether you like them or not.

Side note: People often ask me what I would think Walt would say if he saw Walt Disney World today, and my immediate reaction is always, "Carousel of Progress is still open? Bulldoze that thing!"

Or this...

Enderikari said:
Wow, speak for yourself and a few crazy others... Not all of us want Horizons back... Don't speak ex cathedra out of your belly-button, you, and the folks who want Dreamfinder/Horizons/World of Motion/Mr. Toads/Old Enchanted Tiki Room back do not represent even a tiny fraction of the guests that visit Walt Disney World...
And to top it all off, new guests want new experiences, Disney has to appeal to people who are on the fence about whether or not to make that first magical trip to Walt Disney World, not to the disgruntled person who has been there so often they don't realize the happiness all around them...
Not only are folks like you a lost cause(sorry to say, your disgruntledness comes from the jealousy revolving around, and the plain and simple fact that you do not run the place), but nothing Disney will ever do will ever make you happy again, because you have to find it in yourself.
Hoo-ray for Disney for trying to bring new people to its parks. Hoo-ray for having the foresight to realize that change is not only good, but necessary. Hoo-ray for not pandering to the whims of nuts who would turn places of innovation for the masses into museums for personal enjoyment.
Sorry to reveal this little tidbit of information to you, but perspective is needed. Find your happiness in the parks, bitterness and jealousy are unbecoming. Realize that Disney is a business, and their product is magic. Disney appeals to me, because it makes me happy... Not only because I experience the magic for myself, but because every time I go there I see thousands of smiling faces, who are not wondering where a creepy bearded guy is, who are not wondering whether or not the Carousel or Progress will be there next year, who are not hindered by the nostalgic, gold-trimmed memories of an attraction far past its prime... Instead, they see new discoveries, the world around them, and enter a place of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

wannab@dis

Crazy Harry said:

Or this...
Where exactly did he say that 'new is always better'? :veryconfu

I'm sorry, but so far, I can't agree with anything that you've posted. In fact, your claim that you are 'fairly open minded' seems about as far from the truth as you can get. I see nothing open minded about your posts. In fact, it appears to be nothing more than the tired argument about how Horizons was better than anything done lately and it didn't kill anyone.

By the way... when did TWO people equal "A good number of people"??? :rolleyes:

Enderikari

Crazy Harry said:

Or this...

Yep, and I stand by my comments... You want to call me out? Fine, I will take the bait.
Change is not only good, but necessary. Just because certain elements of the web-posting kind don't like something, doesn't mean it isn't popular... People all over the internet need to come to the sudden and inescapable conclusion that they are not the center of the universe, and that WDW is built for everyone... Management at Walt Disney World does not make decisions based on a whim, they research everything, finding what people like and don't like (and that's all people, not just web-posting folks.) The reason I say that change is good, and that new is better, is because I can see the whole picture, all the guests, not just the annual passholders, or the folks that have been there 5 times a year. A decision to put something new into the parks is, in all cases, a multi-million dollar decision, and not one that Disney takes lightly.. Will some attractions fail? Sure, not everything has a 100% success rate, but at least they are putting things new in there, not letting WDW become stagnant.

Anything else?

Crazy Harry

wannab@dis said:
Where exactly did he say that 'new is always better'? :veryconfu

I'm sorry, but so far, I can't agree with anything that you've posted. In fact, your claim that you are 'fairly open minded' seems about as far from the truth as you can get. I see nothing open minded about your posts. In fact, it appears to be nothing more than the tired argument about how Horizons was better than anything done lately and it didn't kill anyone.

By the way... when did TWO people equal "A good number of people"??? :rolleyes:

Ok, so please quote me and explain how what I have said is so far from the truth because all you have done here is made this claim with no example of how it is true.

When have I once even mentioned Horizons.

I am simply trying to establish the fact that their are multiple points of view and that not all new rides are bad and not all are nessisarily good either. Some people say keep all old rides and some people say new is better so shut up. I'm saying new is not always better although it can be and that some rides didn't deserve to be destroyed but some needed to. It's a case to case basis. For example, some people may be completely republican, some democratic, maybe I agree with some views and disagree with others on both sides.

And yes, two is alot of deaths for a ride that has only been operating for three years in my opinion. I'm sure there are many roller coasters that have been around much longer without a death at all.

Please allow me the opportunity to defend myself instead of making broad comments that only state I am wrong but not really why.

And to enderkari, I'm not calling you out at all. I was simply trying to illustrate for the other guy that someone had made comments that all new things were good which is how your comments come off. You are certainly entitled to your opinion whether I agree with it completely or not. I'm not going to take the time to pick apart your comments inorder to explain how they suggest that all new is good. That may not nessesarily be your stance, but could easily be interpreted that way. Of course maybe since you didn't say it in those exact words then it must not count.

BruceWayne

Crazy Harry said:
...so shut up...

Allow me to interject here. Just stop. I'm going to speak on behalf of the general populous and inform you that at this point, no one cares anymore. You are rude, you make aggregious, erroneous, and unfounded accusations, and more to the point, you are making a lot of people dislike you, with the way you are handling yourself.

Im not the attitude police or forum police or whatever, but I do think we need to get this back on topic. So, unless you have something NEW to add to the TOPICS DISCUSSION, please do not post in this thread again. That way no more pointless flame wars will occur.

PS. To get back on topic: I think M:S is great, a step forward in the technological department, and the ride department as well; however, I sort of feel like Test Track is overrated. Its fun I guess, but there isnt a lot there to hold my interest. I can drive down the highway with my windows down at 65 to get the same "exciting" effect. That's just my opinion....

I loved Horizons, but it needed to go, it was very outdated. I love SE but it needs an update.

MJL

Original Poster
BruceWayne said:
I think its great when people talk about the educational value of present or former Epcot rides, that they have an ability to "inspire". Just out of curiosity, how many people can you think of, that when asked who or what inspired them to accomplish their goals, has answered, "I owe it all to the World of Motion,"? I mean, I understand SOMEONE has been, but the edutainment and inspirational value of a theme park ride is very low. I don't remember seeing Bill Gates, Barak Obama, George Bush, Will Ferrell, Bob Iger, Tony Stewart, Maria Sharapova, Condolezza Rice, Oprah, or any countless number of other people who have gone on to build our nation in some way, saying they were inspired by a Disney Theme Park ride.

I loved WoM and Horizons, but you're kidding yourself if you think some kid was riding one of those, thought to themselves I WANT TO BE A FARMER ON MARS AND FARM ORANGES!!!! And then actually went on to follow that goal. We need to stop devaluing truly inspirational experiences....

You sound like a recent graduate of the Test Track school of Test dummies .. sounds like YOU were inspired.

Inspiration comes in many forms and flavors, and I for one WAS inspired by Epcot to get into computers in the 80s, as well as many of my friends who were also inspired in one form or another.

Dreaming about what the future might hold and how people will live is not an old idea .. it is a timeless idea. How Disney could choose the execute on this idea has many possibilities. I suppose you would like SSE also gutted?

autumndawn1006

BruceWayne said:
I don't remember seeing Bill Gates, Barak Obama, George Bush, Will Ferrell, Bob Iger, Tony Stewart, Maria Sharapova, Condolezza Rice, Oprah, or any countless number of other people who have gone on to build our nation in some way, saying they were inspired by a Disney Theme Park ride.

I like your thread and appreciate your viewpoint, but I am curious how Tony Stewart or Will Ferrell are building our nation. Are we that desperate for inspirational cultural icons?

Enderikari

Crazy Harry said:
And to enderkari, I'm not calling you out at all. I was simply trying to illustrate for the other guy that someone had made comments that all new things were good which is how your comments come off. You are certainly entitled to your opinion whether I agree with it completely or not. I'm not going to take the time to pick apart your comments inorder to explain how they suggest that all new is good. That may not nessesarily be your stance, but could easily be interpreted that way. Of course maybe since you didn't say it in those exact words then it must not count.

The reason my comments come off as "New is Always Better" is because I believe that, in some way shape or form, new is always better (see there, I won't make you say it.) That doesn't mean I don't miss attractions, that doesn't mean I like the fact that my fathers favorite attraction (Who Wants to Be A Millionaire: Play It!) is going away. It means that when something is new, it means things are changing... And change means people are scrutinizing what works and what doesn't, and have the chutzpah to change it.
Now a few of their decisions, you may not like... And some of your favorite attractions from yester year may have been on, or may still be on the chopping block. But, people who take personal offense at the removal of attractions, or certain elements of attractions, take those individual attractions way too seriously. They do not realize that the majority of guests want something different than a creepy guy with his hand in a dragon....
There is not a public outcry for the return of Horizons, because, most normal people do not care, nor remember the attraction.
To sum up, I do believe that new is always better... Because it is. New implies change, and change is good, whether I personally like the change or not.

dxwwf3

Enderikari said:
To sum up, I do believe that new is always better... Because it is. New implies change, and change is good, whether I personally like the change or not.

I kind of have my doubts you would be saying that if Disney decided to tear out The American Adventure and replace it with a playground and McDonalds's Fries stand.

dxwwf3

BTW, I've been very please with 99% of the changes Disney has made lately and I look forward to many more of the same quality.

Crazy Harry

BruceWayne said:
Allow me to interject here. Just stop. I'm going to speak on behalf of the general populous and inform you that at this point, no one cares anymore. You are rude, you make aggregious, erroneous, and unfounded accusations, and more to the point, you are making a lot of people dislike you, with the way you are handling yourself.

Im not the attitude police or forum police or whatever, but I do think we need to get this back on topic. So, unless you have something NEW to add to the TOPICS DISCUSSION, please do not post in this thread again. That way no more pointless flame wars will occur.

PS. To get back on topic: I think M:S is great, a step forward in the technological department, and the ride department as well; however, I sort of feel like Test Track is overrated. Its fun I guess, but there isnt a lot there to hold my interest. I can drive down the highway with my windows down at 65 to get the same "exciting" effect. That's just my opinion....

I loved Horizons, but it needed to go, it was very outdated. I love SE but it needs an update.

Well, I certainly don't appreciate being treated this way, and certainly don't appreciate my words being taken out of context in order to make me look bad. If you had quoted the rest of the sentence it would make more sense although I see now how that could have been misread.

And I did appologize for the bluntness of my earlier statement, but felt everything else was certainly in line and would appreciate someone explaining what has been so terrible about my comments so I might correct them instead of instantaeously being judged as some evil person.

The sentence in which "shut up" was taken from was me simply stating that people who complain about the old attractions being gone are told to be quiet and get over it because they are being rediculous, I WAS NOT telling anyone to shut up because I wouldn't do that.

So please tell what I did that was so terrible so I can correct it. Otherwise please just back off because I'm looking to discuss a topic and not get into fights with anyone.

Enderikari

dxwwf3 said:
I kind of have my doubts you would be saying that if Disney decided to tear out The American Adventure and replace it with a playground and McDonalds's Fries stand.

But, I don't believe that they would do that... Doesn't seem to be a proper business decision... But, if they do, we'll see

Crazy Harry

Enderikari said:
The reason my comments come off as "New is Always Better" is because I believe that, in some way shape or form, new is always better (see there, I won't make you say it.) That doesn't mean I don't miss attractions, that doesn't mean I like the fact that my fathers favorite attraction (Who Wants to Be A Millionaire: Play It!) is going away. It means that when something is new, it means things are changing... And change means people are scrutinizing what works and what doesn't, and have the chutzpah to change it.
Now a few of their decisions, you may not like... And some of your favorite attractions from yester year may have been on, or may still be on the chopping block. But, people who take personal offense at the removal of attractions, or certain elements of attractions, take those individual attractions way too seriously. They do not realize that the majority of guests want something different than a creepy guy with his hand in a dragon....
There is not a public outcry for the return of Horizons, because, most normal people do not care, nor remember the attraction.

I basically agree with everything you have said. I certainly like most of the new attractions that have come about lately and miss others. And although I don't like some of the disissions made, but from a certain point of view change is always good. I guess I didn't look at it that way before. If the new attraction doesn't work out, they will eventually change it hopefully anyway. And like you said earlier too, they do research in order to ensure what they are building will meet the desires of the majority of guests although HKDL is a good example of how that does not always work.

And although I miss certain rides, I do agree some people take it a little far.

I guess I agree that change is always good in the sense you described. And although some decisions could be considered bad, they still facilitate later change and hopefully an over all improvement in the parks. I still however believe in certain situations better changes could have been made, but that's just a personal opinion and not to be taken too seriously, or at least not so seriously that I get bombarded.

jedimaster1227

Crazy Harry said:
Well, I certainly don't appreciate being treated this way, and certainly don't appreciate my words being taken out of context in order to make me look bad. If you had quoted the rest of the sentence it would make more sense although I see now how that could have been misread.

And I did appologize for the bluntness of my earlier statement, but felt everything else was certainly in line and would appreciate someone explaining what has been so terrible about my comments so I might correct them instead of instantaeously being judged as some evil person.

The sentence in which "shut up" was taken from was me simply stating that people who complain about the old attractions being gone are told to be quiet and get over it because they are being rediculous, I WAS NOT telling anyone to shut up because I wouldn't do that.

So please tell what I did that was so terrible so I can correct it. Otherwise please just back off because I'm looking to discuss a topic and not get into fights with anyone.

Very true! Your words were taken out of context and used against you there.You were fully in line in everything you said.

Lets make sure that this thread doesn't get out of hand like *others* have :animwink:. I don't think Steve wants to get involved in another one of these.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom