"New Horizons" at Epcot

MJL

Original Poster
WOL I believe is finally down for the count.

What better way to have Epcot reborn than to bring back Horizons in the WOL space !!

Disney could call it "New Horizons" (reminiscent of the 1939 Worlds fair pavillion) and use the same story line as the old Horizons, just updated in technology.

Does anything think their is a more "missed" attraction at WDW than Horizons? I dont think so personally.

Bring back Epcot to its former glory. I understand the need for attractions that give people a quick fix/instant gratification like TT, Soarin, and MS. I have no problem with keep those in tact, but why not bring back a little bit of what inspired Epcot in the first place??? Right now the park has very little in the way of a theme .. the theme is all over the place. What is still "Future" about future world other than SSE and maybe the Land?

HoW

I think it's a nice dream, and I'd love to see Horizon's again, but, and this is just my opinion with no fact to back it up, I don't think we'll ever see Horizons again. I used to ride Horizons every chance I got as a child, I think my parents were actually happy when it came down because they didn't have me dragging them on it again and again. However, the last few years there was never a wait, it was always a walk on. As popular as Horizons is post-mortem, I think that once the initial surge of the attraction reopening died, so to would Horizions, again. I think rather than go through the whole roller-coaster ride of getting excited and then losing it again down the line, I'll cherish my memories and look forward to whatever comes over the Horizon next.

erasure fan1

I would like to see something NEW in the WOL spot. I agree horizons would be popular for a bit and would lose crowds over a short time. They would have to do a major overhaul, add some thrills, new ride technology... It would be to big of a risk I think for them to do it. I wouldnt mind it but I am not sure about the general public. Great thought though.:wave:

MJL

Original Poster
Good posts . ...

But I still think it could be pulled off. Why not add a small thrill to the ride, (like one little "drop" ala the Pirates of Carrib / Norway ride)? Nothing that would primarily appeal to thrill seekers, but just a little "kick" to add some spice. Doing this I believe would keep it a "family experience" that anyone could enjoy. The main point would be to inspire people to dream about the future, while offering a little "carrot" to those who arent the "thinking" types?

I think Disney has gone a little too far in appealing to the thrill seekers (which IS needed to some extent). Epcot could reinforce its theme in future world, add a little spice for those who arent "dreamers", thereby making this attraction appeal to most people (and not just one type of person).

LudwigVonDrake

Whatever replaces Wonders of Life will be "cutting edge" technology and Original from the Disney point of view (and maybe not from our point of view :animwink: Unfortunately, for those fans of Horizon, it's time has come and gone :(

JEDIsney

MJL said:
Does anything think their is a more "missed" attraction at WDW than Horizons? I dont think so personally.
I don't know about anyone else, but I miss World of Motion almost as much as I miss Horizons.

ctwhalerman

The problem with Horizons is that it would be hard-pressed to attract a sponsor. General Electric basically threw it away in 1993, and I doubt any company would come by to pick up GE's trash when they could instead build their own new attraction that would fit in with the company's personality. I would love to see the ride come back to Epcot, or at least the overall message and theme of the ride, but I think it's time is gone. That said, I would love to see the Carousel of Progress brought to Epcot, because it's basically Horizons in a theatre (or, technically, Horizons was COP as a ride).

Pongo

They closed it for a reason.

Ironic how people want a ride based on progress to be recreated because it has such a "great" message.

Yeah. That's progress, alright :rolleyes:

tnchefbear

I dont think EPCOT failed at its first try, but just like everything else, time and people change and WDW must give the general public something "new" to keep them coming back... I personally can remember many rides in both MK and EPCOT that I would love to see come back... Horizons being one of them... But I bet if we give the imagineers some time and ideas, they can come up with a new attraction that appeals to everyone... at least that is my hope along with world peace :)

haveyoumetmark

Pongo said:
They closed it for a reason.

Ironic how people want a ride based on progress to be recreated because it has such a "great" message.

Yeah. That's progress, alright :rolleyes:

They didn't want to close it, they needed to because:

» No longer sponsorship from GE
» Dated appearance
» Problems with the roof
» Sink hole under the buliding / structural problems with the building «
-from horizons1.com

yepp. They wanted to make an updated, more advanced Horizons at the planned "Westcot" Theme park for the Disneyland California Resort, but that didn't work out and it became Disney California Adventure, with no Horizons. They want to build another one, but I don't know if it'll be back at EPCOT. So it is a kind of realistic idea to some point.

Scar Junior

- Semantics... They closed it, it closed = same thing. I don't think we know whether or not they wanted to close it. And who 'they' are.

- I too find the situation ironic. But that's Epcot Old Schoolers for ya. No matter what is done, it's not as good as the original. Well, the same goes for a lot of things in life. Can't we just cherish our memories and move on?

- I enjoyed Old School Epcot's style of attractions... slow moving 10 minute ride with different scenes and and overarching message. I would fine with another one of these kinds of attractions being placed here. But I would not like it to be based on Horizons.

- I too liked WoM better than Horizons. I liked both. But both were failing.

-Old School Epcot is very similar to today's Epcot. It has progressed to better ride technology. Rides with messages and themes of progress. It is more efficient. It may not be as "futuristic" as the land's namesake... but I think they are far from being done. Who knows, they may change the land's name too.

Plutoboy

Project Gemini at one point was to include a renaming of Future World to Discoveryland.... which I believe Disney had trademarked for Florida. I agree that they are far from finished with EPCOT and while I would love to see Horizons, World of Motion and the original Journey back into play... I think from what I have seen and heard EPCOT is going to be in very good hands.

MJL

Original Poster
Connor002 said:
What former glory?
Epcot failed at it's first try.
Epcot's rebirth is the best thing that could have happened...

What like spending $200 million on Mission Space?? Are you going to tell me this was a success??

I think Epcot has come too far in departing from its original message ... if it means creating new experiences instead of rehashing old ones fine .. but keep the original goal - to educate, to entertain. And if they are gonna continue to call it Future World, make it Future World in theme....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom