New here, contemporary question

kevinscruising

Original Poster
Hi, I have not been to Disney in over 7 years. I have stayed at All Star movies before. This April we decided to take the Granddaughters to the Contemporary resort. We have a tower room facing the pool and bay. Is there anything I need to know or do to make this special for everyone ? I know about Chef Mickey. Very little about California grill. No idea what time fireworks start or if I can see anything from our balcony??
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Kevin

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Hi, I have not been to Disney in over 7 years. I have stayed at All Star movies before. This April we decided to take the Granddaughters to the Contemporary resort. We have a tower room facing the pool and bay. Is there anything I need to know or do to make this special for everyone ? I know about Chef Mickey. Very little about California grill. No idea what time fireworks start or if I can see anything from our balcony??
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Kevin
While you won't be able to see the MK fireworks from your balcony, you can watch the nightly Electrical Water Pageant from it. The EWP time is the same each night but Wishes can vary (check the calendar on this site).
Chef Mickeys and California Grill are both great, but very popular so make reservations as soon as possible.

If you can upgrade to park view you will be able to see the magic kingdom and watch the fireworks from your balcony. I don't know if this is in the budget for you, but it does heighten the experience. You can see the castle from your hotel room (and request a high floor).

Tinkerbell397

The Contemporary will not disappoint!!!! Staying in the tower is especially magical. Not sure how old your granddaughters are, but they will love it. When you get off the monorail you are inside the hotel and home. The Contemporary is my all time favorite...stayed there 6 times and it is the resort that I compare all others to. Your choice of a tower room is perfect. I have never heard the monorail go though while the door is closed but once you open your door, you can see and hear the monorail and the business of Chef Mickey....I love it! I also love being in a self contained hotel where there is no need to walk outside to access the lobby, shops and restaurants. The California Grill is a wonderful experience...make reservations ASAP. It is very $$$ but I think it is worth every penny. We always make the California Grill our last dinner of the trip.....dress up (I always wear a sun dress). It is not a casual, rushed dinner....plan to "dine" for at least 2 hours. It is considered one of the finer dining experiences in Disney. :cat:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For fireworks times go to info then calendar on the toolbar above and select MK and April 2014. It looks like Wishes is either 9PM or 10PM most nights in April. The castle projection show usually happens about 15 minutes before wishes. It's pretty cool and worth seeing live in MK. If you go to wishes CR is a short walk back from MK after the show. When the crowds are poor it out on the monorail and/or boats you can just walk back to CR leisurely. As far as viewing fireworks you can watch from CA grill if you are eating there. Other than that there is a decent view from the outside balcony area on the 4th floor of CR on the side opposite Chef Mickeys. It's a smoking area so if there are smokers you could also move over to the bridge connecting CR with Bay Lake Tower. It's not as good a view as CA Grill or Top of the World at Bay Lake Tower but it's decent. IMHO the extra cost for a MK view room isn't worth it. The lake views are actually quite beautiful and very relaxing and peaceful. As @Tuvalu mentioned you will be able to see the boat show each night too. It's a little quirky and dated, but it's classic WDW.

CR also has a large arcade which my kids loved and a nice pool area complete with waterslide and a lakefront sandy beach area. You can't actually swim in the lake, but it's nice and relaxing to lounge on a beach chair there anyway. If you are interested and have time they also have a full service marina with boat rentals, parasailing and fishing excursions.

If you haven't already booked Chef Mickey do it soon. It can be a tough reservation to get especially at busy times. CA grill is a little more high end, but still OK for kids. You are also a short monorail ride to both the Poly and Grand Floridian which both have lots of dining options. There is also a boat that leaves from the marina behind CR that will take you to either Wilderness Lodge or the Campground. The boat ride itself is scenic and relaxing and it opens up additional dining options without having to drive or hop on a bus. WL has a place called Whispering Canyon Cafe which has really good BBQ food (chicken, ribs, pulled pork...etc) as well as good milkshakes. It's very lively and the waitstaff is likely to play some jokes on you. If you go make sure you ask for ketchup and a refill on your drink. The campground area has Mickeys Backyard BBQ which is a combination dinner and interactive show featuring characters with a country/western theme. They bring kids (and some adults too) up to dance. It's a lot of fun for the kids and like Chef Mickeys a great way to get some face time with Mickey without waiting in line at the parks.

kevinscruising

Original Poster
Wow… great information so far ! My granddaughters are 9 and 8. Is the pool decent ? I keep reading things about soda mugs. At All Star, there was a food court to get some quick food and a not so bad price. Does the CR have anything that can compare to that? Also, we are not renting a car do just going to use the Monorail or bus service. Is there a way to buy some snacks and stuff for the room ?

Thanks
Kevin

Tinkerbell397

The Contemporary's quick service is called Contempo Cafe....bagels, pancakes, juice, coffee....typical quick breakfast fare. I am under the impression that the value resorts have more extensive and spacious QS restaurants since that is your only choice. You can also have a TS breakfast at The Wave in the CR. But as @GoofGoof wrote above....you are a monorail ride away from the Poly and The GF. They both has QS breakfast and TS breakfast.....The Kona Cafe in the Poly and The Grand Floridian Cafe in the GF. They are both wonderful. The WL has a QS (very small) Roaring Forks and TS breakfast at Whispering Canyons.....you grands might really enjoy that....very interactive. I would not recommend going to another resort for QS as they all have the same menu. But I would recommend going to another resort for TS.
I believe that the pool that the CR was just refurbished....maybe someone else can confirm.

Rapid refillable mugs allows Disney Resort guests to buy (or receive as part of the Disney Dining Plan) a resort mug that can be refilled for a certain period of time as designated at time of purchase. These mugs are enhanced by an RFID bar code that enables the mug to deactivate when the designated time is complete.

Mugs are good at any resort self-service location but not restaurants in the parks.

These mugs can be used for any non alcoholic beverage including tea and coffee.
They are included if you booked a package though Disney or AAA...check with your travel agent. Hope this helps.

ParentsOf4

Wow… great information so far ! My granddaughters are 9 and 8. Is the pool decent ? I keep reading things about soda mugs. At All Star, there was a food court to get some quick food and a not so bad price. Does the CR have anything that can compare to that? Also, we are not renting a car do just going to use the Monorail or bus service. Is there a way to buy some snacks and stuff for the room ?
Forgot to say, we were originally booked in the Garden Wing but thought better to upgrade to the Tower. This has been a dream of mine since I was a young boy. 50 years later and finally getting to cross this off the bucket list :)
A very exciting time for you! Your granddaughters are at a great age to visit WDW!

WDW has 3 levels of hotel: Deluxe, Moderate, and Value. All are on property. What you tend to pay for is level of service and ease of access to the parks.

For example, at the Deluxe Resorts, there are more WDW employees (called "Cast Members" or just CM on these threads) available to help you with check-in, etc.

Those visiting WDW tend to have 2 complaints: waiting in long lines and travel time between the hotel and one of theme parks. (WDW is 27,000 acres; it's really big.) The Deluxe Resorts tend to be close to one of WDW's theme parks and access to at least one theme park is easier.

The Contemporary, Polynesian, and Grand Floridian have direct access to the Magic Kingdom (MK) via Monorail. It's also possible to walk from the Contemporary to the MK. Easy access to MK is important because it's generally considered WDW's best theme park and likely where you will spend most of your time.

Via a connecting Monorail, you can access Epcot from these 3 resorts.

The 3 "Epcot Resorts", the Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Boardwalk, are within walking or boating distance of two theme parks: Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios (DHS). The Beach Club and Yacht Club both have access to what generally is considered WDW's best hotel pool: Stormalong Bay. All the Deluxe Resort pools are nice but Stormalong Bay is almost like a mini-water park.

There are 2 other Deluxe Resorts. Wilderness Lodge, which is a short bus ride to MK (also has a slower boat) and Animal Kingdom Lodge (AKL), which is a short bus ride to WDW's fourth theme park: Disney's Animal Kingdom (DAK). If your granddaughters love animals, then consider AKL. They'll be able to see zebras, giraffes, and other animals from their room!

Beyond the Deluxe Resorts, Disney offers 3 Moderate Resorts and 5 Value Resorts. The Moderate Resorts are lovely and priced less. However, they require taking buses to all 4 of WDW's theme parks.

In general, buses are the least efficient mode of transportation at WDW. In the morning when everyone is trying to get to the parks or evening when everyone is leaving, buses can be frustrating.

WDW''s Value Resorts are much less expensive, a great way to save money, but basically are motels with some very nice Disney theming. The pools are very basic. Again, Disney themed but (for example) no water slides.

In general, the food courts tend to be better at the Value and Moderate Resorts. At these resorts, this is where most people eat. All the Deluxe Resorts have food courts but these tend to be smaller. I guess Disney thinks if you are staying at a Deluxe Resort, then you're going to eat a lot of your meals at Table Service (TS) restaurants.

I've stayed in both the Garden Wing and in the Contemporary Tower. In my mind, there's no question that staying in the Tower is more exciting. Whether it's worth the added cost is a matter of opinion. But you are living a dream that you've been waiting 50 years for, I say go for it! :)

All the resorts have refillable mugs that you purchase at the start of your trip and then can refill for free after that. You can use your mug at the hotel only, not at the theme parks. Mugs can be fun but also a pain. If you head down to the food court to fill your mug and then leave directly to the theme parks, you are stuck carrying you mug for the rest of the day.

There are plenty of us on this website that have been to WDW dozens of times and are available to give you our honest opinion of what we think. (Sometimes dealing with Disney can be frustrating because when you ask them, everything is "wonderful".;))

I hope you enjoy planning your trip. Don't be afraid to ask more questions!

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As far as snacks for the room you have a few options depending on how much stuff you want/need. The Contempo Cafe sells some snack items like cookies, bags of chips and bottles of soda/juice. It's not open 24hrs but pretty long (maybe 6am to midnight). There is also a gift shop that sells more packaged items on the main concourse. If you want more variety and more items (much cheaper) you could also buy items from gardengrocer.com and have it delivered. They will deliver to the room or if you aren't in the room at the time they deliver to the resort and bell services will hold the food for you. I think the rooms have mini fridges in them so you can order things like drinks (including beer and wine) plus breakfast items. We used garden grocer on our last stay and it worked out well.

The monorail takes you to MK and EPCOT. For EPCOT you will need to get off at the first stop at TTC and transfer to the EPCOT line. You can also walk to MK. For AK, DHS, DTD and the waterparks you can take a bus. The bus stop is outside and to the right of the front entrance to CR. You will usually stop at one other resort on the way (Poly most likely) but you will be the first stop.

kevinscruising

Original Poster
Again great comments. Love the idea garden grocer , now that is something I am sure we will use. Refrigerators are small I am gathering. I need some medicine refrigerated but will manage the situation. Getting excited to go :)

luv

IMO, you have a nice view. I'd much rather see the trees and water than the parking lot, roads and the tops of Space Mountian and the castle! If you were hoping to watch fireworks from your balcony, that might be disappointing, but the fireworks are much better seen in the park, anyway. With the water view, you'll have the pleasure of seeing the EWP, too.

There are snacks to buy all over the place. Gift shops in the parks and hotels have packaged snacks. You can also get cupcakes, cookies, and other treats in many places. If you have room in your luggage, bring some. You can fill the space they took up with souvenirs when you leave. :)

The fridges are minibar size - dorm size. Always worked out fine for me. Pop, milk, OJ, cold cuts, cottage cheese, fruit. You can get a lot them if you're determined!

Someone here said that the Contemporary's Theme Park View is the most expensive parking lot view in the world, lol. I tend to agree. I think you picked a winner!

zurgandfriend

I can't add much to the info above, we love the Contemporary and have stayed there many times. We love the California Grill and dine there every trip, watching the fireworks from the roof is always great. Enjoy the restaurants and shops in the other monorail shops and restaurants as well.

DougK

Congratulations on your decision to stay at the Contemporary, you will love it! I personally enjoy the Bay Lake View you have booked more than the Theme Park View, while you do get to see the Castle and the MK from the Theme Park view side, the view of Bay Lake is wonderful also and a bit less expensive, though we know all of Disney's hotels are way more expensive than they should be! So enjoy your view!

kevinscruising

Original Poster
Thank you all again. Love the pictures! Great idea of packing some snacks. We are traveling in mid-April. I am guessing the park lines will be very crowded due to spring break. Has anyone traveled during that time and how was the lines?

Thanks
Kevin

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Thank you all again. Love the pictures! Great idea of packing some snacks. We are traveling in mid-April. I am guessing the park lines will be very crowded due to spring break. Has anyone traveled during that time and how was the lines?

Thanks
Kevin
The parks are always busy in the spring, with the week pre and post Easter being the worst. That said, spring breaks are different for all areas in the US so there will be varying crowds from the first week of March to the end of April. It will be NOTHING like the crazy crowds you may have read about this holiday week.

I have been in April numerous times and have a trip planned for the first week this year, so the crowds have not deterred me ;)

kevinscruising

Original Poster
Thats good to hear. We will be there Easter week so I know it will be somewhat crowded. I did get nervous about what I read this past week. Thanks for putting that at ease for me. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom