New Harry Potter Coaster Confirmed for 2019 (Dragon's Challenge Closing Sept 4th)

MagicJack78

This really does look amazing. My one big hope for this attraction is that they properly hide all the backstage views. That is something that Universal has never exactly strongly focused on, but it could make the difference of being a 10/10 experience or a 8 or 9/10 here. Though, since this is in the Wizarding World, I'm sure more care will be taken. I also hope that there are visual barriers between the sections of track run parallel to each other other. This helps add to the illusion of going on a journey rather than going around in circles.

As an example, Expedition Everest originally had thick walls of bamboo forest as barriers between the sections of track that are around the mountain structure. This meant that as you approached the second lift, you didn't see straight to the first lift and loading area and aided in the illusion of traveling somewhere. In 2012 they removed all of these bamboo trees and replaced them with shrubbery and it just isn't quite the same.

Agreed, this ride will be fantastic. I'm quite amazed how fast this ride has come together.

On a different topic, the addition of the shrubbery vs the bamboo trees at Expedition Everest has taken 0% away from that ride. That ride is awesome!!! However, that is my opinion.

Stripes

Premium Member
Yeah, I'm putting it out there...there's no way that cave is happening. Testing is gonna be starting in 2-3 months.

Also, wasn't Fluffy supposed to be hidden by rock work? At this point I'm wondering if Fluffy was cut. There's zero indication of a substantial AA. No electrical, no concrete preparation, and no rock work. Call me a skeptic, but yeah I'm skeptical.

Not that it would be a big loss. AAs for this are being done by Life Formations.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

Yeah, I'm putting it out there...there's no way that cave is happening. Testing is gonna be starting in 2-3 months.

Also, wasn't Fluffy supposed to be hidden by rock work? At this point I'm wondering if Fluffy was cut. There's zero indication of a substantial AA. No electrical, no concrete preparation, and no rock work. Call me a skeptic, but yeah I'm skeptical.

Not that it would be a big loss. AAs for this are being done by Life Formations.
The Fluffy AA is from Life Formations. They specialize in outdoor AAs.

Stripes

Premium Member
The Fluffy AA is from Life Formations. They specialize in outdoor AAs.
I wouldn't say they "specialize" in anything. They could be doing any of the outdoor figures. There will certainly be more than one. I also use "AA" lightly here, as I generally wouldn't consider them AAs. If I were to bet, I think there will be figures near the beginning, in the hut, above us just before the spike, and maybe one at the end.

If it's true that Fluffy will be partially concealed by rock work, we would be seeing some action already. Also, where's the electrical? Going back through all the aerials, there was nothing laid in that location.

Disneyhead'71

I wouldn't say they "specialize" in anything. They could be doing any of the outdoor figures. There will certainly be more than one. I also use "AA" lightly here, as I generally wouldn't consider them AAs. If I were to bet, I think there will be figures near the beginning, in the hut, above us just before the spike, and maybe one at the end.

If it's true that Fluffy will be partially concealed by rock work, we would be seeing some action already. Also, where's the electrical? Going back through all the aerials, there was nothing laid in that location.
Once again, you're assessment is incorrect.

Last edited:

BrianLo

One very small hope for this attraction that Universal can demonstrate they've turned over a new leaf in attraction design...

We don't need an attraction full of exposition: "oh noes", "watch out", "look at x" etc. Respect your audience.

Hagrid can certainly talk in a limited number of scenes, but we don't need the characters narrating every single animatronic and scene. Basically, I hate that running dialogue in the fan made video. Let us enjoy the attraction.

See Shanghai's Pirates for the right way to do narration and exposition - see Gringott's for the wrong way.

I also cringe at the thought Hagrid will be congratulating us. I do like the 'you weren't planning on leaving without me' bit.

At the very least this looks very fun and probably will be well dressed, but if they want a technically better attraction than Forbidden Journey, these are the type of design decisions that will tip the balance.

brb1006

One very small hope for this attraction that Universal can demonstrate they've turned over a new leaf in attraction design...

We don't need an attraction full of exposition: "oh noes", "watch out", "look at x" etc. Respect your audience.

Hagrid can certainly talk in a limited number of scenes, but we don't need the characters narrating every single animatronic and scene. Basically, I hate that running dialogue in the fan made video. Let us enjoy the attraction.

See Shanghai's Pirates for the right way to do narration and exposition - see Gringott's for the wrong way.

I also cringe at the thought Hagrid will be congratulating us. I do like the 'you weren't planning on leaving without me' bit.

At the very least this looks very fun and probably will be well dressed, but if they want a technically better attraction than Forbidden Journey, these are the type of design decisions that will tip the balance.
Bellatrix zapping and yelling at guests while Voldemort is just standing there was very awkward in Gringott's. At least the other Harry Potter ride in Islands of Adventure made sense where Harry yells at one of the monsters to "Leave his friends alone!" worked since he was referring to the riders.

Professortango1

What has Universal done lately? Fast & Furious? The water show that is now done? Usually, I can
have a good discussion with you Joe, this one doesn't make a lot of sense. Again, though since it
is the discussion we are in, I still think, when this new Harry Potter Coaster opens it will be great.

Can we really count Fast and the Furious? I love Universal, but Kong was a love it/hate it and they followed it up with Jimmy Fallon and a bad clone from USO. They've been missing more than hitting lately. They need to forget about simulators and screens for a little while.

GLaDOS

All the Orlando theme parks are doing a lot. None of them are slowing down, and we're entering some of the most exciting times ever for the area.

Enough of the ing contest. Sit back and enjoy, and allow other people to enjoy themselves, even if they like something you don't or you like something they don't. We're talking about theme parks here, nothing even close to important.

Stripes

Premium Member
Amusement ventures aimed at children designed to shill megacorporations' intellectual property are not important, no matter how much you and I enjoy them
latest

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom