New Harry Potter Coaster Confirmed for 2019 (Dragon's Challenge Closing Sept 4th)

Disneyhead'71

Yep. Personally, I've never understood why WWoHP is so often described as being perfect when there are countless thematic flaws and glaring story holes. Not to disparage it in any way, but it's far from perfect. Also, if you've ever been to the HP Studio tour in the UK, going back to Orlando Diagon feels like they cut corners on the theming, in some cases it's pretty dramatic.
No one that has ever tried to use the lockers at Forbidden Journey has ever said the WWOHP is perfect. But what is true is that it allows people to live the story in unparalleled depth. From arriving at Diagon Alley, to changing money at Gringott's, buying school supplies like a wand and house robes, and picking a pet, then riding the HE to Hogsmeade, and visiting Hogwarts. It is unlike anything else ever built in a theme park.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Where is there references to one being a muggle in Diagon Alley? In Hogsmeade you were typically supposed to be a visiting muggle. Universal thought people would not buy into themselves being wizards and were rather quickly proved to be very wrong.
Bellatrix calls you a "muggle-born" in Gringotts, which doesn't rule out being a Wizard, I suppose. I think the team members in Diagon Alley still refer to you as a muggle, though I may be wrong. In general, I think you are correct - you are a muggle in Hogsmeade and a Wizard in Diagon Alley, but this is still a pretty big discrepancy in storytelling. Forbidden Journey is the main reason for being a muggle in Hogsmeade. They could change it, but the ride's story doesn't work without it because why else would you be riding on an enchanted bench instead of a broom of your own?
Also, if you've ever been to the HP Studio tour in the UK, going back to Orlando Diagon feels like they cut corners on the theming, in some cases it's pretty dramatic.
How so? I was under the assumption that Diagon Alley looks better than the movie set version.

TwilightZone

I have visited only the London version and I was a bit disappointed because it looked tiny, especially compared to the Orlando version.
London Version?
Forgive me if I am wrong but there's California, Orlando, and maybe Japan versions, as far as I am aware, no London version.

ryguy

Does anyone know what the show scenes will be in regards to aspects of the books. For example what is the large building with the green buttress. And the drop track scene. I didn't read the books or see the movies so its all greek to me.

lazyboy97o

Bellatrix calls you a "muggle-born" in Gringotts, which doesn't rule out being a Wizard, I suppose. I think the team members in Diagon Alley still refer to you as a muggle, though I may be wrong. In general, I think you are correct - you are a muggle in Hogsmeade and a Wizard in Diagon Alley, but this is still a pretty big discrepancy in storytelling. Forbidden Journey is the main reason for being a muggle in Hogsmeade. They could change it, but the ride's story doesn't work without it because why else would you be riding on an enchanted bench instead of a broom of your own?

How so? I was under the assumption that Diagon Alley looks better than the movie set version.
Muggle-born wizards like Lily Potter and Hermoine Granger are considered impure to Voldemort.

I image the new coaster will also assume that riders are wizards. Universal was wrong about how guests would view themselves within the story and I think it’s good that they are aware that they were wrong. Forbidden Journey would probably not be hurt by removing the muggle references, as wizards are shown using a variety of transportation devices.

Stripes

Premium Member
Well, one's a movie set and the other is a theme park land. Naturally, the theme park land feels more complete. But, the level of detail in the movie set is so high, it feels like it's actually been used for thousands of years. Orlando attempts to pull it off, but falls flat in many areas particularly the shop facades from the entrance down to Gringotts. Again, this isn't to say they did a bad job, just that, in comparison, you can tell where they cut costs.

For example, here's a picture of Slug and Jiggers and Mr. Mullpepper's Apothecary from the set and street view from Orlando:
Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 8.31.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 8.28.50 AM.png

A few things of note: the windows in the set are aged and look like they've been around for a long, long time (notice how the glass is failing), in Orlando they look brand new. In the set, the level of detail in the deterioration of the buildings is much more pronounced from the doorways, to the second story, to underneath the window displays. It feels much more authentic and real, whereas Orlando feels artificial in comparison.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Well, one's a movie set and the other is a theme park land. Naturally, the theme park land feels more complete. But, the level of detail in the movie set is so high, it feels like it's actually been used for thousands of years. Orlando attempts to pull it off, but falls flat in many areas particularly the shop facades from the entrance down to Gringotts. Again, this isn't to say they did a bad job, just that, in comparison, you can tell where they cut costs.

For example, here's a picture of Slug and Jiggers and Mr. Mullpepper's Apothecary from the set and street view from Orlando:
View attachment 318743
View attachment 318744

A few things of note: the windows in the set are aged and look like they've been around for a long, long time (notice how the glass is failing), in Orlando they look brand new. In the set, the level of detail in the deterioration of the buildings is much more pronounced from the doorways, to the second story, to underneath the window displays. It feels much more authentic and real, whereas Orlando feels artificial in comparison.
The set doesn’t have to have a Florida Product Approval or be Accessible.

Rich Brownn

The concept of the Wizarding World being timeless is yet another reason to add to my list of why I don't think Gringotts is great. It's completely set in year seven, when the rest of both lands are kind of a mix of everything.

Another inconsistency: throughout Hogsmeade and Diagon, sometimes you play the role of an actual wizard, and other times you are a visiting muggle.
"The Wizarding World Is Timeless" (the official response when asked which book what area is set in).

danheaton

Wow. This looks incredible. I love the fact that Universal is mixing in so many launches, physical sets, and other interesting effects. At least based on what we know now, this should at least be up there with the other big Potter attractions.

Rob562

It might jsut be the angles playing tricks, but there's something that looks like a yellow arm coming out of a hole in the foundation that could be a moving armature for the Anglia. Counting arrows from the Ride Start, it's to the left of the 7th and 8th yellow arrows. The arm is at an angle, and the hole it goes into appears to be more of a short slot, allowing movement forward and back.

-Rob

Tom Morrow

This really does look amazing. My one big hope for this attraction is that they properly hide all the backstage views. That is something that Universal has never exactly strongly focused on, but it could make the difference of being a 10/10 experience or a 8 or 9/10 here. Though, since this is in the Wizarding World, I'm sure more care will be taken. I also hope that there are visual barriers between the sections of track run parallel to each other other. This helps add to the illusion of going on a journey rather than going around in circles.

As an example, Expedition Everest originally had thick walls of bamboo forest as barriers between the sections of track that are around the mountain structure. This meant that as you approached the second lift, you didn't see straight to the first lift and loading area and aided in the illusion of traveling somewhere. In 2012 they removed all of these bamboo trees and replaced them with shrubbery and it just isn't quite the same.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom