New Harry Potter Coaster Confirmed for 2019 (Dragon's Challenge Closing Sept 4th)

BrianLo

I'm not a big fan of Gringott's but it is a popular ride. If it was me designing it I would have gone another way. Doesn't matter what I think it's what the masses think which judging from the line it is a successful attraction. My main problem with the ride is the anticlimactic ending. Should have been one last run of excitement to get you out of there. On the other hand, it is a more Potter fan based ride and they do get to see all the main characters etc. Personally, I don't get excited about seeing a character from a movie to me they are just an extra thing. Not what the ride should be about.

BTW I like AK probably the most out of WDW but they just need to work on the dinosaur area and add another one or two good Avatar rides. That park is up to a full day park if you have never been there before.

Gringotts is the only attraction in easily one of, if not the best land in Orlando. So even if the public legitimately hated it, I'd still expect a line. I'd equate it to Mermaid, it's perfectly serviceable and people probably enjoy it, but if you actually do any sort of deep dive there are so many flaws that really are design/storytelling 101 elements. I am a big Potter fan though. So the character inclusion certainly isn't swaying me that much into liking it.

I think (and hope) this is the redemption attraction. Like I mentioned there is still the off chance for the usual short cuts or likely an inability to provide coherent pacing, but it's a roller coaster... so I'm definitely going to be more forgiving if it's more or less frantic and "close call scares" from beginning to end.

I'll actually go one step further and admit a water splash and wave goodbye like we achieved anything other than keeping our arms and legs in the vehicles would be... endearing.

OG Runner

Such a huge volume of space dedicated to what appears to be a whoosh whoosh generic thrill coaster, that half the people won't ride.

Are there any reports that it will have stop scenes or some interaction, storyline?

Welcome Darlene. (new member) Take time to go through the prior posts on this discussion. You will find this is going to be a very
immersive coaster with a great deal of interaction and a combination of a number of exceptional story elements to
make the coaster more immersive within the Harry Potter storyline.

Tom Morrow

Can someone find me the posts of insiders saying Fast sand Furious was going to be wildly different than Hollywood. I’m young so you can take your time.
I don't think I'll be able to find the posts, but I remember early buzzings of it being completely different and totally brand new, but I think that subsided quickly. For a while the rumor was that it would be more ambitious like Kong with several additional new scenes. I also remember the project getting delayed at some point and there was some speculation that they were re-working things.

matt9112

As far as intensity, this coaster will be about as intense as Everest. It has no loops and Everest's big drop is larger than any drop on this coaster. Here is a great video a friend did explaining the attraction. She has seen the blueprints too.

And with the track now complete we can actually see what this coaster does. I included this breakdown earlier in the tread, but I will repost it here.

Potter_Coaster_Breakdown.jpg

Yes.

how many trains are experiencing the devik snare at once?

OG Runner

Looking at the track layout, it should be a wild ride, going from the zero g roll back to the devil's snare appears to be a fair distance
going backwards. This is all looking good.

Bairstow

Not saying anyone's right or wrong, but "zero g roll" and "roll back" typically have very specific meanings when used in roller coaster context, neither of which will probably apply here. "Roll back" specifically refers to a type of malfunction where a launch fails to propel a coaster train with enough energy to properly crest its next hill.

OG Runner

Not saying anyone's right or wrong, but "zero g roll" and "roll back" typically have very specific meanings when used in roller coaster context, neither of which will probably apply here. "Roll back" specifically refers to a type of malfunction where a launch fails to propel a coaster train with enough energy to properly crest its next hill.

I was using the term from the photo on the last page noting a "zero g rollback". My understanding from other posts is that the
"vehicle" will go up to this section of the track, stop, and then go backwards. take a few small turns and end up in the devil's snare.

Disneyhead'71

It's called a zero g roll back because the train comes to a stop on a steep vertical incline, and then freefalls backwards. Unlike Everest where you come to a stop, and brakes hold the train before releasing it. Supposedly, the potter coaster won't have brakes on the incline to stop and hold the train resulting in the roll back having zero g effect.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's called a zero g roll back because the train comes to a stop on a steep vertical incline, and then freefalls backwards. Unlike Everest where you come to a stop, and brakes hold the train before releasing it. Supposedly, the potter coaster won't have brakes on the incline to stop and hold the train resulting in the roll back having zero g effect.

The physicist in me takes issue with that terminology. Unless you wind up truly vertical, and fall back vertically, that is not the scientific definition of 'zero G'. If you're on an incline, there is still a vertical vector 'holding' part of your 'weight' up the entirety of the time you coast up it, come to a stop, and start rolling backwards. Just imagine if the incline was very, very shallow and you're moving very very slowly, stop, and roll back very very slowly. No one would call that 'zero G'.

But I understand that the coaster jargon may take liberties with language...

Rob562

Not saying it's impossible, but I will be very surprised if the trains aren't held on the spike, either with physical brakes or some kind of LIM hold like an Intamin Impulse coaster.

If there was a longer stretch of track between the switch and the spike I'd say it's doable, but that stretch is pretty short. They wouldn't allow a train full of guests to be freely rolling forward and backward assuming that the track switch will move and lock in place fast enough every time. Yes, they'd likely have block brakes at the bottom of the spike to stop the train if the switch wasn't ready (like the brakes between the loop and the uphill on a Vekoma Boomerang), but then they'd need a way to get the train moving along again, so there'd be another set of LIMs.

Which brings up an additional possibility... With brakes on the horizontal section at the bottom of the spike, they could let the train roll through the open brakes, up the spike, stall out and freefall backwards to give the "oh wow" factor to unsuspecting riders, and then stop them on the brakes. (Perhaps with a timely "Arresto Momentum"?) From there they could launch backward once the switch is clear.

-Rob

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Not saying it's impossible, but I will be very surprised if the trains aren't held on the spike, either with physical brakes or some kind of LIM hold like an Intamin Impulse coaster.

If there was a longer stretch of track between the switch and the spike I'd say it's doable, but that stretch is pretty short. They wouldn't allow a train full of guests to be freely rolling forward and backward assuming that the track switch will move and lock in place fast enough every time. Yes, they'd likely have block brakes at the bottom of the spike to stop the train if the switch wasn't ready (like the brakes between the loop and the uphill on a Vekoma Boomerang), but then they'd need a way to get the train moving along again, so there'd be another set of LIMs.

Which brings up an additional possibility... With brakes on the horizontal section at the bottom of the spike, they could let the train roll through the open brakes, up the spike, stall out and freefall backwards to give the "oh wow" factor to unsuspecting riders, and then stop them on the brakes. (Perhaps with a timely "Arresto Momentum"?) From there they could launch backward once the switch is clear.

-Rob
If you look at the spike in Bioreconstruct's tweet you can see there are no LIM's on the spike. There are at the bottom but nothing up high. Maybe they will install them but it just does not look like it. Up and back and if something happens maybe the ones that launched you up might catch you on the way down.
Just up and fall back for a "zero g" feeling. Gee I wonder what might be at the top of the hill?

lazyboy97o

The easy way to pull off the switch without an obvious hold would be to slow down a little right after the switch, have the switch flip, and then shoot up the spike. This would give you the "Wow" of the continuous reverse but without the real issue of trying to synchronize with a free moving object that would vary with each vehicle based on its weight and then potentially having to catch that vehicle too.

raven

The track spike currently doesn’t have any other structural elements to it that would hold a break or LIM. There’s a small pipe running up the under side of it (sensors?) but that’s it.

Rob562

The track spike currently doesn’t have any other structural elements to it that would hold a break or LIM. There’s a small pipe running up the under side of it (sensors?) but that’s it.

And that lack of LIMs or brakes was really confusing me. I hadn't seen the LIMs at the bottom before now (and honestly a hold on the flat portion hadn't occurred to me until I was typing my reply last night). Now I guess the question just remains whether the stop will be before the spike or after it.

If it's before, those LIMs can do double-duty, launching the train both forward into the spike, and then accelerating it faster as the train rolls back through.

-Rob

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom