New Harry Potter Coaster Confirmed for 2019 (Dragon's Challenge Closing Sept 4th)

Stripes

No. I see the SW rides like you see the Potter coaster. They're gonna be great. But I don't see any reason to get overly excited about them.
Well, to make it short, one is the largest dark ride in theme park history, and the other is the very first ride/video game hybrid, utilizing 8 state-of-the-art GPUs per ride vehicle to produce an interactive experience like no other on Earth.

This is what I'm looking forward to.

GLaDOS

Well, to make it short, one is the largest dark ride in theme park history, and the other is the very first ride/video game hybrid, utilizing 8 state-of-the-art GPUs per ride vehicle to produce an interactive experience like no other on Earth.

This is what I'm looking forward to.

"Longest dark ride in theme park history" doesn't mean it's good. Universe of Energy was 45 minutes long and it sucked for 30 something years. I think Battle Escape will be very, very good. I also think people are already setting themselves up for disappointment with it.

And first ride/video game hybrid doesn't mean it will definitely be either a *good* ride or *good* video game.

I think you're really into things being "groundbreaking" or "first ever" or "biggest/longest". Which fine, that's cool. But none of those things guarantee something being any *good*.

EDIT: I do want to make it clear I think Battle Escape will be very, very good. Disney is good at putting together slower moving dark rides. Even Ratatouille, which is largely mediocre, has enough wow moments to make it a good ride. I hope BE turns out to be as good as some Disney fanboys think it will be. Would love a ride from Disney to get even close to the insane pre-release hype it gets, or the hype it gets from the indentured blogger community.

I do not have high hopes for the Falcon. I think it's going to bite off more than it can chew, and end up not being all that fun at all.

Last edited:

Stripes

"Longest dark ride in theme park history" doesn't mean it's good. Universe of Energy was 45 minutes long and it sucked for 30 something years. I think Battle Escape will be very, very good. I also think people are already setting themselves up for disappointment with it.

And first ride/video game hybrid doesn't mean it will definitely be either a *good* ride or *good* video game.

I think you're really into things being "groundbreaking" or "first ever" or "biggest/longest". Which fine, that's cool. But none of those things guarantee something being any *good*.
To be clear, I said largest, not longest. This isn't going to be a slow ride that drags like UoE did.

I would say I like rides that are impressive. Rides that make my mouth drop, and wonder "How is this real?"

I don't like to make comparisons. I have opinions on what I think will be great and what won't. But many others do like to make comparisons, so I offer my opinions in return. A debate doesn't have to be hostile, unfortunately it often becomes one when debating something so dear to all of us.

GLaDOS

To be clear, I said largest, not longest. This isn't going to be a slow ride that drags like UoE did.

I would say I like rides that are impressive. Rides that make my mouth drop, and wonder "How is this real?"

I don't like to make comparisons. I have opinions on what I think will be great and what won't. But many others do like to make comparisons, so I offer my opinions in return. A debate doesn't have to be hostile, unfortunately it often becomes one when debating something so dear to all of us.

Just want to point out I edited my post above to be clear where I stand on the SW rides. But I just don't get the "How is this real?" reaction, personally, anymore. I've ridden too much stuff, especially stuff that was hyped to me for years before finding it to be lacking, to get it. Maybe I'm jaded, but as long as a ride is baseline fun, I'm happy with it.

Stripes

Just want to point out I edited my post above to be clear where I stand on the SW rides. But I just don't get the "How is this real?" reaction, personally, anymore. I've ridden too much stuff, especially stuff that was hyped to me for years before finding it to be lacking, to get it. Maybe I'm jaded, but as long as a ride is baseline fun, I'm happy with it.
Okay! That's where we diverge, and that's totally fine! Glad we started getting along a little better, and I can much better understand your mindset now that we have a better idea of each other's preferences!

JoeCamel

That is where I was with FoP. I did it twice and thought "good use of simulator tech" but I was not blown away by it nor will it cause me to buy another ticket to AK. Thanks, been there, seen that. I can wait 5+years to see what they did in SW land. Not compelled to visit.
I also had the thought "maybe I have done too many simulators as this does not live up to the hype".

Tom Morrow

Oh nothing is wrong with them! In fact I take pity on them. They're going to be in a world of disappointment when this thing opens.

Troll? Ahh, you got me! As a UOAP holder, I just love seeing my hard-earned money spent on something so mediocre :rolleyes:
I've been heavily critical of UOR on here lately and even I think this looks great. The only way they could screw this up is if they perhaps don't hide backstage views enough. I could see the pre-existing artificial wall leftover from Dragons ruining some of the immersion unless they give it a better paint job.

Andy Whitfield

What’s the IU site ppl refer to. I would like a look.
This is shaping up to looking like it has the potential to be an amazing experience. Hope they pull this off after the recent mega disappointments of Fast and furious and Fallon.
I think they are potentially going to end up with the best coaster in Orlando with this ride.

Stripes

I've been heavily critical of UOR on here lately and even I think this looks great. The only way they could screw this up is if they perhaps don't hide backstage views enough. I could see the pre-existing artificial wall leftover from Dragons ruining some of the immersion unless they give it a better paint job.
I don't think that'll be a problem at all. I do think there will be several problems though, my biggest concern regards the treatment of the actual track. It seems to me like Universal didn't really know what they wanted to do here. In some areas, they will be theming the track, while in others leaving it completely bare. It seems very inconsistent, and as a perfectionist it messes with me. When developing a product, you should embrace every characteristic it has. Take Slinky Dog, Disney embraces the fact that it's a coaster. They left the steel bare, and embraced that fact as part of the story. On Big Thunder, the whole track is themed to a railroad going through Tumbleweed. Imagine if halfway through Big Thunder the railroad track became bare roller coaster steel, complete with supports. It would take you out of the experience. In this sense, Hulk is an even more thematically correct coaster, because it knows what it is, and doesn't pretend to be anything else.

JoeCamel

What’s the IU site ppl refer to. I would like a look.
This is shaping up to looking like it has the potential to be an amazing experience. Hope they pull this off after the recent mega disappointments of Fast and furious and Fallon.
I think they are potentially going to end up with the best coaster in Orlando with this ride.
Inside Universal

lazyboy97o

The site has quite a bit of elevation changes and is mostly a good bit lower than the surrounding areas, which should really help with sight lines. The stall is probably the area with the biggest potential to see too much, but I think it looks taller than it is right now.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

I don't think that'll be a problem at all. I do think there will be several problems though, my biggest concern regards the treatment of the actual track. It seems to me like Universal didn't really know what they wanted to do here. In some areas, they will be theming the track, while in others leaving it completely bare. It seems very inconsistent, and as a perfectionist it messes with me. When developing a product, you should embrace every characteristic it has. Take Slinky Dog, Disney embraces the fact that it's a coaster. They left the steel bare, and embraced that fact as part of the story. On Big Thunder, the whole track is themed to a railroad going through Tumbleweed. Imagine if halfway through Big Thunder the railroad track became bare roller coaster steel, complete with supports. It would take you out of the experience. In this sense, Hulk is an even more thematically correct coaster, because it knows what it is, and doesn't pretend to be anything else.
Seriously, at any time on BTMRR are you not fully aware that you are on a roller coaster in an amusement park?

Stripes

Seriously, at any time on BTMRR are you not fully aware that you are on a roller coaster in an amusement park?
It's called story. If everything was taken literally my how boring the world would be. When you watch a movie, are you just thinking: "All these people are just pretending for the camera."

Besides, embracing the design is a fundamental principle of design in every industry. It's literally rule number one. Why do you think people on these boards care so much about where a new ride goes? Because they don't want a Buzz Lightyear ride showing up in Frontierland.

Disneyhead'71

It's called story. If everything was taken literally my how boring the world would be. When you watch a movie, are you just thinking: "All these people are just pretending for the camera."

Besides, embracing the design is a fundamental principle of design in every industry. It's literally rule number one. Why do you think people on these boards care so much about where a new ride goes? Because they don't want a Buzz Lightyear ride showing up in Frontierland.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. The suspension of disbelief. I'm am fully aware when I'm on BTMRR that I am on a roller coaster in a theme park. And I don't care. As a matter of fact that's what I paid for. So whether the track is fully hidden or not doesn't really matter to me. A themed coaster to me has to have enough eye candy to set the scene and be fun and exciting. That is entirely different than having Wall.E hosting The Jungle Cruise or pop sci-fi aliens in a nature park. Thematic consistency is entirely different than immersion. And immersion (Man, I hate that word) can go way too far. If BTMRR went to the nines in immersion it would look like this.

Primero__Colorado_coal_mine_train_2.jpg

GLaDOS

And the story of this ride is that you’re riding on a flying motorcycle. Until they develop track cloaking technology, you’re gonna see some track

Stripes

That's exactly what I'm talking about. The suspension of disbelief. I'm am fully aware when I'm on BTMRR that I am on a roller coaster in a theme park. And I don't care. As a matter of fact that's what I paid for. So whether the track is fully hidden or not doesn't really matter to me. A themed coaster to me has to have enough eye candy to set the scene and be fun and exciting. That is entirely different than having Wall.E hosting The Jungle Cruise or pop sci-fi aliens in a nature park. Thematic consistency is entirely different than immersion. And immersion (Man, I hate that word) can go way too far. If BTMRR went to the nines in immersion it would look like this.

Primero__Colorado_coal_mine_train_2.jpg
From a theme park perspective, yes they are viewed differently. But as a designer and a heavy follower of the design industry, thematic consistency and immersion are part of the same design principle, with thematic consistency being a pillar of immersion. It's about fully believing and embracing a design or an idea. For example, there are many buildings of the 20th century that went all out creating an elaborate exterior with neoclassical motifs, but walk inside and you couldn't tell it apart from an open-floor office building. They are considered eyesores for good reason. They're the pinnacle of hypocrisy. Getting even deeper into biology this time, the human mind is wired to notice things that don't belong, no matter how much is right. It's a characteristic of our nature that saves our lives regularly. In a theme park, the degree of immersion is how well it tells the story, and thematic consistency is therefore a vital part of immersion. Similar to virtually every theme park attraction, Big Thunder's story is fictional and fantasy. Tumbleweed, USA has never been a real place. Therefore, the ride isn't attempting to recreate the American Southwest during the 1800s, but instead realize the idealistic vision of the wild west. Back to the Potter coaster, just like all other themed coasters, the context of the ride is to tell a story, and skimping on thematic consistency damages its ability achieve its primary objective. For all the reasons above, I feel theming some bits and not others will only draw attention to the bare bits, and consequently their flaws.

Stripes

And the story of this ride is that you’re riding on a flying motorcycle. Until they develop track cloaking technology, you’re gonna see some track
...or they could take it inside. The brilliance of controlled lighting continues to be underappreciated.

After all..."Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Disneyhead'71

From a theme park perspective, yes they are viewed differently. But as a designer and a heavy follower of the design industry, thematic consistency and immersion are part of the same design principle, with thematic consistency being a pillar of immersion. It's about fully believing and embracing a design or an idea. For example, there are many buildings of the 20th century that went all out creating an elaborate exterior with neoclassical motifs, but walk inside and you couldn't tell it apart from an open-floor office building. They are considered eyesores for good reason. They're the pinnacle of hypocrisy. Getting even deeper into biology this time, the human mind is wired to notice things that don't belong, no matter how much is right. It's a characteristic of our nature that saves our lives regularly. In a theme park, the degree of immersion is how well it tells the story, and thematic consistency is therefore a vital part of immersion. Similar to virtually every theme park attraction, Big Thunder's story is fictional and fantasy. Tumbleweed, USA has never been a real place. Therefore, the ride isn't attempting to recreate the American Southwest during the 1800s, but instead realize the idealistic vision of the wild west. Back to the Potter coaster, just like all other themed coasters, the context of the ride is to tell a story, and skimping on thematic consistency damages its ability achieve its primary objective. For all the reasons above, I feel theming some bits and not others will only draw attention to the bare bits, and consequently their flaws.
And yet you are much more looking forward to the Tron coaster that shoots outside and around a courtyard?

a_380491479.jpg

Nice job hiding the track and supports there. Maybe it should have been an inside coaster. Oh wait?

I guess if you are going to have a standard, you might as well make it a double.

Stripes

And yet you are much more looking forward to the Tron coaster that shoots outside and around a courtyard?

a_380491479.jpg

I guess if you are going to have a standard, you might as well make it a double.
Tron isn't thematically inconsistent as the canopy section is referred to as the Upload Conduit, and the steel is meant to resemble computer cabling. It fits perfectly with the story.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom