News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

lazyboy97o

I apologize if anyone already suggested this but since we know the vendor is Doppelmayr, is there any chance it could be a cable liner? From their website it looks possible and it would resemble a monorail look.
CONT.jpg

https://www.dcc.at/
Zero chance. Even if you don't believe anyone here, such a system doesn't work with the public records.

jaklgreen

I think you're thinking of the Contemporary. WL doesn't have any escalators that I've seen...

No, I was just saying in general that he does not do well on escalators that have free air around them like at the mall. The one to the monorail at the Contemporary is fine for him. Also, the Wilderness lodge comment is about how the main hallway around the lobby is open all the way up. So walking that hallway knowing that it is open freaks him out.

jaklgreen

No buses on the same routes, that would defeat the purpose of the investment, as others have stated earlier.

There's no securing it. But, I'm sure there will be cast members to help direct it to board. There's no transfer either, just ride on.

There is no way that they will do away with the buses those resorts. There will be plenty of people that will not ride the gondola, fear of heights probably being the main reason. Also depending on how big one of the gondola buckets are, I can see them banning ECV's from them and having them ride the bus. They would take up more space, increase the weight of the bucket and lets face it, most people are renting these things for the first time and really struggle with them in enclosed spaces. I am not bashing ECV users or the need for them. Just seeing it as there are so many things that can go wrong.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
There is no way that they will do away with the buses those resorts. There will be plenty of people that will not ride the gondola, fear of heights probably being the main reason. Also depending on how big one of the gondola buckets are, I can see them banning ECV's from them and having them ride the bus. They would take up more space, increase the weight of the bucket and lets face it, most people are renting these things for the first time and really struggle with them in enclosed spaces. I am not bashing ECV users or the need for them. Just seeing it as there are so many things that can go wrong.

This will replace busses to the serviced destinations.

mmascari

You would need to dig back through all the pages to find the insider posts. But, I'm sure it was said that buses from those hotels to the same resorts as the gondolas will be eliminated. That's the entire point of the project, to provide a more efficient higher capacity transit from those resorts and at the same time eliminate traffic from the roads.

The gondola's will easily hold 1 ECV or 1 wheelchair. Maybe even 2 wheelchairs depending on size. Same for strollers, easily 2 small strollers, maybe just 1 of the huge double jogger models. No folding, roll right on.

Just look at some of the videos above or the Doppelmayr website at the 10 or 15 passenger cars. I think it was said they would be 10 passenger cars, but don't quote me on that (it's in the prior pages somewhere). A 10 passenger car is 2 benches, front and back for 5 people each, with space in the middle between them. Plenty easy to fit strollers, ECV, wheelchairs in that space. If they can flip up a bench on one side, that creates even more space, at the reduction in seating. Of course, that person has a seat already and doesn't need the bench.

If you want to talk about space utilization per car, then you also have to talk about how they'll likely load them for normal operation and at busy times. At a non busy time, I can see them just putting one guest group in each car. Just 4 people in your group, you get a car, plus empty space. With 8 people, you get a car and less empty space. At a busy time, 2 groups of 4 have to share car, or 2 groups of 5, or a 4 and 6 group. That group of 8 might still get it's own car, unless there is a group of 2 relatively near the front of the line. Or, they never merge groups even in busy times. It's packing problem, and there will be empty space that's underutilized. If groups of 8, 4, and 8 show up in that order, they're not going to make the group of 4 split up to fill 2 with each of the 8 cars, that's just poor customer service to force a group to break up across cars that are larger than the group size.

lazyboy97o

Gondolas are accessible. :banghead:

JoeCamel

But... but... what if I have a broken leg in a straight cast, and I'm riding an ECV with my leg out to the side and my crutches sticking straight up on the back...?

Well, if that's the case you won't be able to get on a bus either. Maybe time to rethink that Disney trip until you get better. ;)

No reason to put off spending money at the mouse, we will have some Japanese subway pushers to get you loaded on. Com'on down and don't forget your wallet :hilarious::joyfull:

MaximumEd

A bit off topic, but I don't know where else to ask this. At what point does WDW reach saturation with the buses with their current infrastructure? At some point, adding more buses and putting more traffic on the roads no longer nets moving more people per hour. Are they close to hitting that number now? Would one or two more resorts put them over the top? Are the gondolas a way of getting out ahead of that? I'm just asking random questions here that cross my mind, but understanding how they make a place the size of WDW work has always fascinated me.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
A bit off topic, but I don't know where else to ask this. At what point does WDW reach saturation with the busses with their current infrastructure? At some point, adding more busses and putting more traffic on the roads no longer nets moving more people per hour. Are they close to hitting that number now? Would one or two more resorts put them over the top? Are the gondolas a way of getting out ahead of that? I'm just asking random questions here that cross my mind, but understanding how they make a place the size of WDW work has always fascinated me.

The gondolas should definitely help with this. The three resorts it will service account for 7000 rooms which is almost 1/4 of the rooms on property.

MaximumEd

I'm looking forward to this. Getting back to Pop after a long day in the park during the peak season on a bus seems to be getting worse every trip for us. This spring break was terrible.

Kamikaze

A bit off topic, but I don't know where else to ask this. At what point does WDW reach saturation with the buses with their current infrastructure? At some point, adding more buses and putting more traffic on the roads no longer nets moving more people per hour. Are they close to hitting that number now? Would one or two more resorts put them over the top? Are the gondolas a way of getting out ahead of that? I'm just asking random questions here that cross my mind, but understanding how they make a place the size of WDW work has always fascinated me.

They are doing projects to try and keep bus flow more efficient, but they are a long, long way from a saturation point where they can't add more buses. A bigger problem is finding drivers for those buses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom