• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner

Goofyernmost

Well, to me the yuckiness of the Speedway in MK has a much worse impact on the park experience than the tiny sliver of Epcot that the Skyliner passes over, but I took your comment as a critique on the gondola as a transport system in total.
I don't think you will find a child, experiencing his/her first attempt to drive a car like dad and mom speaking out about how yucky the Speedway is. Let the kids have something can't you? And unless you got to WDW on the wings of an angel, please don't regale us with the evil of polluting our world.

Last edited:

joelkfla

Advertisement
Just because D-Line is capable of 7 m/s doesn't mean the Skyliner is. In fact no Doppelmayr customer has bought one that goes faster than 6.5 m/s to date. The vast majority go between 5 and 6 m/s maximum just like what we've seen the Skyliner going.
I was about to say something like that. The technology is capable of faster speeds, but the system may not have been designed for them. I would think that to run at higher speeds, there would need to be longer stations with more accelerating and decelerating tires geared differently to comfortably slow down the cabins to loading speed and speed them back up to line speed.

Last edited:

joelkfla

I saw something interesting today. I took a ride on my ecv along the BVD sidewalk to view the Epcot line east of Speedway. It seems to me that the towers are further apart on this segment and there's more slack in the rope. When they stopped the rope a couple of times, the cabins bounced straight up and down for maybe 15 seconds! It looked they were moving at least 2 or 3 feet vertically at first. I can see where this could be quite frightening to riders who are not too comfortable with the system to start with.

larryz

Can't 'Member Anything
Premium Member
I saw something interesting today. I took a ride on my ecv along the BVD sidewalk to view the Epcot line east of Speedway. It seems to me that the towers are further apart on this segment and there's more slack in the rope. When they stopped the rope a couple of times, the cabins bounced straight up and down for maybe 15 seconds! It looked they were moving at least 2 or 3 feet vertically at first. I can see where this could be quite frightening to riders who are not too comfortable with the system to start with.
They can adjust the bullwheels to pull out some of the slack.

Patcheslee

Was the Epcot line fully loaded yet? It will have less slack once it is.

Incomudro

But the gondola's are coming in low and we haven't seen the backstage view of France from the perspective of the gondola's yet.
I'm curious to know how much will actually be seen given the trees and the new construction around Rat.

Incomudro

I believe once Rat is done the back stage area will become on stage area and there will also be a Creperie restaurant.
Yes, and I don't think the vantage point from the Gondola's is high enough to give us rooftop views - certainly not like we see in the aerial shots.

Last edited:

ParksAndPixels

the old Magic Kingdom Skyway had terrible backstage views of unadorned rooftops and all...No one ever complained. THis is a mode of transportation...I think any backstage views will be fine...
In all fairness, this site didn’t exist back then. I hate seeing backstage junk when I’m in any park, it kills the environment. Disney or otherwise. I wasn’t a fan of what became visible over fantasyland from the skyway actually

Top Bottom