News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
According to Doppelmayr and as has been posted several times the top speed of the D-line is 7 m/s which is 15.65 mph not 17. And as we know now the Skyliner system is currently running at 5 m/s.

That may be advertised max speed for ordinary ops, but during the initial week of testing with gondolas, they were clocked going faster than 17 mph.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Wait, so this won't be like riding the subway in NYC at rush hour, or a Metro in Paris, or a Japanese train? Sardines won't be laughing at those piling into the gondolas? What foolishness is this??

NormC

That may be advertised max speed for ordinary ops, but during the initial week of testing with gondolas, they were clocked going faster than 17 mph.
Really, even faster than 17? So in testing they went beyond their advertised specifications? I guess it is possible for short bursts to test something like a fail-safe mechanism. My point still stands max speed is 7 m/s according to the manufacturer. So top speed is 15.65 MPH.

Last edited:

Lensman

Really, even faster than 17? So in testing they went beyond their advertised specifications? I guess it is possible for short bursts to test something like a fail-safe mechanism. My point still stands max speed is 7 m/s according to the manufacturer. So top speed is 15.65 MPH.
I wonder what limits the advertised top speed to 15.65 mph? Also, where is that 7 meters per second coming from? This page says 6 meters per second.
Time and again, the gondola lift demonstrates its many benefits through barrier-free access which means that strollers, wheelchairs or alternative winter sports equipment can be transported without any problem. The detachable grip technology perfected by Doppelmayr/Garaventa enables the carriers to separate from the haul rope in the stations, ensuring particularly comfortable loading and unloading for passengers. On the line, gondolas reach speeds of up to 6 m/s.

Maybe this represents improvement and they've upped the max speed to 8 meters per second now?

Or maybe it's like rocket engines, where you hear launch control say "Engines at 108%"?

The reason for that, btw, is that engines sometimes improve in capability from launch to launch without changing model numbers, but they always quote the percentage based on the original spec.

NormC

I wonder what limits the advertised top speed to 15.65 mph? Also, where is that 7 meters per second coming from? This page says 6 meters per second.
The page I linked clearly states 7 m/s.

Key features at a glance
  • 205 new developments, 31 innovations, 14 patents
  • Speeds of up to 7 m/s
  • 6.4 m gauge – wider carriers
  • Optimal accessibility for service work
  • Extremely straightforward maintenance

Lensman

The page I linked clearly states 7 m/s.
Ah yes, I see. I found the page you were quoting by going back several posts to your original one. I couldn't find it earlier. I wasn't doubting you or anything. I was honestly looking for the correct page. Apologies if I offended you by asking. Sorry! I'll try to do better next time! Please don't hold this against me in the future!

Thanks!

Anyway, back to topic (sort of). I wonder how accurately the people measuring the speed of the line are? Maybe the difference between 15.65 and 17 is within the error margins of the way they measured the speed? How was that done?

Or I guess Doppelmayr may have made incremental improvements to do the D-Line and just haven't updated their page.

Or 7 meters per second is a rounded figure and they mean 7.6 meters per second, which is 17 mph.

Or 7 meters per second *and* 17 mph are both rounded and they mean 7.4 meters per second, which is 16.55 miles per hour.

Or it doesn't really matter! Lol

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Ah yes, I see. I found the page you were quoting by going back several posts to your original one. I couldn't find it earlier. I wasn't doubting you or anything. I was honestly looking for the correct page. Apologies if I offended you by asking. Sorry! I'll try to do better next time! Please don't hold this against me in the future!

Thanks!

Anyway, back to topic (sort of). I wonder how accurately the people measuring the speed of the line are? Maybe the difference between 15.65 and 17 is within the error margins of the way they measured the speed? How was that done?

Or I guess Doppelmayr may have made incremental improvements to do the D-Line and just haven't updated their page.

Or 7 meters per second is a rounded figure and they mean 7.6 meters per second, which is 17 mph.

Or 7 meters per second *and* 17 mph are both rounded and they mean 7.4 meters per second, which is 16.55 miles per hour.

Or it doesn't really matter! Lol
Well, remember that Europeans use 220v 50Hz, and so their measurements may be as much as 17% off...

Rteetz

From Bioreconstruct

DF56AF6B-A7E6-4A7C-8E15-C159B99B593E.jpeg
BA709B85-8A32-4071-9E7D-F2CE63606029.jpeg
C3E4C494-6304-4170-B93D-8546CAECD170.jpeg
DD4B35F0-CCCD-4C37-9F07-09A2A6BD551F.jpeg

trainplane3

CGI promo for Riviera at 3:30 video shows photo realistic Riviera station with gondolas moving. It’s only a couple of seconds but looks really cool to me.

Uh...I don't think gondolas work like that...

They got the arms flipped around on both gondolas so you get model clipping as it goes past the tower. Odd how of all things to mess up, no one went "oh we have model clipping for our promo". Then again, it's a small detail that only 2 people will notice.

Nubs70

Uh...I don't think gondolas work like that...
View attachment 369468

They got the arms flipped around on both gondolas so you get model clipping as it goes past the tower. Odd how of all things to mess up, no one went "oh we have model clipping for our promo". Then again, it's a small detail that only 2 people will notice.
How are you going to cook anyone with the open are on those louvres?

Dreamer76

Hi All! Was just in Walt Disney World this past week and have video taken Tuesday the 30th. They were running the system to Epcot (just wire, no gondola) First two video were at Epcot Internationally gateway at around 10:30am and then third video at Riviera Resort at around 11:20am same day. Running the line to Epcot. Can someone share with me how to upload them. Every time I try and upload it says the following: "The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension."

flynnibus

Premium Member
Hi All! Was just in Walt Disney World this past week and have video taking Tuesday the 30th. They were running the system to Epcot (just wire, no gondola) First two video were at Epcot Internationally gateway at around 10:30am and then third video at Riviera Resort at around 11:20am same day. Running the line to Epcot. Can someone share with me how to upload them. Every time I try and upload it says the following: "The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension."
YouTube and link to it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom