News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

BrerJon

I have, several times, and loved every minute of it because I was on vacation and not at work.:)

I always walk between the two, it takes no time for me, but I can see why comparing it to the equidistant walks from hotel to park in Paris or Hong Kong (most of the time) isn't a fair comparison.

For many people, the Orlando sun and humidity means the walk will feel much more tiring, and that long time outside the AC means someone is likely to arrive at DHS much more sweaty and gross than walking from a DLP hotel in the cool breeze.

Also Americans are on average a lot bigger than most Europeans, so the walk is going to be less pleasurable due to their poor fitness. Then when you add in families with complaining kids and overloaded strollers... the Epcot to DHS walk is a lovely one, but there are many, many people for whom it isn't suitable and any extra alternative modes of transport would be very welcome.

doctornick

Anyone care to elaborate on why Animal Kingdom is still SOL for mass transportation (besides the busses) ?

Is it that far out of the way? The usual cost reasons?

Anyone?

Regardless of why, there has been a lot of smoke recently that some sort of additional transport is being planned for DAK. I feel like different insiders have hinted at that, though further in the future than this Skyway system. If it is in fact in the works, i'd be curious if it is just something that would like AKL and DAK or if BB and/or Coronado (and beyond) might be involved.

No Name

That's pretty cool! Where did you find that?

Sorry for the late reply, but it's a hanging version of the Personal Rapid Transit system proposed for Abu Dhabi. If you search "prt system" you can find the picture. It never came to fruition, though they do have a non-hanging trackless version, which is really cool. They hope to expand it throughout more of the city.

There are lots of cool videos online of prt systems.

raymusiccity

How about a shuttle bus taking Epcot resorts blvd back and forth to Studios?
View attachment 191049

Perfect solution to the shuttle bus, shuttle boat to Animal Kingdom!!

IMG_1470.JPG

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Regardless of why, there has been a lot of smoke recently that some sort of additional transport is being planned for DAK. I feel like different insiders have hinted at that, though further in the future than this Skyway system. If it is in fact in the works, i'd be curious if it is just something that would like AKL and DAK or if BB and/or Coronado (and beyond) might be involved.

Maybe we can ride the zebras!

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Although I did make a joke about the permits, that was a coincidence. The large batch of permits hit on the 14th, and they were signed on the 12th, but the gondola story really didn't grow legs until the 15th.
You guys must have pieced enough of this together on the 14th, because I shared your hypotheses with my brother's family that night at dinner - and they were hanging on my every word.

You guys make me look brilliant to my family. Many thanks.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
Interesting how the week after this rumor hit, Disney increases their daily express transportation rate. Could this system be an extension of the express transportation that disney has recently started?

lazyboy97o

Interesting how the week after this rumor hit, Disney increases their daily express transportation rate. Could this system be an extension of the express transportation that disney has recently started?
It would not be very express, as it does not directly connect any parks.

Cesar R M

Between the two, I'm not sure why anyone would ever think another link is needed.Europeans and Asians must die laughing when they see a gondola route that's going to run for less than 2 miles across flat terrain (and in reality, run less than a mile between destinations). I'd bet most of them walk that far to the market every day. ;) The walk from the value resorts or Val d'Europe at DL Paris is around a mile too, as is the walk from Hollywood in Hong Kong. All 3 are super nice walks, and although they have alternative transport- walking is the way to go. I'm all for the gondolas and such, but it's a really pleasant 15-20 minute walk of about a mile or so between EPCOT and DHS, so I'm glad that's not the real reason this system is being considered.
until your feet are full of sores after walking after 7 days of continuous parks ;)

Cesar R M

has anyone seen this, floating horizontal gondolas proposal for Mexico city article from 2015.

http://www.sciencealert.com/floatin...he-solution-to-mexico-city-s-traffic-problems

and here is an article of the segment of gondola transportation that opened last year

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/28/world/americas/mexico-city-mexicable.html?_r=0
Yeah.. unfortunately.. bad comparison... Rampant corruption made some funny histories and you get the "view" of one of the worst areas of mexico city.

(ps.. they even removed the "grass" installed for the inauguration with the president). The gondola also has failed quite a few times (total power loss in a few cases)

DisneyDaver

Between the two, I'm not sure why anyone would ever think another link is needed.Europeans and Asians must die laughing when they see a gondola route that's going to run for less than 2 miles across flat terrain (and in reality, run less than a mile between destinations). I'd bet most of them walk that far to the market every day. ;) The walk from the value resorts or Val d'Europe at DL Paris is around a mile too, as is the walk from Hollywood in Hong Kong. All 3 are super nice walks, and although they have alternative transport- walking is the way to go. I'm all for the gondolas and such, but it's a really pleasant 15-20 minute walk of about a mile or so between EPCOT and DHS, so I'm glad that's not the real reason this system is being considered.

I thought I was the only one who enjoyed the walk between EPCOT and DHS ... happy to see that is not the case!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom