News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Berret

In the Parks
No
Ow.

Reminds me of when you see the wait time listed as 5 minutes and you rush down the line only to slam into a 40 minute wait at the end.

Someone explain to me why folk are coming down the ski lift? Usually the point (in winter) is to go up and ski down.

Because the main engine failed and the ski lift went into an uncontrolled rollback and the emergency brakes didn't stop it. I know your question is probably lighthearted or maybe a bit sarcastic, but that's a serious thing that happened. People could've died if thrown far or hard enough. There's a similar YouTube video that shows a rollback test(among others) in Winter Park, Colorado, using rocks. It's pretty terrifying to watch that part. It's a very interesting video though, shows you what can happen when things go wrong.

Disone

Go ride Mickey's Wheel of Death at Pixar Pier to get the Cat4 gondola experience.
Buckets of death? Oh yeah, been there done that! Who knew the most thrilling ride at the Disneyland Resort was going to be the ferris wheel. Hey with any degree of luck Walt Disney World will have its newest e-ticket, the Skyliner :)

Lift Blog

They were coming down backwards. That side is normally the up side but with the mechanisms failing, all the weight on that side caused it to go backwards.

No mechanisms failed. Humans lacking proper knowledge and training disabled multiple safety systems designed to prevent a rollback from happening. The ski resort took full responsibility for its mistakes.

Disone

No mechanisms failed. Humans lacking proper knowledge and training disabled multiple safety systems designed to prevent a rollback from happening. The ski resort took full responsibility for its mistakes.
That must be why it seems to end with someone going over and pushing a button and suddenly you hear the lift wind down. It doesn't Screech to a halt seems to slow down and come to a controlled stop. I'm guessing this may be over simplified but someone panicked and forgot to hit the panic button which could have prevented the entire incident.

Rteetz

From Bioreconstruct

20F7D97A-5F88-4E02-973A-6684358219BB.jpeg
2CFE94A0-36FD-4433-A4DB-69322BBA9A74.jpeg
B30F7686-AADA-4C23-B63C-C7483A02490E.jpeg

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Yes, but it will pull people who would normally have used bus transportation, perhaps bringing a little relief, but more likely just increasing capacity given the resorts they are building. The problem with these is that they aren't going to run them in an electrical storm. Given daily thunder/lightening especially in spring/summer, they are going to be down a lot I guess.

Buses are the premiere option for transport. Not because they are comfortable or luxurious (they are not). They are just instantly scalable to get extra transportation where it is needed quickly.
There was an article posted in the gondola wait times thread that stated the following (it’s about the system they were proposing in St Petersburg, but, I think the weather limitations wouldn't be terribly different than Orlando):

“St. Petersburg transportation director Evan Mory said the city worked with LeClair and his real estate company Echelon on the grant application. Mory said the city used years of research LeClair had done on gondola technology, which all points to a feasible transportation system in the Florida climate.

"It's not a danger for lightning strikes or any of the wind you'd receive in a normal storm," Mory said. "It would start swinging and become uncomfortable before it would become dangerous. Just like the highway patrol makes a decision when to close the (Sunshine Skyway) bridge in certain wind situations, there'd be a decision to close down that system."”

So, my interpretation is that it’s not likely a problem for your typical afternoon storms, probably only your much less frequent severe thunderstorms.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom