News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
4309FDDC-2C7A-4B6C-B336-AD4B1445D60F.jpeg

Missing20K

Does anyone know if this is legit ?
View attachment 298205

This monstrosity of gray steel is just about what I expected. I like the idea, I like new transportation options, I even like the choice of system.

I don't like the "choice" of "theming", or lack thereof. Not saying it's going to ruin someone's vacation (but I bet front desk has to deal with this "issue" at least a few times a year), but it just seems so far below the bar Disney has set for itself. Am I the only person on these boards that think this is bad show?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm told the Speedway gas station by the Boardwalk will be closed tonight (and possibly tomorrow night). The speculation is that this is to start running gondola cables.

I think it's way to early for that. The Riviera, Boardwalk and IG stations don't even have their cable hardware installed yet. The recent aerials showed a lot of drainage materials staged in that area, the closing is more likely related to that. It may also be to install some towers.

1532456124861.png

Goofyernmost

This monstrosity of gray steel is just about what I expected. I like the idea, I like new transportation options, I even like the choice of system.

I don't like the "choice" of "theming", or lack thereof. Not saying it's going to ruin someone's vacation (but I bet front desk has to deal with this "issue" at least a few times a year), but it just seems so far below the bar Disney has set for itself. Am I the only person on these boards that think this is bad show?

1532456337635.jpeg

So you are saying that Walt had no ability to tell the difference between "bad show" or theming and physical necessities, but, you do? Every once in a while should try and incorporate realities with what it takes to create a show.

Missing20K

View attachment 298295
So you are saying that Walt had no ability to tell the difference between "bad show" or theming and physical necessities, but, you do? Every once in a while should try and incorporate realities with what it takes to create a show.

You're comparing the original skyway built in the 50's to a 2018 Doppelmayr Gondola. Not exactly apples to apples.

I will defer to @Lift Blog post from earlier showing what is possible given some imagination.
Doppelmayr is currently building this themed gondola for an amusement park in Moscow. So it is possible.
img_5618.jpg

Leave it to the ruskys to show Disney how it's done.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You're comparing the original skyway built in the 50's to a 2018 Doppelmayr Gondola. Not exactly apples to apples.

I will defer to @Lift Blog post from earlier showing what is possible given some imagination.

Leave it to the ruskys to show Disney how it's done.

They're certainly not leading the world in Photoshopping...

1532461508322.png

Missing20K

They're certainly not leading the world in Photoshopping...

View attachment 298317

Oh it's an absolutely horrendous rendering. Won't hear any argument from me on that. But it bears no weight in the argument if as @Lift Blog says it is actually being built. So it is possible to have towers that are just "plain Jane" (uh oh, is that un PC nowadays?).

Also....
vinpearl-gondola-lifts-systen-cable-car-towers-connects-hon-tre-island-nha-trang-nha-trang-coastal-city-64506862.jpg

and...

csm_ATW-Halong_320x750_6fda148df9.jpg

and...

Doppelmayr_Macau_Inhaltsbild.jpg

Even slap a coat of white paint on them. But again....impossibly small first world Disney problems.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom