News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Kamikaze

I was very excited about this project initially. The "artists" rendering of the actual vehicles turned me off. They looked incredibly tacky. Does anyone know if Disney is likely to keep that cheap look? I'd ike to say they look dated but I cant remember an era where they would have been sleek by old Disney standards. The station renderings look nice however.

I also foresee a transportation fee.

If we could stop looking at transport as anything except transport, it would help all aspects of such projects. Its a conveyance to get from A to B efficiently. It shouldn't have to a certain way.

As far as a transportation fee, I can't see it. Disney's goal is to get you on property without a car so you can't leave the bubble easily. If they charge for transport, people will rent more cars, which means more people going off property for food, dining, entertainment, etc. Or taking an Uber or Lyft or a cab. That is the opposite of what Disney wants. Charging more for rooms on the Skyliner, sure, I can see that. But a straight pay $x per day for Disney Transport? I can't see it.

Goofyernmost

If we could stop looking at transport as anything except transport, it would help all aspects of such projects. Its a conveyance to get from A to B efficiently. It shouldn't have to a certain way.

As far as a transportation fee, I can't see it. Disney's goal is to get you on property without a car so you can't leave the bubble easily. If they charge for transport, people will rent more cars, which means more people going off property for food, dining, entertainment, etc. Or taking an Uber or Lyft or a cab. That is the opposite of what Disney wants. Charging more for rooms on the Skyliner, sure, I can see that. But a straight pay $x per day for Disney Transport? I can't see it.
It just seems to me that people are staying up nights working hard of finding reasons why this isn't a good thing, not just for the Guest, but, also for the environment. I guess I will just wait and see what happens when it actually does become operational, because until then we are all just talking through our butts. Must be awful to only think about far fetched negative things all the time.

As for me, it has no affect at all. I don't stay onsite, I always have a car, I see them only as something interesting to ride just for the fun of it and are certainly not more exposed then the original Skyway, which was carnival like and exposed so much of backstage, were open and had a percentage of brain dead Guests throwing things down on the crowd below. All of that would curdle ones blood, if it wasn't something that was a Walt Disney original.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
still not super sure why they didnt make that corner station between epcot and riviera a 3 way instead and go direct down to dhs from there rather than doing the weird zig zag making a longer travel time between epcot and dhs

The gondolas aren't designed primarily as a route between DHS and Epcot. They're a route between 4 resorts and DHS/Epcot. Therefore the Hub is in the middle to increase capacity.

WEDwaydatamover

I never said that I'm against the project or that It was cheap in cost. I said that the clip art renderings of the gondolas looked cheap and dated. I guess dated was the wrong word.

Unoriginal or unimaginative or not timeless should have been more appropriate.

Again, going by the renderings. Which are possibly the worst I've ever seen for a Disney (scrambling)... Anything!

The ride cabins. Not the load/unload areas.

Those are tasteful.

I would imagine if Disney were preparing for the next 50 years that they would blow the roof off the gondola. It will have wi-fi so there we go until 2026 when wi-fi is the last scene of Carousel of Progress.

Pile on!

Last edited:

imarc

Has Disney released any details about how the routes will work? If I'm going from Animation to Epcot, do I have to change gondolas twice (at the Caribbean Beach station and Riviera Beach station), or are there 4 lines going into the main Caribbean Beach station with Epcot and Riviera Beach running parallel), or some other arrangement like one where you have express gondolas and resort gondolas on the same line but switched at transfer stations.

Lensman

Has Disney released any details about how the routes will work? If I'm going from Animation to Epcot, do I have to change gondolas twice (at the Caribbean Beach station and Riviera Beach station), or are there 4 lines going into the main Caribbean Beach station with Epcot and Riviera Beach running parallel), or some other arrangement like one where you have express gondolas and resort gondolas on the same line but switched at transfer stations.
Think of the Riviera station as a mid-station like the one on the Park City Quicksilver gondola. The cars will detach from the line, slow for unloading/loading, then reattach to the line for the second half of the journey. Through passengers can stay onboard.

As someone said upthread, it looks possible that Disney may have contracted for a second boarding area for possible fully static loading/unloading at the terminal stations. No one is yet sure of the topology of how this might be implemented at the mid-station at Riviera. It's possible that they might not need to have this for the Riviera station or they might have some kind of "siding"

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

Three lines..

Pop/aoa to cbr
Cbr to dhs
Cbr to riviera to epcot ig.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member

A lot of the negative people on this site said that the Disney Magical Express would also be charging a fee very soon and it is still include with any stay at a Walt Disney World Resort.

DisneyCane

Think of the Riviera station as a mid-station like the one on the Park City Quicksilver gondola. The cars will detach from the line, slow for unloading/loading, then reattach to the line for the second half of the journey. Through passengers can stay onboard.

As someone said upthread, it looks possible that Disney may have contracted for a second boarding area for possible fully static loading/unloading at the terminal stations. No one is yet sure of the topology of how this might be implemented at the mid-station at Riviera. It's possible that they might not need to have this for the Riviera station or they might have some kind of "siding"

It's kind of hard to see but on the right side of this picture (Eagle Bahn Gondola at Vail), there is a "siding" that is used to prepare cargo and trash Gondola's. They pull them off the main line and they are static until they are ready to put them back on the main line. This exact same setup could be used for static handicapped loading/unloading.

topstation3.jpg

SLUSHIE

I wasn't sure if this was really the case, but with those new aerial photos, it's pretty clear that the CBR station is a bit longer than the Studios one. The CBR station is very clearly the drive station though, and I would expect that the be the case for all 3 lines.

That's a lot of dang tires.

LovePop

I want to summarize my concerns about the gondola at Pop Century here:

1. Without AC, it will be too hot. I only go to WDW in the summer, and it's always 95 by the afternoon, and I always travel back to the hotel in the afternoon to rest before heading back. But even in the morning, it is still rather hot being crammed in a bubble with 8 people all creating body heat and nothing but vents for cooling. The buses, in comparison, has powerful air conditioning.
2. The gondola will take too long from Pop to go to the 2 parks, I'm guessing about 15 minutes to HS and 22 minutes to Epcot, counting the transfer at Caribbean Beach and the stop at Rivera. (5 minutes each section, 5 minutes transfer, 2 minute stop at Rivera.) The buses currently take only 10 minutes.
3. The transfer is too crowded. The transfer station at Caribbean beach will be servicing 3 large hotels going to 2 parks all together. That's 6 bus stops full worth of people. Say if I want to go from Caribbean beach to HS, I will being joining the line not just from people from my own hotel but two others all come pouring into my gondola station. Normally, CB's different buildings have separate bus stops. Now they have to all walk or take their internal bus to get to the gondola station, fight the mob from Pop and AofA, and finally get to HS. That will take a lot longer than the bus. The Rivera won't have the problem going to Epcot, but they still need to transfer for HS. The gondola may reduce wait time, or it may extend it, depending on how fast it can load and unload.
4. Pop will raise the price to help pay for the gondola.

I can, of course, move to All Stars, but Pop has been my favorite resort for years, and it is such a shame that I can't stay there because of the gondola. Some people ask why worry about it now, when the gondola is still a year away? Because I have to plan my vacation a year ahead, so I need to decide soon if I want to change to All Stars.

Of course, one can hope that the gondola won't be that hot, and it won't take that long, and the transfer won't be too crowded, and the prices won't hike, and the overall experience will be an improvement over the buses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom