News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

nickys

Premium Member
He knows the current plan to expand on property transit.

And it's not from DHS.

Is this the AK link you've hinted at before?

There must be something in the water. First he thanks you for information, now he's acknowledging you're "informed". Whatever next? ;)

TrojanUSC

So what you are saying is the gondolas won’t smell since they don’t have AC;)

The closest comparison at a Disney park would be the semi-enclosed gondolas at Mickey's Fun Wheel in Disney California Adventure. They don't smell at all.

The seats are fiberglass and easily dry without damage. There aren't many surfaces susceptible to moisture damage.

On the monorail you have leather seats and (this may have changed lately) carpet behind the benches on the far side of the cabin which almost certainly contribute.

Creathir

So what you are saying is the gondolas won’t smell since they don’t have AC;)
Along these lines, do we honestly expect the experience from the gondolas to be any different than the monorail?

I for one have not personally experienced the conditions others have reported with the smells/cleanliness on the monorail, though I will say on our last trip a few weeks ago the 3 year old from another guest was sitting in her stroller and proceeded to dump apple slices and popcorn all over my feet while I was standing there, which left quite a mess for the next guests.

The same cleaning agents will be used on the gondolas. The same oily people will be riding them. The same hot humid air will be ever present within them.

The gondolas will have spills, barf, diapers changed, and the concotanty of other human filth that grazes public transportation systems. The same bleach and disinfectants will be used to kill said filth, and your 2 minute ride to EPCOT will be lamented with the same issues as are experienced on the monorail today.

I would NOT expect anything different, and frankly, I don’t really care. It will get us from our hotel to the parks, and I can bring along our hand sanitizer in our backpack and move on with my life once I reach my destination.

WDWVolFan

Am I the only one that thinks this "transportation mode" is just stupid?
It will be slow, it won't ease other types of traffic.
It will have long lines.
It will be a time killer.
It will break and leave people stuck for hours.

Creathir

It will have long lines.
No, I too have my doubts regarding it.

As they say, time will tell.

WDWVolFan

No, I too have my doubts regarding it.

As they say, time will tell.
PEople will get stuck.
People will sue saying they were in distress for staying up there for hours in the Florida heat in July and now they can never go to Sugarloaf Mountain in Brazil because they are traumatized. FFS

peter11435

It will have long lines.
It won't be slow. The time spent on the gondola itself will be shorter than the time spent on a bus for the same route. It will have higher capacity than the current buses. Lines may exist but will move faster than the average wait for a bus.

Last edited:

GCTales

image.png
PEople will get stuck.
People will sue saying they were in distress for staying up there for hours in the Florida heat in July and now they can never go to Sugarloaf Mountain in Brazil because they are traumatized. FFS

Are we back on page 10?

This is a tested transportation method that has worked successfully in other parts of the world...

<sigh>

Here we go.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The closest comparison at a Disney park would be the semi-enclosed gondolas at Mickey's Fun Wheel in Disney California Adventure. They don't smell at all.
That's because the Mickey's Fun Wheel of Death cabins are not completely enclosed -- the top half is open grating, which is a good thing, since I saw lots of evidence of prior protein spills on the wheel beams and cross members.
maxresdefault.jpg

Protein spills in a plexiglas-enclosed cabin, even with floor-to-ceiling ventilation, will be much more... up close and personal.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
It will have long lines.

It will be about the same speed as the boats from Epcot to DHS, so about 15 - 20 minutes. Time to and from Carribean Beach and Riviera will be even less. It will help with traffic since it will take buses off the roads.

They are shooting for a pretty high capacity so most of the time there should be big lines. There may be lines at the peak times, but even then the lines will move continuously unlike for busses and boats.

Won't be any more of a time killer then other forms of transportation.

These systems have multiple redundancies, so there very few scenarios where they wouldn't be able to get people back to a station.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom