News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Pretty sure I never claimed it would take a fleet of busses on call. Just creative scheduling and a plan b.
In the event of extended unplanned down time at the Gondolas I am sure they will provide busses temporarily just like the monorail. There will not be a fleet of busses on standby waiting in case there's a short stoppage. I would expect the busses to be used very infrequently.

Kamikaze

Not in that context. They have busses on stand by for the monorail but that doesn't mean they aren't in use. I could have chosen better words granted.

They aren't on standby, even for the monorail. What they do is take the buses off other routes and use them for the monorail resorts. That isn't standing by, its just being reassigned. Which is what they would do for the Skyliner in the event of a long downtime (which won't happen often).

montyz81

And the bus stop is at the front of EPCOT so no matter how many buses they use you have to walk from international gateway to the front of the park to catch a bus. Unless they direct guests to walk to BW or BC/YC which would be lovely for the guests there.
Perhaps they could re institute a standby tram to come pick them up there and take them to the bus stop.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Perhaps they could re institute a standby tram to come pick them up there and take them to the bus stop.
Maybe. That would work at DHS. For EPCOT it would have to go backstage though. There isn't a public road near the International Gate except for the tunnel under the waterway that connects BW and BC but that's not easily accessible. They could divert guests to BC which is probably the closest bus area.

Movielover

Guys you are making this waaaaaaaay more complicated than it needs to be. It's really quite simple.
In the event that the Gondolas are down...

1st you board a tram at the Epcot station and ride to the Boardwalk, then walk through the lobby...

upload_2017-9-19_13-42-53.jpeg

2nd After walking through the building you board a bus...

upload_2017-9-19_13-47-18.png

3rd and proceed to take a "lightning quick" drive to Epcot's bus station to be whisked away to continue your magical day!

upload_2017-9-19_13-51-46.jpeg

I mean come on guys it's soooooo obvious!

;)

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-19_13-47-35.jpeg
    upload_2017-9-19_13-47-35.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 74

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
Guys you are making this waaaaaaaay more complicated than it needs to be. It's really quite simple.
In the event that the Gondolas are down...

1st you board a tram at the Epcot station and ride to the Boardwalk, then walk through the lobby...

View attachment 231374

2nd After walking through the building you board a bus...

View attachment 231375

3rd and proceed to take a "lightning quick" drive to Epcot's bus station to be whisked away to continue your magical day!

View attachment 231377

I mean come on guys it's soooooo obvious!

;)

But will the tram have air conditioning???? (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

peter11435

Sorry I am so behind on asking this question, I've been trying to catch up on this thread for a while. I was wondering if there were anymore sightline obstructions other than that one pole?

Thanks for the pictures!
Nothing yet, but that pole is construction equipment and will not remain. The work it is doing will be underground. So it is not an indicator of sight line intrusions from this project.

Goofyernmost

So they are even safer than planes.
They are more likely to be struck.
The cables and the cable towers are designed as lightening rods of sorts. They are grounded and will be a landing point on occasion for lightening strikes. The gondolas themselves are mostly plastic and insulated from the cables and towers by design. The odds of them getting hit by lightening are pretty much the same as the odds for an individual being hit by lightening. Happens, but, not very often. Think of it like a downed power line you can walk right along side a live high power wire and not have any reaction at all. Touch that wire while your feet are on the ground and you will light up like an aluminum Christmas tree. How do you think birds are able to land on exposed high voltage wires and not get fried? It's because they are not grounded. The current goes into the ground. It isn't attracted by an object it is attracted to the ground.
Squirrels walk across high voltage lines and nothing happens until they have their back paws on the wire and their front paws hit the grounded pole. Poof... Squirrel Jerky!

Last edited:

freediverdude

Had they extended the gondola's to something like this, it may have worked:

View attachment 230911

My thought is that the gondolas going over Epcot at that point wouldn't be too obtrusive, excepting for the junk yards behind each of the WS pavilions, and that would place people at the entrance and near the Monorail station for transport on to the MK.

That's what I was thinking too, it would be so easy to add one more station near the monorail station, and then you would have 3 parks connected via non-bus transportation. Maybe Disney doesn't want to encourage people trying to get to MK in that way though.

lazyboy97o

That's what I was thinking too, it would be so easy to add one more station near the monorail station, and then you would have 3 parks connected via non-bus transportation. Maybe Disney doesn't want to encourage people trying to get to MK in that way though.
Gondola - [Gondola] - Monorail - Monorail just seems annoying.

nickys

Premium Member

The gondolas aren't primarily for park to park access, they're a resort to park transport system. Creating a third 'area' of resorts, like the Monorail resorts and the Epcot resorts. So you have AoA, POP, CBR and Riviera. A mixture of the current categories of resort but grouped as 'Gondola Resorts'. No doubt with a price increase, hence the Queen beds in the new POP rooms, to blur the boundaries of what are currently value, moderate and deluxe (in this case DVC).

Sure people will use them from Epcot to DHS but the've been designed such that it will be easier to take the boat or walk.

freediverdude

Well it would make it easier to get to the monorail resorts for meals too, not just park to park. All these resort areas would finally be linked. And if you were coming from CB or Riviera it could only be gondola-monorail-monorail if the international gateway is just a stop like Riviera. And it could provide a way for monorail resort people to get from the back of the park to the monorail station without walking all the way from the American pavilion to the front of Epcot, which is a long hoof. I can't really think of any downsides other than maybe more people using it to get all the way to MK than they would like.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom