News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

JohnD

IMG_8265.JPG
IMG_8266.JPG
311 pages in. This card was in my room. Has it already been shown?

Brad Bishop

Problem with that is Epcot's Monorail extension was opened in 1982, eight years before Yacht/Beach Club, Swolphin and the International Gateway entrance...

Hindsight is always 2020, but at the opening of Epcot, there was only one entrance - so the natural place for the monorail was right at the entrance.

Had they extended the gondola's to something like this, it may have worked:

Google_Earth_Pro.png

My thought is that the gondolas going over Epcot at that point wouldn't be too obtrusive, excepting for the junk yards behind each of the WS pavilions, and that would place people at the entrance and near the Monorail station for transport on to the MK.

Brad Bishop

The folks that say that the reason gondolas work at ski areas because skiers are experienced at getting on and off with bulky equipment fail to note that they were all inexperienced first-timers at some point. Things seem to have worked out just fine on the slopes. I think they'll work out fine here as well.

I think so, too. The key is that they bunch together at the stations and slow down at the same time. It's like how the Peoplemover works. I don't see people having any problems getting on/off them.

DisneyCane

The difference between the gondolas and airplanes are is that gondolas are grounded all the time, airplanes are not.

So they are even safer than planes.

They are more likely to be struck.

Planes aren't any less safe because they are designed to allow lightning to flow through the fuselage. Gondola cabs are NOT more likely to be struck than a plane. Since the towers are attached to the ground and the metal cables that support the cabs are in constant contact with the towers lightning is, by a very large margin, more likely to strike the cable or the tower and not flow to through the cab.

Ski resorts have gondolas on top of mountains all over the world. Do you hear many stories of gondola cabs being damaged by lightning?

If the gondola cabs are likely to be struck by lightning then why aren't the monorails? I don't think the gondolas will be that much higher up(and lightning striking the highest point is a myth anyway).

GCTales

What is all this worry about the gondolas being down? The only reason for them to be down is very high winds but how often does that condition exist for more than a couple of minutes in a severe thunderstorm? As far as lightning, I don't see the issue. Planes are designed to be struck by lightening, I'm sure gondolas can be also just by making them out of metal. Lightning that strikes the ground looks for the shortest route to the ground. It will strike the towers or the cable and go to the ground. It won't go into the cabs and fry the passengers. Maybe I missed it but I don't think I've ever heard of lightning killing somebody in a monorail. There won't be much difference from a physics standpoint with the gondolas.

Not sure if you are responding to me specifically, or just hit reply to my post because you have not read the past few pages...

I was responding to a poster who stated that they must have busses on standby and the general claim they will have to continue bus service because the gondolas won't run in a thunderstorm.

Specifically, I (and others after my post) were pointing out that the gondolas would likely be closed for a storm for less time than it takes to walk to the front of the park and wait for a bus to get you (if they immediately sent a bus).

In general, saying it is a non issue.

jt04

Not sure if you are responding to me specifically, or just hit reply to my post because you have not read the past few pages...

I was responding to a poster who stated that they must have busses on standby and the general claim they will have to continue bus service because the gondolas won't run in a thunderstorm.

Specifically, I (and others after my post) were pointing out that the gondolas would likely be closed for a storm for less time than it takes to walk to the front of the park and wait for a bus to get you (if they immediately sent a bus).

In general, saying it is a non issue.

Pretty sure guests won't walk to/from Epcot during a thunderstorm.

GCTales

Pretty sure guests won't walk to/from Epcot during a thunderstorm.
Well, according to some posters- Disney has to maintain a fleet of busses on standby so those people can ride the bus when the gondolas are closed down for a storm.....

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It wouldn't take a "fleet", just contingency plans. Which they already utilize as a back up for the monorails.
And the bus stop is at the front of EPCOT so no matter how many buses they use you have to walk from international gateway to the front of the park to catch a bus. Unless they direct guests to walk to BW or BC/YC which would be lovely for the guests there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom