News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

orky8

I agree- but that's a decent sized support for just a simple gondola turn. And the vehicles would be much smaller than HE that it'd simply make the turn on the cables without an issue.

My friend who knows more about these things than I do sent me this:
7469072696_1bf8ccc6ec_z.jpg

And said "The metal track is the key. Ignore the brick work. This tram was built on top of the existing brick and concrete from the old maglev system they had."

He also mentioned that San Francisco cable cars make 90 degree turns without a problem and no driver.

This type of system does not comport with what the permits are showing. First, the way we are seeing turning stations indicates that this is an aerial cable. A track based system, like above, does not need to go in a straight line with turning stations. Gondola's do. That the system is cable driven is irrelevant. In fact, generally a cable driven system has limited capacity as there is 1 car running in each direction and that is it, unless the vehicles can attach/detach from the cable.

Second, the San Francisco cable cars attach and detach from the cable using a grip essentially. The cable cars can't really turn at all, except using a rotating platform, which at least when I lived in San Francisco, was done completely manually, including pushing the rotating platform. See below video.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
It's all fun until someone decides to find a way of jumping out of one mid flight and then we'll be stuck with large abandoned metal pylons littering the landscape once again.

I can't see this project going ahead personally.

If the project is what we think it is, then it's moving forward since permits have been filed. They have been a couple edge cases where we got this far in permitting and the project didn't move forward, but they are the exception, not the rule.

andysol

The turn could be manageable but they would be unnecessary at a location like WDW. You're not building through tight city streets. If they were using cable monorail they would be able to have curves and would not be locked in to these linear paths. And cable monorail would not necessary be more efficient as you would be limited in the number of trains that could operate on the line.

And lastly. It's a gondola

Seriously, in Martin I trust. If he says that's what's currently on the drawing board, that's good enough for me!

So I somehow overlooked @marni1971 post. It goes without saying that I like and respect and believe him as much or more than anyone on the forum.

That said- I still want to argue how it is still feasible by not being a gondola. If you take something like the Roosevelt Island tramway- that has a capacity of 115 people- and since they updated it in 2010, it is now a dual switch system with the trains having the ability to disconnect from the cable to stop. So they aren't limited in the number of trains that could operate on a line. It could easily make an 80 degree turn- and at 18mph- it moves decent with a good sized capacity. Now- it still has to stop operation at 50mph winds or lightning- so there is that potential. But if you took the exact same train and put the cable underneath- now it becomes a smaller version of the MCO cable monorail on a dual switch system- allowing it to disconnect for loading, etc- but without the inherent risk of shutting it down due to wind or weather conditions.

So again, I'm not saying it isn't a gondula- if the cable is above the track (like the Roosevelt) or below the track (like HE)- it is still fast, has large loading capacity, has very similar support structures (that we still haven't had a permit for) and is a durable and time tested system that will be a great addition. I just fail to see why they would do a gondola outside of the novelty- because it certainly isn't as efficient as a cable mono.

But lastly- if @marni1971 spoke, I'll listen- so all is good. ;)

the San Francisco cable cars attach and detach from the cable using a grip essentially. The cable cars can't really turn at all, except using a rotating platform, which at least when I lived in San Francisco, was done completely manually, including pushing the rotating platform. See below video.
The route itself has multiple 90 degree turns on the Powell/Mason and Powell/Hyde lines. The manual turnarounds are only at the ends of the routes (which I love!) :)

Last edited:

flyerjab

Interestingly enough, I read in one of the spirit threads that martin indicated he is aware of 1 (or possibly 2) new DVC ventures, as well as up to 3 non-DVC possibilities.

Maybe, aside from being kinda cool, this is to help alleviate the crowded buses and crowded roadways around property. Especially if more on property locations are coming. With 3 to 5 more on property resorts, imagine how many more people that will add to an already stressed transportation system. Buses are packed to the gills at times and there are so many buses already (although not enough according to some folks). If Disney is only increasing the amount of guests on property - which let's face it is going to happen - I think that another mode of transportation is warranted.

There already are buses, boats, ferries, monorails. Now add to it an elevated gondola cable system. This is a move I certainly did not see coming at all. If anything, there could be a slight nod to the old skyway with this, even though this is a much more massive system that we are guessing at. I personally think that it is a great idea; a way to keep passengers traveling in elevated fashion, but at less expense to WDW. And if it works - and works well - then who is to say that it wouldn't be expanded upon or added to in other areas of the resort. I mean, this resort is only going to get bigger over time.

Just think in late 2019 when Star Wars Land (supposedly) debuts. They could have people traveling from CBR, AoA and Pop via elevated gondola to the newly opened lands. That could be a pretty nice view of DHS coming in at that angle. This obviously also is in line with what @peter11435 has been hinting at previously with big changes coming to CBR. In other words, not just a simple addition of DVC to that moderate resort. UNI has upped the ante in terms of amenities/offerings at their less than deluxe resorts. Disney needs to answer back. This could be the start of better things to come for all of the WDW resorts (not just the deluxe ones) - something that @articos has also talked about.

Fun times ahead.

Last edited:

Jae99

The problem with connecting DAK park to AKL hotel would be the view of the back of Pandora. The rear of the showbuildings have half rockwork on them so it would really break the illusion.
I wonder if they would use a system where the windows were more of a screen that blocked your view and gave you an experience similar to Hogwarts Express. Show the riders some sort of video or just a view of Florida wilderness minus the backstage view.

Wasn't it at the last D23 event at WDW in November where they teased some sort of new type of bus experience that showed videos and lights on the interior of the bus.

TeriofTerror

Which blog is yours?

As for me, I love the idea of gondolas! I will ride it just for the view.
I'm a little embarrassed to say because I hardly ever write anything there (who has the time?!) but it's www.disneygene.com. I mostly just have it so that I can serve as a connection for my friends with a casual interest in Disney to the larger Disney community. :)

peter11435

Can I also mention- why would this transportation even going to the north side of Seabreeze Drive in the first place? Why even have the top right turn at all? Why could this not go straight to the boardwalk parking area, turn there- then head to international gateway?

There's something in these preliminary permits that we aren't privy to yet.
Because that will be the station for guests staying at the new DVC property

Brad Bishop

One of the downsides of this is that it introduces another mode of transportation which can get in the way.

"How do I get to the MK?"
"Well, you walk about .3mi over to the gondola station, take that to Epcot IG, then walk about .5mi to the Monorail station, swap monorails at the TTC, ride over to the MK and done!"

Of course they could just say, "Take the bus." My thought is that the transportation system should be more homogenous than a hodgepodge of "what seemed like a good idea at the time".

Not poo-pooing it, mind you - just a thought.

AndyS2992

And that's different from the monorails, how?
It's isn't. However the monorails aren't particularly high so jumping out would hurt but I doubt it would fatally injure someone. I don't know how high these gondolas will be but probably high enough to do some major injury, but hopefully it won't come to that. The Mickey & Friends parking structure at Disneyland has been a popular place to do it these last few years.. for whatever strange reason.

orky8

One of the downsides of this is that it introduces another mode of transportation which can get in the way.

"How do I get to the MK?"
"Well, you walk about .3mi over to the gondola station, take that to Epcot IG, then walk about .5mi to the Monorail station, swap monorails at the TTC, ride over to the MK and done!"

Of course they could just say, "Take the bus." My thought is that the transportation system should be more homogenous than a hodgepodge of "what seemed like a good idea at the time".

Not poo-pooing it, mind you - just a thought.

What I think they really need to do is connect all 4 parks (plus Disney Spring, maybe) by monorail. Then give each resort a way to get to one of those 4 or 5 places.

I agree, I don't really like the hodgepodge. Even the transferring monorails at TTC right now is rather disjointed, I think. Hopefully this is just one piece of a larger puzzle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom