News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Cesar R M

Of course not... but there a multiple wind speed working up to hurricane and gondolas are vulnerable to all forces of wind. I'm not saying unsafe but certainly dis-concerning for a number of people.
Well, they would be disabling these when a hurricane gets closer, including moving all gondolas to station. Why risk it?

Lift Blog

The accident report for that one is an interesting read. Cause was found to be "ice-jacking," where the tower filled with water, froze and cracked in spectacular fashion while the gondola was operating. Thankfully, no one died. Now every lift tower is required to have a hole drilled near the bottom for water to escape. Even in Florida!

Creathir

The accident report for that one is an interesting read. Cause was found to be "ice-jacking," where the tower filled with water, froze and cracked in spectacular fashion while the gondola was operating. Thankfully, no one died. Now every lift tower is required to have a hole drilled near the bottom for water to escape. Even in Florida!

Also keeps mesquite growing grounds (as if there were not enough already around) from inside the towers...

tirian

Irrespective of the degree of swing, I do think there is risk that some folks might suffer mild motion sickness on the gondolas. We took a family ski trip to Breckenridge in late March. While there, we rode the BreckConnect Gondola up to Peak 8. There was no wind to speak of, but the gondola did sway as it was making its way through two turning stations. My 14 year old got little queasy on the ride due to the swaying motion of the gondola. It was nothing that ruined his day or anything like that, but it's something I was not expecting.

Side note: Disney vacations are expensive to be sure, but I am still reeling from the price of lift tickets! Also note that quick service meal prices at the top of a mountain might actually exceed those in the Disney parks. It was still a really fun trip, though.
"The Breck" is one of the most expensive vacations I've ever taken in the United States. I recall paying nearly $20 for chicken nuggets and a Coke.

TrojanUSC

There is no question that fear of gondolas while being fine with buses is illogical. I haven't looked at everything, but I don't think people are actually arguing that refusing to board a gondola is rational. I think instead they are noting, correctly, that there ARE people so afraid of heights, the feeling of no control, or the idea of being somewhere where there is no available means of escape that they'll refuse to ride this mode of transport. The question is whether there are enough people that have that fear that it will wind up causing problems for Disney once this is the primary/only mode of transport from several resorts to several parks. I don't think it'll be that big a problem, but others do.

Don't these same people ride the monorail?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom