News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

trainplane3

I’ve asked this before...but I forget the answer. How long is the travel time between HWS and Epcot (I know it requires a transfer). Would it be shorter then the friendship boats? I would say yes, because it takes forever for a friendship boat to arrive. (I stay at the Dolphin resort normally)
I believe it was mentioned to be about 14 (maybe 15?) minutes.

I can beat the friendship boats crab walking. In a storm. Wearing knight armor.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I believe it was mentioned to be about 14 (maybe 15?) minutes.

I can beat the friendship boats crab walking. In a storm. Wearing knight armor.

The official time from Disney is 20 minutes, not including the transfer time at CBR, so the actual travel time is pretty close, but the Skyliner will probably have a shorter wait.

NelsonRD

The official time from Disney is 20 minutes, not including the transfer time at CBR, so the actual travel time is pretty close, but the Skyliner will probably have a shorter wait.

Not sure how much the transfer has been discussed in this forum, maybe I missed it but...

Do you need to transfer from your gondola car? Or, do you just tell an attendant, and they push you on the track?
For example, leaving Hollywood studios, when arriving at CBR, can I remain in that car, and it is directed to either AOA or Epcot? Or do I have to disembark, and get in another line?

begood524

Not sure how much the transfer has been discussed in this forum, maybe I missed it but...

Do you need to transfer from your gondola car? Or, do you just tell an attendant, and they push you on the track?
For example, leaving Hollywood studios, when arriving at CBR, can I remain in that car, and it is directed to either AOA or Epcot? Or do I have to disembark, and get in another line?
You have to get off. All three lines are separated.

NelsonRD

You have to get off. All three lines are separated.

I understand all 3 lines a separate. But the cars detach from the cables in the stations. They then move along by kicker wheels. It is possible the car can detach from the HS line, and be directed to the Epcot line, while I remain in the car. An attendant can push the car from one line to the other. Not sure if this is part of the design consideration or not.

MaximumEd

I understand all 3 lines a separate. But the cars detach from the cables in the stations. They then move along by kicker wheels. It is possible the car can detach from the HS line, and be directed to the Epcot line, while I remain in the car. An attendant can push the car from one line to the other. Not sure if this is part of the design consideration or not.

No. As stated above, the cars don’t work like that. You have to leave your car and get on another on another line.

joelkfla

As the thread title says: Every Possible What If ....? Has Been Discussed

Among reasons given:
  • Having everyone board anew at CBR puts Guests from all resorts on an equal footing.
  • Switching cars based on rider destination would create problems spacing the cabins on the rope and balancing the number of cabins across lines.
  • It would require cm's to group riders by destination, complicating the loading process.
  • Cabins would be crossing each other's paths; timing the switching to avoid collisions would be complicated, and might well require cabins to be spaced further apart on the rope, reducing capacity.
In short, it's technically feasible, but not worth it.

Minthorne

"Fix Loose Cable" makes zero sense. More likely they are shortening the rope due to stretch.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The DHS line was looking pretty slack a week ago, too.

Also, while the cars are being parked for the storm, they have been getting parked there on a regular basis, at least during this testing phase. When I was down two weeks ago for the AP SLW preview, most of the cars were parked in the storage area over the entire weekend. There was very little testing done on the weekend.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Possible in theory - but this system was not built with that in mind. The tradeoffs necessary to make such a system work and safely.. probably outweigh the simple solution of "stand up, walk, get right back on". Just like subway systems... line switching is possible, but it's more effective to stick with a reliable closed system.

allgiggles

"Fix Loose Cable" makes zero sense. More likely they are shortening the rope due to stretch.

Is shortening the rope something that commonly has to be done during the testing/breaking-in phase? Does it have to be done periodically throughout the lifetime of the system? How do they do that? (Genuine questions, not trying to start anything....and I've been following this thread from day 1 and don't remember this specific scenario being discussed. Sorry if I missed it.)

ABQ

Is shortening the rope something that commonly has to be done during the testing/breaking-in phase? Does it have to be done periodically throughout the lifetime of the system? How do they do that? (Genuine questions, not trying to start anything....and I've been following this thread from day 1 and don't remember this specific scenario being discussed. Sorry if I missed it.)
The answer to the how portion would be, I assume, cutting the rope, removing a portion and then splicing the remainder together.

Splicing example:

tractor tipper

If I remember correctly the original splice is undone, rope shortened then respliced. Best too have one splice per rope.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Scary to think that the cable may have stretched so much during testing with empty gondolas.

How much will it stretch when you start loading the gondolas with Disney-sized guests? And their scooters/strollers/backpacks/suitcases?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom