News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Chi84

Premium Member
But it's far from an isolated opinion. It's been open for a month already (downtime aside), and there hasn't been a huge backlash against the lack of AC. Lots of people have said that it's quite confortable, even people who were skeptical before it opened.
We were at CBR last week when the temperatures were near 90 with real feel temps near 100, and we rode the Skyliner to Epcot and HS - I think we rode 8 times in all. We were never uncomfortable because there was a pretty good breeze going through the cabin. It did start to get warm in the stations when the gondolas slowed down, but they opened the doors for ventilation. I can imagine it would get uncomfortably warm if you were stuck in one for any length of time.

Phil12

But it's far from an isolated opinion. It's been open for a month already (downtime aside), and there hasn't been a huge backlash against the lack of AC. Lots of people have said that it's quite confortable, even people who were skeptical before it opened.
But that's when the Skyliner is moving. There have been numerous honest evaluations stating that the gondolas get very hot when stopped and that when moving the amount of gondola ventilation (and hence comfort) largely depends upon which way the wind is blowing. If the gondolas are traveling in a following wind, they get hot because the ventilation is reduced.

It's clear that on a hot and humid day, getting stuck on a gondola for more than a few minutes will be very uncomfortable. For a longer period some guests will suffer heat related health problems dependent upon their age and general health. And those health problems could be very serious if the victims are left stranded in the gondolas for several hours.

And what I have stated is not a skeptical analysis, but rather just the plain facts of the matter.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
But that's when the Skyliner is moving. There have been numerous honest evaluations stating that the gondolas get very hot when stopped and that when moving the amount of gondola ventilation (and hence comfort) largely depends upon which why the wind is blowing. If the gondolas are traveling in a following wind, they get hot because the ventilation is reduced.

It's clear that on a hot and humid day, getting stuck on a gondola for more than a few minutes will be very uncomfortable. For a longer period some guests will suffer heat related health problems dependent upon their age and general health. And those health problems could be very serious if the victims are left stranded in the gondolas for several hours.

And what I have stated is not a skeptical analysis, but rather just the plain facts of the matter.

And has been discussed numerous times, the same issue applies to the monorail.

Phil12

And has been discussed numerous times, the same issue applies to the monorail.
You're right. So what does this tell us? Disney is more interested in "show" than in substance. At least we have a highly reliable form of transport with the buses and with any luck we can be sandwiched in with a bunch of attractive people.

It would appear that the Disney executive in charge of Skyliner operations is this guy:

TrojanUSC

You're right. So what does this tell us? Disney is more interested in "show" than in substance. At least we have a highly reliable form of transport with the buses and with any luck we can be sandwiched in with a bunch of attractive people.

It would appear that the Disney executive in charge of Skyliner operations is this guy:
View attachment 422330

Buses break down all the time. They're also highly inefficient, labor intensive, environmentally unfriendly and a far worse rider experience than the gondolas (I'd rather a nice breezy cabin with 5 people and no traffic lights than in a gross bus with someone's sweaty rear end in my face). Gondolas are a safe, proven transportation system and the same "issues" (hot while the system is down, paused operations during inclement weather, etc) apply to all current WDW mass transportation systems.

I am fairly certain (not from inside knowledge, but knowing the "cheap as we can" mentality of Dis Corp) that they have discussed replacing the existing monorail system around MK and to Epcot with a gondola system. If they were going to stick with the monorail I believe we would have heard about new trains by now. I could be wrong. I also see them tying in lines to Animal Kingdom and Disney Springs.

Unlikely for a number of reasons:

- The layout of the MK resort area would require multiple turning stations at a high cost or multiple lines. Just not effective when he monorail is still functionally working. Also, while the MK hotels are flagship resorts, they are relatively small compared to the value/moderate resorts that made this system worthwhile.

- The DAK idea is nice in theory but the reason this system worked so well for its current location is that there is such a high percentage of guest rooms so very close together and in such close proximity to two theme parks that it was feasible. DAK is literally miles away from any other theme park or resort (besides DAK Lodge) which would make it a far tougher logistical headache

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

I didn't realize you rode the thing in the hottest of summer months. I thought the thing opened at the end of September?!

Yes, I would agree that your opinion would have been "informed" had you ridden the thing in the middle of July. But you didn't. So please educate me as to how your opinion is in any way informed for the discussion at hand!
Believe it or not, its still shockingly hot and humid in Florida! As I pointed out it was 92 degrees and humid when I rode it. Sp yes, I can personally vouch for the ventilation working quite well in there. Now have you ridden it? If not, then you do not have first hand knowledge and your opinion is only based on second hand information.

Nigelbfc

Boats and trams aren't permanent structures. A gondola is. They will never be able to add A/C to it nor be able to run it in a lightning storm.

My entire point being that perhaps a gondola wasn't the best choice given the above limitations.

Your fighting a losing battle here because people who have rode it have all given you the same feedback. AC is not needed on Skyliner the cabins when I rode it on a 90 degree day were perfectly pleasant. Also the cabin doors open that frequently that an AC system would be inefficient and not great for the environment. I would go so far as to say the Skyliner is the best onsite transport system WDW as…….

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom