News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Goofyernmost

please dont compare a public transit system to something that is used by people paying over 100 dollars a day to use. and to be clear most guests likely spend far more when you include the room rates. so sorry if I don't want WDW to be like a NYC subway station.
You can wish it to be anything you like, but, to think that the bus system, boats and Monorail are not considered public transportation is what is currently known as alternative fact. Saying it repeatedly doesn't make it correct. And you can ride any part of the system without ever buying a ticket or paying that illusive, but, oft mentioned $100.00 per day which is another alternative fact.

NelsonRD

Has there been any updates on the lines the Gondola will travel? I have seen conflicting information. From each station to each destination, how many times will I need to switch Gondolas? For example, from Epcot to Hollywood Studios, do I need to get off and wait in line again with guest from the Caribbean Beach? 90 Degree turns have been suggested to reduce transfer points, but it looks like one transfer will be needed to each destination.

lazyboy97o

Has there been any updates on the lines the Gondola will travel? I have seen conflicting information. From each station to each destination, how many times will I need to switch Gondolas? For example, from Epcot to Hollywood Studios, do I need to get off and wait in line again with guest from the Caribbean Beach? 90 Degree turns have been suggested to reduce transfer points, but it looks like one transfer will be needed to each destination.
Three physically distinct lines radiate out from Caribbean Beach. That is the only point where transfers will definitely take place. Riviera is the only mid-line station and required disembarking seems unlikely.

GlacierGlacier

The other site has some photos from the construction walls at Epcot and Hollywood Studios showing New concept art, this time from the perspective of passengers approaching either station in the gondolas.

TrojanUSC

You can wish it to be anything you like, but, to think that the bus system, boats and Monorail are not considered public transportation is what is currently known as alternative fact. Saying it repeatedly doesn't make it correct. And you can ride any part of the system without ever buying a ticket or paying that illusive, but, oft mentioned $100.00 per day which is another alternative fact.

While you're correct you can ride any part of the system free of charge, but the $100/day is not illusive. One day tickets cost over that, with park-hoppers nearly 50% more than that.

peter11435

While you're correct you can ride any part of the system free of charge, but the $100/day is not illusive. One day tickets cost over that, with park-hoppers nearly 50% more than that.
The point was that most guests are not using one day tickets. So most guests are not paying that much

S 2

I'm disappointed that they're just using the standard Doppelmayr structures with superficial changes for the Epcot and Studios stations. The quasi-mansard shape is immediately recognizable to anybody who's been skiing, and will be familiar for its utilitarian approach. The mansard aesthetic almost works at International Gateway, where the ultimate outcome will depend on the materials chosen, but it doesn't fit at all with the streamline moderne entrance at the Studios
csm_4-CLD_Elkhead_Express_85a6b6b24d.jpg

The themed structure appears to be much more fully-realized at the CBR/hub station, likely due to the additional requirements for mechanical and storage space in that location. It's a shame that the more visible stations at the parks are where they decided to cut corners.

They could've built this at DHS to look like an AT-AT!!!

Goofyernmost

Yes, I am aware of that**, however, the numbers of people that pay that price, compared to the number that buy multiple day tickets, is not a very high percentage. Before someone decides to tell us all that the number of single day tickets sold at the ticket booths, as you enter a park, are more then those that buy multi-day ones, well, duh, of course. Most that buy multi-day are purchased on line from Disney or in a package from Disney or from the places that still sell Disney tickets. I have been going there for 34 years and have never purchased a ticket at the gate. In fact, the only time I even went up to one was when my last non-expiring one needed to be upgraded to deal with the new "magical" way to scan them. The point is that the number of people that only go for one day is very small, comparatively, that is what makes in illusive. I didn't say it didn't exist.
And one with a Park Hopper is even lower percentage of sales for a single day.

BlindChow

Three physically distinct lines radiate out from Caribbean Beach. That is the only point where transfers will definitely take place. Riviera is the only mid-line station and required disembarking seems unlikely.
I'm curious about how the Riviera station will work. Will they be sending empty gondolas out of the hub so Riviera guests won't have to wait an interminable amount of time waiting for someone to disembark? The number of guests wanting to stay on the line is going to far outnumber the ones getting off at the Riviera.

TrojanUSC

Okay, there’s no way I’m going to go back and read 300+ pages in here, but this my 2 cents about Disney transportation based on my recent trip.

While the buses were okay, and I had no issues with the monorail, I’m looking forward to the gondolas as a new form of transportation. My friends and I stayed at Pop, which meant we were strictly at the mercy of the buses. Getting to the parks or Disney Springs wasn’t an issue (definitely took the bus to Epcot to ride the monorail on a couple situations though, since the MK buses were late or packed on almost every occasion we needed them). Getting back, however, took a lot of time.

I really think that bus wait times need to be placed at all pick up locations, and not just at the hotels. I saw a lot of frustrated people in line, because waits could be anywhere from 5-20 minutes. I’m in no way defending the way some of these people acted, but additional information, whether on tv screens or on MDE, would be a massive help for the buses.

Getting to and from Animal Kingdom looks like it will still be bus only, but having that extra option at resorts like Pop and Animation will be very welcome.

For $5-7 you could hav
The point was that most guests are not using one day tickets. So most guests are not paying that much

A four-day ticket with park hopper option (the most likely reason you'd use transportation) is $425.00. So, many guests are paying this amount.

nickys

Premium Member
on the new maps why does it say the Riviera Stop is only proposed? it doesn't say that for any of the other stops...

Because no DVC properties are considered "official" until they go on sale to the public. BLT wasn't "official" until it went on sale.

However, just in case anyone is still unsure, at the recent DVC Condo Meeting, they confirmed that:

- Riviera will have a gondola station

- It will also have a roof top restaurant with views of both Epcot and DHS fireworks (albeit they didn't mention that both views will be off centre ;))

lazyboy97o

I'm curious about how the Riviera station will work. Will they be sending empty gondolas out of the hub so Riviera guests won't have to wait an interminable amount of time waiting for someone to disembark? The number of guests wanting to stay on the line is going to far outnumber the ones getting off at the Riviera.
That is how such situations are usually handled. It’s not really new ground for these types of systems.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
However, just in case anyone is still unsure, at the recent DVC Condo Meeting, they confirmed that:

- Riviera will have a gondola station

- It will also have a roof top restaurant with views of both Epcot and DHS fireworks (albeit they didn't mention that both views will be off centre ;))

We all know that Riviera will have a gondola station :D Disney just won't say it's official until it goes on sale. :rolleyes:

Pure guess on my part, but the roof-top restaurant sounds like it will be DVC member-exclusive if it has views of fireworks, much like the Top of the World Lounge is/was.

nickys

Premium Member
We all know that Riviera will have a gondola station :D Disney just won't say it's official until it goes on sale. :rolleyes:

Pure guess on my part, but the roof-top restaurant sounds like it will be DVC member-exclusive if it has views of fireworks, much like the Top of the World Lounge is/was.

Yes I know we all knew this ages ago. But Disney, or DVC, have now confirmed it, that's my point. To DVCers at least, but it is now "official".

The restaurant though, I'm not sure it will be. TOTWL is DVC exclusive, but I doubt DVC members can sustain an entire restaurant. TOTWL isn't full for most evenings until about 30 minutes before the fireworks. only at really busy times of the year is there any problem getting in, and the rest of the year they will sometimes let renters or cash guests at BLT up without a membership card.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom