News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Creathir

Lap bars are easy to defeat, so I didn't count them. But locked seatbelts, yeah. Hard to get out of without a knife.
So THAT’S why they don’t let you bring a knife into the parks... because they want to ensure they are in total control of their priso— “guests” while they are on rides...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This issue is that the DS Garages Literally do not have a place to put these machines without causing weird bottlenecks and huge backups.
There could be several options for payment points. Ticket on entry with payment kiosks at stairwells/store validations.

Parking App where customer has linked to payment card and car information. Combined with and ANPR at entry and exit, charge would be automatic with a 3 sec delay upon entry and exit.
Late to the party, and gloriously off topic for now, but ANPR with no barriers are becoming popular in the UK now. No tickets, no gates, definitely no app. The biggest issue would be getting patrons to remember (or note) their rental car registration. I believe you call it a license plate. I assume the US has similar photo capture driven systems?

ImperfectPixie

Late to the party, and gloriously off topic for now, but ANPR with no barriers are becoming popular in the UK now. No tickets, no gates, definitely no app. The biggest issue would be getting patrons to remember (or note) their rental car registration. I believe you call it a license plate. I assume the US has similar photo capture driven systems?
Absolutely. I've not seen them used for parking (I don't park in pay-to-park lots often), but I think there's a toll just outside of Boston that uses it, and the transfer station (for garbage/recycling) in our town uses it as well. For the toll, if you don't have the little doohicky (or an online account with a credit card attached to it?) that sends them a signal so they can charge your account, they send you a bill in the mail. For the transfer station, it cross-checks your licence plate against the "paid user" database, and they fine you $50 if you haven't paid for usage.

Magic Feather

Absolutely. I've not seen them used for parking (I don't park in pay-to-park lots often), but I think there's a toll just outside of Boston that uses it, and the transfer station (for garbage/recycling) in our town uses it as well. For the toll, if you don't have the little doohicky (or an online account with a credit card attached to it?) that sends them a signal so they can charge your account, they send you a bill in the mail. For the transfer station, it cross-checks your licence plate against the "paid user" database, and they fine you $50 if you haven't paid for usage.
Currently, “Pay by Plate” Systems (as they are called in the US) are almost entirely used by toll systems. Unfortunately, as it stands, the US only would have the ability to either work with a toll company (as @ImperfectPixie wonderfully explained) or work with the government to send bills. It is a very messy system, as it stands, and I could barely see it being adapted by Disney, simply because it involves going through multiple other channels and a long waiting period before any money is received.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Currently, “Pay by Plate” Systems (as they are called in the US) are almost entirely used by toll systems. Unfortunately, as it stands, the US only would have the ability to either work with a toll company (as @ImperfectPixie wonderfully explained) or work with the government to send bills. It is a very messy system, as it stands, and I could barely see it being adapted by Disney, simply because it involves going through multiple other channels and a long waiting period before any money is received.

It's used on lots around here. Even surface lots with no surrounding structures. It's certainly not as common yet... but the migration to almost all smartphone app systems is aiding it. Here they seem to use the photos to help with enforcement/mapping of accounts.. and not just for 'care free biling' :) . You still use an app/website to buy/pay... but the gates can open for you automatically based on your plates.

Magic Feather

It's used on lots around here. Even surface lots with no surrounding structures. It's certainly not as common yet... but the migration to almost all smartphone app systems is aiding it. Here they seem to use the photos to help with enforcement/mapping of accounts.. and not just for 'care free biling' :) . You still use an app/website to buy/pay... but the gates can open for you automatically based on your plates.
But they still have gates? That’s the issue with a parking system at Springs is that there is no room for gates and the backups that they would cause. While I’m sure there is tech for gate-less systems, it seems like it would be, as of now, a bit of a hassle, especially if granting validations.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But they still have gates? That’s the issue with a parking system at Springs is that there is no room for gates and the backups that they would cause. While I’m sure there is tech for gate-less systems, it seems like it would be, as of now, a bit of a hassle, especially if granting validations.

They have gates.. but I think its more for traffic control reasons. To make sure customers don't go to the wrong place, places for normal validation, etc. The cameras augment the validation system, vs being using exclusively. I don't know why that is.. if it's for familiarity, compatibility, or what.

ImperfectPixie

If I'm thinking right, because pre-paid and "doohicky" users pay monthly, it would seem the bills go out once a month. Last time we got one, I think it was three weeks between using the toll-road and receiving a bill. The one before that seemed to be closer to when we actually used the toll-road. (We only use it when we're too lazy/tired to drive around, so not often.)

ImperfectPixie

They have gates.. but I think its more for traffic control reasons. To make sure customers don't go to the wrong place, places for normal validation, etc. The cameras augment the validation system, vs being using exclusively. I don't know why that is.. if it's for familiarity, compatibility, or what.
At our transfer station, the only gates in use are to open/close the area (and aren't automatic). None for stopping for a photo of your plate or anything. We don't generally use the transfer station, but next time I'm there, I'll have to see if I can spot where the camera is...I'm guessing somewhere near the huge dumpsters your trash goes into that you have to park beside. And for the toll-road I described, you don't even have to slow below 50mph, if memory serves.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

The systems over here are gateless and pass-less. As you drive in without stopping the front of your car is recorded (without you being aware of it). You park and walk away. I’d imagine over there you’d need front and rear recorded.

When you want to leave you go to any of the pay stations (in or out of the parking structure) and enter your registration / license plate. Up comes a large hi resolution photo of your car entering (you can see the plate and who’s in the car for verification) on the screen and the time you arrived. You say yes it’s you, then pay the machine or insert a validation card / code / scan a QF code. You then go to your car and drive away without stopping. Cameras at the exit also record you leaving and if you’ve paid or not. For tourists I’d imagine like a toll violation if you don’t pay the hire company sends you the bill. It really is hassle free. Assuming DS ever felt the need to charge of course.

And now back to our regular program. Have they got AC yet?

gerarar

Premium Member
It's probably nothing, but we're currently in a standstill on the Epcot line above Buena Vista Dr. for at least 15 minutes now. (stopped at 9:08)

This was our first time using the Skyliner today, got on at Hollywood Studios to go to Epcot.
20191224_085913.jpg
20191224_091045.jpg

Edit: a manual announcement just came on (not automated) saying it's delayed until further notice. I hope it's not what I fear..

Edit2: It resumed around 9:35ish. Although it was stop and go from there.

I really like the system, however there were many concerned and mad(?) guests when we got off at International Gateway.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

It's probably nothing, but we're currently in a standstill on the Epcot line above Buena Vista Dr. for at least 15 minutes now. (stopped at 9:08)

This was our first time using the Skyliner today, got on at Hollywood Studios to go to Epcot.
View attachment 435946View attachment 435947

Edit: a manual announcement just came on (not automated) saying it's delayed until further notice. I hope it's not what I fear..
Break out the emergency kit!

Incomudro

View attachment 435946View attachment 435947

Edit2: It resumed around 9:35ish. Although it was stop and go from there.

I really like the system, however there were many concerned and mad(?) guests when we got off at International Gateway.

Over 25 minutes stopped and hanging there is inexcusable.
I'd be pretty annoyed too.
I want to like this Skyliner, I do in fact like many things about it - but they've got to get those stops sorted out.

joelkfla

I want to like this Skyliner, I do in fact like many things about it - but they've got to get those stops sorted out.
After 3 months of operation, one would reasonably expect any training or procedural issues to have been worked out by now. It must be a design or programming problem that they and Doppelmayr haven't been able to solve.

Incomudro

After 3 months of operation, one would reasonably expect any training or procedural issues to have been worked out by now. It must be a design or programming problem that they and Doppelmayr haven't been able to solve.

Yeah, I don't know what it's due to but it's not good.
Imagine the Friendship Boats routinely stopping in the water with no way off of the boats for 15 minutes and more at a time?
Or buses stopping on route to their destinations for the same length of time?

gerarar

Premium Member
Yea this was my family and I's first time ever using the system. My mom so far is not a fan because of the long stoppage plus swayings from the stop and go intervals after resuming operations.

I'm trying to convince her that this was an anomaly and probably won't happen again on any future trip. But she's convinced otherwise and wants to take a bus back to HS for our RoR BG call..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom