New Florida law addresses "fake" service animals with possible jail time

NowInc

SO...4th of july. I am set up on the top level of the train station of MK for fireworks (way too far in advance..but thats not important)...and all of a sudden down below I hear giggling and some excited barking. I peer down and I see a man pull out a paper fan and start using it downwards towards a stroller...

iziSRV6.jpg

Whats that? Dogs in a stroller? But they are in vests..they MUST be service dogs. YEARS of training. Barking..playing..etc. in front of many onlookers while their owners take glee that their furry angels are getting all this attention. How many dogs? in the above pic, you will see two, one in blue and one in pink. Benefit of the doubt here, they are "adult" dogs..maybe have some training. But whats this? a 3rd dog in a green vest? A puppy!? Complete with its own little vest. Yeah..I am so sure its a legit service dog and absolutely necessary to be there for the support of their owners.

HlknH1u.jpg

Here is my issue. I have friends who are either HIGHLY allergic to, or DEATHLY afraid of dogs. Its something they deal with every day and typically are ok with service dogs as they are well behaved and attached to their owners. Then comes along situations like this. These dogs are clearly just pets. So much for others comfort or concerns as long as fluffy gets to come play in the MK.

G00fyDad

SO...4th of july. I am set up on the top level of the train station of MK for fireworks (way too far in advance..but thats not important)...and all of a sudden down below I hear giggling and some excited barking. I peer down and I see a man pull out a paper fan and start using it downwards towards a stroller...

iziSRV6.jpg

Whats that? Dogs in a stroller? But they are in vests..they MUST be service dogs. YEARS of training. Barking..playing..etc. in front of many onlookers while their owners take glee that their furry angels are getting all this attention. How many dogs? in the above pic, you will see two, one in blue and one in pink. Benefit of the doubt here, they are "adult" dogs..maybe have some training. But whats this? a 3rd dog in a green vest? A puppy!? Complete with its own little vest. Yeah..I am so sure its a legit service dog and absolutely necessary to be there for the support of their owners.

HlknH1u.jpg

Here is my issue. I have friends who are either HIGHLY allergic to, or DEATHLY afraid of dogs. Its something they deal with every day and typically are ok with service dogs as they are well behaved and attached to their owners. Then comes along situations like this. These dogs are clearly just pets. So much for others comfort or concerns as long as fluffy gets to come play in the MK.

Clearly losers. :banghead:

Dwarful

Last summer we were in Mickey's Philharmagic and a guest came in with 'a service dog'. The CM's directed the guests to a specific area to stand...guests didn't want to go to that area...so they crawled under the bars and down to the lower area where everyone else goes. There was a girl who obviously was highly allergic to dogs and severely asthmatic...the father asked the dog owner to move and they refused. The little girl (maybe 9) started having some trouble and the father pushed the family through to get out of the building.

Animaniac93-98

There's a reason WDW has a Kennel.

But anything to save a few bucks, right? :rolleyes:

cinderellafan6

I love this!! I am extremely allergic to all animals. I cannot be near them, I get weekly shots and carry around an epi pen and inhaler. I understand some individuals need service dogs. A pit bull was in my supermarket the other night with a kid in college buying beer and pizza. The damn dog was running up and down the store wearing nothing and all the cashiers were petting the dog. I told him to control his pet and he yelled at me telling me he was a service dog. Luckily I knew the store manager and told him what was happening.

Its people like this that I feel mock the disabled and needs to be stopped.

G00fyDad

I love this!! I am extremely allergic to all animals. I cannot be near them, I get weekly shots and carry around an epi pen and inhaler. I understand some individuals need service dogs. A pit bull was in my supermarket the other night with a kid in college buying beer and pizza. The damn dog was running up and down the store wearing nothing and all the cashiers were petting the dog. I told him to control his pet and he yelled at me telling me he was a service dog. Luckily I knew the store manager and told him what was happening.

Its people like this that I feel mock the disabled and needs to be stopped.

I will yell right back at them. We all need to say something when we see this kind of behavior otherwise they're just going to keep doing it.

SoupBone

iziSRV6.jpg

HlknH1u.jpg

Unfreakin-real. And like I said before, this has the same feeling as the guest assistance cards (GAC). Idiots abuse the system and puts Disney in a tough position. Hopefully Disney sees this as a growing problem that they have to address, like the selfie sticks, and the GAC. Someone brought up the public health side of this for asthmatics, and it's a very valid point.

The number of asthma related deaths in the U.S. is:
  • Number of deaths: 3,630
  • Deaths per 100,000 population: 1.1
While this isn't all that bad, the number of adults and children suffering from it is (I can't find specific stats related to pet allergies and asthma):
  • Number of adults who currently have asthma: 18.7 million
  • Percent of adults who currently have asthma: 8.0%
  • Number of children who currently have asthma: 6.8 million
  • Percent of children who currently have asthma: 9.3%
Disney has plenty enough evidence to start booting idiots like the ones in your pic. I really cannot understand how fast we've moved toward real life Idiocracy. Everyone is such a precious unique snowflake these days that thinks only of themselves. What the hell happened to the Disney Parks (Ok, it's a bit of sky is falling, but still)?

Oh and FTR, I absolutely love dogs, and have 3 of my own. However, I'm not selfish or stupid as to think they deserve to be hanging out in the parks.

BrerJon

Disney has plenty enough evidence to start booting idiots like the ones in your pic. I really cannot understand how fast we've moved toward real life Idiocracy. Everyone is such a precious unique snowflake these days that thinks only of themselves. What the hell happened to the Disney Parks (Ok, it's a bit of sky is falling, but still)?

We just need one person to file a lawsuit, or at least send a letter from a legal firm threatening one, saying they had to pay hospital bills because of a dog allergy caused by a fake service animal at the park. I bet Disney would clamp down on them very quickly once the lawyers got involved.

ThemeParkJunkee

I wasn't going to comment on this thread but I think I should. I noticed the "comfort dog in tote bag", "comfort dog in stroller thing when I was there in October. I wasn't going to raise a fuss but I was barked at for simply being in the vicinity of the animals. They were obviously not trained. Now, I am allergic to pet dander and I have been bitten by a dog requiring stitches so am not the least bit comfortable around uncontrolled dogs. My family had to give away our one and only dog when I became so allergic I couldn't breathe when I was in 8th grade. I have never needed an Epipen or anything like that but my youngest daughter did when she came into contact with a bunch of puppies at a friends home. There is no way a properly trained service dog with proper credentials that did not interract with me in any way would cause me a problem. They would not bark at me. They would not jump on me. They would have credentials clearly stating that I should not interact with them and they would be close to and attentive to their owner. I hope this will help. There are a number of OCSD types around to legally request documentation at WDW. Maybe, just maybe this will be a deterrent.

Goofyernmost

I think what needs to happen is that we need to lobby those that are in charge of enforcing ADA to include a few things in the list of accepted disabilities. However, they may not need too. With just a little imagination we can take the current lack of definition to get what we need. First, if I get near a dog, I start to lose my ability to breath. There is no bigger disability then potential death, surely a recognizable prospect. Second, I feel that when a unauthorized dog enters my visual field, I can feel myself completely going insane. Who knows what I might do under that situation.

Things like this are counter points that basically eliminate the validity of those that are faking their needs to get their own way. Believe me unless they come to their senses and require some verification of need, this will only get worse and worse. Those that should be fighting it the most are those that have actual disabilities and these clowns are making them all look suspicious and even seem like liars. The very act that was intended to help people with disabilities to be more integrated with the rest of society has created a situation where they are now looked upon as outcasts of society only trying to get something they don't deserve. Ah, the best laid plans of mice and men.

Last edited:

G00fyDad

Or we could be completely serious about it and lobby Congress to pass new legislation and modify the ADA. It's time it gets an overhaul anyway. All that needs to happen is that an individual must carry an ID card from an authorized service animal training facility with them that shows they have a service animal and not a pet. Done. They would be required to show identification at any location that asks for it where they ban pets. Law Enforcement couldn't just simply come up and ask them for it, any place that allows a pet anyway wouldn't have a cause to ask for it.

EpcoTim

And then, there's someone like me, who gets turned away all the time because people don't believe my "Deafness Cougar" performs a service. Anyone who paid attention would realize he is tapping Morse Code on my shoulder with his big old paw so that I can understand what is being said to me.

How does he get along with that donkey that you use to chew all your food?

GrammieBee

Blessings on those who have an actual need for a service animal or an ECV. Any sane person would not want to change places with them and should thank their lucky stars that they are healthy, whole and have the ability to walk around the parks without special needs.

A pox on those who take advantage of accommodations made for those with special needs. Those people think that somehow they are superior and can do whatever they want however and whenever they want. If they think about anything other than themselves, they probably think that anyone who plays by the rules is pretty stupid.

Shame on those in authority who can't get their act together and are too busy being "politicaly correct" to require a simple identification card or license stating that there is a disibility (not specified) and/or the animal is a certified service animal.. Yes, these cards can be faked, ,but, hopefully, most of the abusers would probably not bother to make the effort to get a fake card. Anyone who would go that far so that they could ride.rather than walk, or they cannot bear to be separated from dear little Fido, is beyond help and has a definite mental disibility.

A license or identification card could also be for a temporary condition..

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom