New Fantasyland to feature 'D-Zones'

Next Big Thing

I find it a little odd that a PARK needs a dedicated place for relaxation.
Ironic in the sense of the word maybe. As far as theme parks go however, I think most know what they're getting themselves into - No one's going to be sitting laying around having a picnic (that is unless it's New Years Eve and you're in Epcot).

Skibum1970

At Kings Island, the park has a small "park" (if you will) with a waterfall and various seating within it where someone can just sit down and relax in the shade. Yes, the Magic Kingdom has some of the same but sometimes it's nice to be able to sit down away from the crowds moving through to other attractions. I am not sure how large the "D Zones" will be but I'd imagine that they will be packed with happy resting people or those recharging a phone or camera. At Islands of Adventure, I enjoy sitting by the Port of Entry and just taking in the ambiance (music and scenery) before returning to the rides.

lazyboy97o

Ironic in the sense of the word maybe. As far as theme parks go however, I think most know what they're getting themselves into - No one's going to be sitting laying around having a picnic (that is unless it's New Years Eve and you're in Epcot).
The parks were conceived of as being much more park-like than people tend to notice. It's why people who want to run from place to place find less today in some parks, because try we're designed as places of entertainment and relaxation.

NewfieFan

Do you have children? Have you taken said children to Disney for a week or more? If you answered yes to these questions then you will have the answer to your question.

I'm surprised they don't have napping stations. I would probably pay good money...

NewfieFan

The parks were conceived of as being much more park-like than people tend to notice. It's why people who want to run from place to place find less today in some parks, because try we're designed as places of entertainment and relaxation.

Oh, I don't doubt they were and I do notice such things (as any good Disney nerd should). But the fact of the matter is that touring the parks in this day and age doesn't include much relaxation. Most folks only come for a week or less and for first timers there is a lot to do and see. If one wants to get their "money's worth" (this is subjective of course) they have to run from attraction to attraction. And even if you're the type to relax and take it all in slowly, it's still nice to have a dedicated place to do so!

lazyboy97o

Do you have children? Have you taken said children to Disney for a week or more? If you answered yes to these questions then you will have the answer to your question.

I'm surprised they don't have napping stations. I would probably pay good money...
Yes, I have brought young kids to the parks and places to sit are there. I sit when I am there without children as its part of how the places work.

These "D-Zones" with their recharging station seem to be the opposite if their claimed purpose. NextGen is expected to work heavily with phones and they'll need to be charged so the "perks" can be utilized.

Oh, I don't doubt they were and I do notice such things (as any good Disney nerd should). But the fact of the matter is that touring the parks in this day and age doesn't include much relaxation. Most folks only come for a week or less and for first timers there is a lot to do and see. If one wants to get their "money's worth" (this is subjective of course) they have to run from attraction to attraction. And even if you're the type to relax and take it all in slowly, it's still nice to have a dedicated place to do so!
Disney continuing to encourage the faster pace and movement is not a sustainable practice. It will never work. All it does is try to mask shortcomings by more scheduling the day and putting people into a state of constant travel instead of a state of experience. An otherwise normal amenity (a place to sit) being named and highlighted is another symptom of Disney's attempts to sell less for me.

lazyboy97o

You will have to reserve your charging station time slot 180 days in advance....
And that's part of the problem with these types of highlighted areas. They will likely never be relaxing as they will be packed full of people using the charging access. And if Disney provides cables, how long until the wear makes them rather useless?

Next Big Thing

The only park I can agree has a very "Park-like" feel to is Universal Studios Florida. With many areas such as Central Park and Battery Park and overall a very laid back atmosphere throughout the entire park, it makes for very easy, less "go-go-go" style traveling.

Timothy_Q

The only park I can agree has a very "Park-like" feel to is Universal Studios Florida. With many areas such as Central Park and Battery Park and overall a very laid back atmosphere throughout the entire park, it makes for very easy, less "go-go-go" style traveling.

For me World Showcase and AK are the parks/areas that have a more relaxing feel.
If I can, I'd like to include DisneySEA in the list as well

MKCP 1985

You've been the the Magic Kingdom park and you find this odd? I find that odd. :p

More times than not, I need a vacation when we get home from a Walt Disney World vacation. There is a reason for the phrase 'theme park commandos.' ;)

NewfieFan

Yes, I have brought young kids to the parks and places to sit are there. I sit when I am there without children as its part of how the places work.

These "D-Zones" with their recharging station seem to be the opposite if their claimed purpose. NextGen is expected to work heavily with phones and they'll need to be charged so the "perks" can be utilized.

Disney continuing to encourage the faster pace and movement is not a sustainable practice. It will never work. All it does is try to mask shortcomings by more scheduling the day and putting people into a state of constant travel instead of a state of experience. An otherwise normal amenity (a place to sit) being named and highlighted is another symptom of Disney's attempts to sell less for me.

Oh, you're preaching to the choir here! I never the said the fast pace touring was ideal or one I enjoyed. I'm just taking about "today's" Disney and how most guests tour the parks. I think it's fine for Disney to highlight this area (and maybe it will encourage more guests to relax, especially those that run from attraction to attraction) and whether or not it's selling less for more is open to interpretation and opinion. I take the time to sit on a bench or other seating available but having a dedicated area to do so as well is fine by me. I would like to see more areas in the other parks similar to this as well. The benches are still there for those who use and enjoy them and now we have dedicated areas (highlighted on a map) to do the same thing. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Oh, you're preaching to the choir here! I never the said the fast pace touring was ideal or one I enjoyed. I'm just taking about "today's" Disney and how most guests tour the parks. I think it's fine for Disney to highlight this area (and maybe it will encourage more guests to relax, especially those that run from attraction to attraction) and whether or not it's selling less for more is open to interpretation and opinion. I take the time to sit on a bench or other seating available but having a dedicated area to do so as well is fine by me. I would like to see more areas in the other parks similar to this as well. The benches are still there for those who use and enjoy them and now we have dedicated areas (highlighted on a map) to do the same thing. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

One of the reasons I prefer to go every other year for ten days than every year for five. You don't have to rush to get everything in.

DisneyFreakEst1994

I like the idea of the charging stations because I have a really bad phone that dies randomly and so does my mom so being able to charge it at the parks without having to go on a hunt for an outlet and then sit next to it for a few minutes is great, but I see the "resting" area as a place where families are sitting with there strollers taking up all the space and little kids crying saying how they wanna go ride this, or see this character and screaming, doesn't sound too relaxing for the rest of us....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom