New Fantasyland - Phases

BrerFrog

My whole problem with this is that TDO doesn't have a good track record when it comes to phased openings. Usually they lose interest when they see that a little effort increased capacity and profit...why should they even bother spending more money.

Toon Town was built as a temporary area...It was never built to last as long as it did.

What's to guarantee that they will follow through with phase 2 much less 4 or 5?

Yeah, I am starting to have doubts if we will ever see this completed.

Lee

Adventurer
Are these really considered phases though? As someone else in a different forum described it, they seem more like different stages of construction.
Yeah, you're right.
Dont look at it like they are going to do Phase 1, then later decide to do Phase 2, and so on. A lot of the work will be going on simultaneously.
So, yeah...."stages" would perhaps be a better term for it than "phases".

That said, since the different areas will open at different times, you could look at it as the project opening in phases.

Well, I can't resist. Here are my thoughts:
Seriously. Forget all that stuff about the chateau. It's not happening.

LudwigVonDrake

Well, I can't resist. Here are my thoughts:

Phase 1: will include LM, BatB AND the chateau. (I find it completely unbelievable that the chateau could be scrapped so late in the process and if a "mine train" ride (or any other ride) were going in that spot, the infrastructure would need to be put in place concurrent to the other construction.

The decision to cut the chateau was made months before Staggs said there was a change. This is something that's been worked on for a long time.

So LM and BatB will open without Project X? So people will be walking around that incomplete area? I wish they'd hold the opening off so that Project X was done and then they couple have a proper opening of an amazing completed New Fantasyland.

Lee

Adventurer
So LM and BatB will open without Project X? So people will be walking around that incomplete area?
Remains to be seen.
I have heard differing estimates on how long Project X will take and whether or not it is going to start construction before BatB and LM open.

hpyhnt 1000

So LM and BatB will open without Project X? So people will be walking around that incomplete area? I wish they'd hold the opening off so that Project X was done and then they couple have a proper opening of an amazing completed New Fantasyland.

Fom what I have read, i'm not sure if project X can be built until the exisitng Dumbo is removed, and I dont know if they'd remove Dumbo until LM and BatB are open because of capacity issues.

Personally, I think it works fine to have LM and BatB open before Project X. When people come to see those, they'll go past the Project X site and say, "Ooooh, look whats going in here. We need to come back in a few years to ride that." Stages/phases are a great way to get people in to see new things over multiple years rather than at the same time.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Fom what I have read, i'm not sure if project X can be built until the exisitng Dumbo is removed, and I dont know if they'd remove Dumbo until LM and BatB are open because of capacity issues.

Personally, I think it works fine to have LM and BatB open before Project X. When people come to see those, they'll go past the Project X site and say, "Ooooh, look whats going in here. We need to come back in a few years to ride that." Stages/phases are a great way to get people in to see new things over multiple years rather than at the same time.

Dumbo has NO CAPACITY... that is one of the main reasons for it being moved.

GLaDOS

So, let me just get this straight/understand it better.

From the sound of things Toontown is basically staying the same? Wasn't one of the points to the expansion to rid the Earth of that cheapness?

SeaCastle

Original Poster
I'll be updating the current thread to match our new information. Thanks everyone!

From the sound of things Toontown is basically staying the same? Wasn't one of the points to the expansion to rid the Earth of that cheapness?

The tents will be re-purposed and the Barnstormer will be re-themed. Everything else (Donald's Boat, Toon Park, Pete's Garage, Mickey and Minnie's Houses) will get the wrecking ball. The rest of the land will be re-themed to some kind of carnival and will no longer be called "Mickey's Toontown Fair". I'd imagine it would look quite nice, as I don't think Imagineering would overlook something that big or make a decision without considering the options. The money saved by scrapping Pixie Hollow was (supposedly) funneled into the Project X budget. I don't know about the rest of you, but I could live with a nicely themed "carnival" mini-land and a new D-ticket instead of a meet and greet complex and Pixie land.

I would also assume the decision to retain the tents came from concerns that County Bounty is apparently the second-most-profitable store in the Magic Kingdom. If I was in that position, losing a store like that wouldn't faze me too much, either.

jt04

Yes, but now we are being told "trust us". Even the regular TDO bashers are silent on this when normally there would be a never ending thread detailing how cheap and unimaginative they have become and advocating they should all be fired.

If the tents stay, no matter how good the mystery attraction is, the FLE will be at least a partial failure in my eyes. Add to that Lee says the tea cup roof is not getting replaced with something more appropriate or even plussed.

Troubling.

GLaDOS

The tents will be re-purposed and the Barnstormer will be re-themed. Everything else (Donald's Boat, Toon Park, Pete's Garage, Mickey and Minnie's Houses) will get the wrecking ball. The rest of the land will be re-themed to some kind of carnival and will no longer be called "Mickey's Toontown Fair". I'd imagine it would look quite nice, as I don't think Imagineering would overlook something that big or make a decision without considering the options. The money saved by scrapping Pixie Hollow was (supposedly) funneled into the Project X budget. I don't know about the rest of you, but I could live with a nicely themed "carnival" mini-land and a new D-ticket instead of a meet and greet complex and Pixie land.

I would also assume the decision to retain the tents came from concerns that County Bounty is apparently the second-most-profitable store in the Magic Kingdom. If I was in that position, losing a store like that wouldn't faze me too much, either.

Keeping the tents is a huge mistake, IMO. Those things are ugly, tacky, and cheap. I was really looking forward to their death. I can live with them, but them surviving really takes a dent out of the "expansion".

Yes, but now we are being told "trust us". Even the regular TDO bashers are silent on this when normally there would be a never ending thread detailing how cheap and unimaginative they have become and advocating they should all be fired.

If the tents stay, no matter how good the mystery attraction is, the FLE will be at least a partial failure in my eyes. Add to that Lee says the tea cup roof is not getting replaced with something more appropriate or even plussed.

Troubling.

Well, I usually don't agree with your posts when I read them, but I do have to agree with you here. I'm excited for the new ride replacing the Meet and Greet complexes, but those dang tents staying around really bothers me...:brick:

SeaCastle

Original Poster

Troubling.

See my response below. How would the FLE be a failure? Because they're adding two new rides, a full-service and quick-service restaurant, new meet and greet experiences, and new theming? The Magic Kingdom has never seen that precedent of expansion before. Since the new expansion hasn't even opened yet, it's a bit premature to be calling it a partial failure, isn't it?

Keeping the tents is a huge mistake, IMO. Those things are ugly, tacky, and cheap. I was really looking forward to their death. I can live with them, but them surviving really takes a dent out of the "expansion".

Well, I usually don't agree with your posts when I read them, but I do have to agree with you here. I'm excited for the new ride replacing the Meet and Greet complexes, but those dang tents staying around really bothers me...:brick:

Of all of the things to be angry with management about, the tents should really be the least of your worries. What about the increasing prices and declining quality of food? Over-priced and generic merchandise? Attractions going on two decades without being touched or upgraded? The tents staying (and being substituted in the budget for a NEW ride) is really the least of the problems.

stefan74

This is the first I have heard of this. Please don't tell me they are going to remove a classic dark ride my family enjoys for another meet and greet. It seems every time we gain a dark ride we loose another. Can't they put the meet and greet somewhere in the new phase, not in a ride space? I understand many people love meet and greets but I am sure there are a lot of families like mine that don't and rather have more family dark rides to enjoy. Do you think they will eventually put another themed ride in that space?

I agree with you. We don't like meet and greets and rather the rides. I hope this does not happen.

GLaDOS

Of all of the things to be angry with management about, the tents should really be the least of your worries. What about the increasing prices and declining quality of food? Over-priced and generic merchandise? Attractions going on two decades without being touched or upgraded? The tents staying (and being substituted in the budget for a NEW ride) is really the least of the problems.

Who says I'm not angry about all that?:wave:

The tents staying are just another microcosm of the cheapness. And they make me more angry because they seemed to be doing everything right. They added another ride, but then decided that the tents should stay? Lame.

BriEcho3194

Here's basically everything in a nutshell because we always seem to get off topic. But this is basically what I see whats going to happen.

1. LM and BatB will be the first to open because they are WAY ahead of Project X (Rumored to be SW mine ride, which will be amazing!) Construction will continue in the middle of Fantasyland for the new ride, and all we have to do is walk around it. When Dumbo is gone the construction walls will go around in that area and possibly construction can begin on the beautiful CASTLE WALLS and the SW Mine Ride.

2. TTF will close but the tents will be repaired, barnstormer re-themed as the Great Goffini to fit the carnival theme with Dumbo. But not in phase one with the LM and BatB or it will. I don't know which.

I am kinda interested to see what PHASE 6 will be. I cannot wait! :)

djkidkaz

Im wondering how much of the Dumbo area being expanded was due to the Magic Kingdom being marketed as having 7 lands for how many years now. Fantasy Forest seems like its just part of Fantasyland, so now we're seeing the Dumbo area expanded and people here have been referring to it as Circusland. Before, you had the whole Fantasy Forest/Fantasyland, but then you had toon town closing and giving way to Pixie Hollow and a Dumbo area, neither of which were big enough to really call a "land". Maybe it has nothing to do with it at all, but it was something I have been thinking about. Maybe Disney didn't want it to look like they had to lose a whole land, just to expand another....???

Princess Kitty

If the tents (Stage 3) are being re-purposed into meet & greets, who's going to be there? As I understand it, Mickey and Minnie are moving to Main Street and the princesses are moving into Snow White's Scary Adventure. (Which is a bummer as I actually like the ride. It's a lot better than the Snow White that I remember as a kid - lots of cardboard pop-ups of the witch which scared the living daylights out of me.) I'd rather have see them save some money by keeping Snow White and build something like a Sleeping Beauty coaster/thrill ride. Go Prince Philip!) I'm not sure where Tink and the Fairies are ending up - but a circus doesn't seem the right place, does it? I'll let them turn Tom Sawyer Island into Neverland and put the fairies somewhere over there. (Just kidding, but it seems better than the Pirate redo that Disneyland got.)

Also, if the Cinderella/Aurora meet & greet isn't being built, is the Winnie-the-Pooh meet and greet still going in the area across from the ride - or did I miss something?

DisneyNut2007

Not only will I continue to stand by my belief that the Cinderella, Aurora and Pixie Hollow experiences are still going to be built until we get an official announcement stating otherwise, but I also stand by my belief that ALL of the Toontown Fair (including all of the tents) is still going to be demolished, save for the Barnstormer getting a new theme.

As for Lee (who has never been an insider), I must remind you all to never listen to him. He has lied before, still lies and will continue to be nothing more than a liar, whose propaganda must be ignored at all costs!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom