New Fantasmic! - Live Stream, Videos, Reviews, Reactions

SuddenStorm

On no! The carpet is already in "B" mode. :(

My Hope is that this gets disney to revert back to the original medley, mirror/hag/evil queen segment. The flying carpet was kind of their crown Jewel of this new show- it was the only change that warranted concept art and a blog post.

Nland316

My Hope is that this gets disney to revert back to the original medley, mirror/hag/evil queen segment. The flying carpet was kind of their crown Jewel of this new show- it was the only change that warranted concept art and a blog post.
I'm not raising my hopes for any significant changes, but I do think there will be some small tweaks and adjustments during its usual downtime in January/February.

Some key things I would like to be altered/fixed:
-Revert back to the full opening monologue.
-Mickey's random noises in the opening.
-Vocals throughout the show transitions/princess medley.
-Rid the show of the Underwater segment (Mermaid and Nemo) and lead straight into Pinocchio/Monstro, which seemingly would tighten that whole transition.
-Revert back to Peter Pan on the Columbia.
-Vocal talents need to be replaced during the Aladdin/Princess medley.
-Make Maleficent rise and transform after her lines are said like she did before.
-Ditch the bright lighting that appears as the Mark Twain goes into view. It distracts from the boat's pyro.

SuddenStorm

I'm not raising my hopes for any significant changes, but I do think there will be some small tweaks and adjustments during its usual downtime in January/February.

-Rid the show of the Underwater segment (Mermaid and Nemo) and lead straight into Pinocchio/Monstro, which seemingly would tighten that whole transition.
-Make Maleficent rise and transform after her lines are said like she did before.
-Ditch the bright lighting that appears as the Mark Twain goes into view. It distracts from the boat's pyro.
I agree with each of those, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like the extra lights before the Twain finale. Sadly, as you said, I don't think we can count on any major new changes

GiveMeTheMusic

There won't be usual downtime in Jan/Feb - at least not on the current schedule. Your list of changes would basically take the show back to 1.0, so don't count on any of them ever happening.

SuddenStorm

The carpet broke this past Monday which caused the show to stop midway. So I guess they're still fixing it. Last time I saw Fantasmic it only worked 1 out of 3
Times it was shown. The other 2 times, the did apppear but the carpet did not move

With Disney, there's a long list of effects that are present when an attraction opens, but disappears soon after. The Ursula float, Indy's ice machine, the asteroid in Space Mountain- if this carpet ends up being removed I would not be surprised. I mean, they already have replacement animation for it.

Disney Analyst

With Disney, there's a long list of effects that are present when an attraction opens, but disappears soon after. The Ursula float, Indy's ice machine, the asteroid in Space Mountain- if this carpet ends up being removed I would not be surprised. I mean, they already have replacement animation for it.

I have a feeling it'll be back this week. The Disney Parks Blog is live streaming the show on Wednesday.!

SuddenStorm

Your list of changes would basically take the show back to 1.0, so don't count on any of them ever happening.

The only thing that would stop the show department from admitting that some of the new changes to the show aren't as good as they were hoping would be there egos, and budget.

I'd never expect them to revert entirely back to 1.0 (though I'd love it) but this new show took some chances, and some of those paid off- the genie segment is a hit, people love the new effects, and overall people like tangled. but some changes were definite misses- pirates being the biggest.

I'd be a shame if Disney didn't fix up the show in a year or two when it goes down for refurbishment.

Disney Analyst

The only thing that would stop the show department from admitting that some of the new changes to the show aren't as good as they were hoping would be there egos, and budget.

I'd never expect them to revert entirely back to 1.0 (though I'd love it) but this new show took some chances, and some of those paid off- the genie segment is a hit, people love the new effects, and overall people like tangled. but some changes were definite misses- pirates being the biggest.

I'd be a shame if Disney didn't fix up the show in a year or two when it goes down for refurbishment.

I guess it would depend on if they agree with what you've determined are misses.

Nland316

I finally got around to watching Fantasmic in person last night, and wow it's honestly so great to have it back!

Some set changes should really be hidden darker, that's honestly one of the biggest issues I found with the new show in person that you can't see in videos. The lighting can be too bright in certain scenes, which show the island's live performers moving or even the dragon going down into its pit.

Pirates was just as bad in person than in video.

Some new scenes seem very WOC-eque. More noticeable in person than in video imo. Which can sometimes seem to montage-ish. But overall, it was the same show I love!

MoonRakerSCM

Gave in and after 2 years, and finally got a pass again last night. Went and saw the new Fantasmic... I'm going to channel my inner oldschool micechat...

What a horrible show. Ruined any impactful moments the original had, completely demolished the music for the sake of 'modernizing' it, idiotically added more Mickey in simply 'because', and overall just destroyed segments and cheapened the show while for some reason making it more like WoC.

I can go on and on... I'll point out a couple things though-

1) The screen projections look absolutely fabulous.
2) The Columbia LOOKS amazing, but the sequence is lazy, uneventful, and uninteresting.
3) Any sense of impactful awe and wonder is gone... I can not understand whatsoever how they changed things away from big musical and visual cues to just dinking along.
4) Mickey's choreography is downright lazy. How on earth do they take the fast paced visuals of his previous choreography and go "no, no, now I want you to lazily shift your arms around"... goes along with the lack of even more pyro... there's nothing much left for him to choreograph with.

Gah, I'm going to go throw up.

Why have Jack swing around the back of the boat??? They're doing it because they're mimicking the previous sequence with Hook... which made sense because the croc was there, now they're just having him swing around for the sake of swinging around... lazy, stupid. Gah!

Curious Constance

Gave in and after 2 years, and finally got a pass again last night. Went and saw the new Fantasmic... I'm going to channel my inner oldschool micechat...

What a horrible show. Ruined any impactful moments the original had, completely demolished the music for the sake of 'modernizing' it, idiotically added more Mickey in simply 'because', and overall just destroyed segments and cheapened the show while for some reason making it more like WoC.

I can go on and on... I'll point out a couple things though-

1) The screen projections look absolutely fabulous.
2) The Columbia LOOKS amazing, but the sequence is lazy, uneventful, and uninteresting.
3) Any sense of impactful awe and wonder is gone... I can not understand whatsoever how they changed things away from big musical and visual cues to just dinking along.
4) Mickey's choreography is downright lazy. How on earth do they take the fast paced visuals of his previous choreography and go "no, no, now I want you to lazily shift your arms around"... goes along with the lack of even more pyro... there's nothing much left for him to choreograph with.

Gah, I'm going to go throw up.

Why have Jack swing around the back of the boat??? They're doing it because they're mimicking the previous sequence with Hook... which made sense because the croc was there, now they're just having him swing around for the sake of swinging around... lazy, stupid. Gah!
Sounds like the pass was money well spent then?

MoonRakerSCM

I actually had written after my throwing up comment "and stare at my pass considering my purchase" but deleted it hehe.

I see it this way, I don't need to see the show in the evenings and instead can check out some rides.

Which it used to be the opposite... back in the college days, we would head down every, single, night, and watch Fantasmic. First due to a GF who was obsessed with it, and then the summer of awaiting the new dragon... we would catch the show in case the new dragon made a debut.

In some ways my reaction is undoubtedly due to knowing the original show so well (unhealthy without a doubt)... I could start humming the show at the same time it started, turn the sound track on mute, then turn it back on near the end and I would be dead on with it.

SuddenStorm

I actually had written after my throwing up comment "and stare at my pass considering my purchase" but deleted it hehe.

I see it this way, I don't need to see the show in the evenings and instead can check out some rides.

Which it used to be the opposite... back in the college days, we would head down every, single, night, and watch Fantasmic. First due to a GF who was obsessed with it, and then the summer of awaiting the new dragon... we would catch the show in case the new dragon made a debut.

In some ways my reaction is undoubtedly due to knowing the original show so well (unhealthy without a doubt)... I could start humming the show at the same time it started, turn the sound track on mute, then turn it back on near the end and I would be dead on with it.

I had a very similar obsession with the old show, and have a very similar opinion on the new show. It's gone from a must do- sometimes maybe even seeing both showings- to something I'll skip most of the time.

I saw the new show twice in one night, once dead center, at the very front. The other from the very back, in the standby viewing so I've seen the show from both perspectives. It looks amazing, but it isn't the show I knew and loved, and I can't say that I think the changes are better than what was there before (except for the technical changes of course)

SuddenStorm

They did this because the focus was no longer the performers, it's the projectors.

SuddenStorm

They seemed to have tweaked and re-recorded some of Elizabeth's dialogue during the Pirates segment. A lot less screaming and shouting.

Just for kicks, they should mix in the Pirates segment, and have the actors wear the Pan costumes for the segment (the choreography was almost exactly the same)- just to see if it's better received.

I can dream, right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom