News New Epcot logo

Rambozo

What an awful logo. What is it with Disney lately? They seem to be making things way too generic. Like World of Disney for example. It used to be so fun inside with all of it's character statues.

Movielover

What an awful logo. What is it with Disney lately? They seem to be making things way too generic. Like World of Disney for example. It used to be so fun inside with all of it's character statues.

Funny since it's pretty much a reuse of the original Epcot Center logo...

I guess you don't like classic WDW do you?

Rich Brownn

I actually don't like the current WDW logo. It always seems to me "world" should go under the Walt Disney signature. Otherwise it seems to "lean" left to me visually.

brb1006

I actually don't like the current WDW logo. It always seems to me "world" should go under the Walt Disney signature. Otherwise it seems to "lean" left to me visually.
I seriously hoped they would have changed the current WDW back to this design with a small modern touch. These days you only see this logo in merchandise and a few flags around the resort.
image_wdwlogo1971_1_20120522_1642118686.png

mickeyworld_20120522_2004270362.gif

Rich Brownn

I seriously hoped they would have changed the current WDW back to this design with a small modern touch. These days you only see this logo in merchandise and a few flags around the resort.
image_wdwlogo1971_1_20120522_1642118686.png

mickeyworld_20120522_2004270362.gif
Alas they are in love with the pseudo-signature and they slap it on every park everywhere nowadays. (Ironic, because its actually a corporate logo and isn't Walt's signature at all).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

That font is disturbingly bad. There's no reason for the Ws to be below the baseline. The tail of the y does appropriately drop below the baseline, but the bottom of the upper loop misses the base line. Everything that is horizontal is skinnier than the vertical -- except when it isn't. The D is a ridiculous shape that doesn't match the rest of the type. The globe looks more like a web than a globe. The ears are tangent to the globe instead of being slightly behind the 'face' as is usually depicted.

ImperfectPixie

That font is disturbingly bad. There's no reason for the Ws to be below the baseline. The tail of the y does appropriately drop below the baseline, but the bottom of the upper loop misses the base line. Everything that is horizontal is skinnier than the vertical -- except when it isn't. The D is a ridiculous shape that doesn't match the rest of the type. The globe looks more like a web than a globe. The ears are tangent to the globe instead of being slightly behind the 'face' as is usually depicted.
I agree on the typeface - it's as if someone who doesn't know the rules of letter/font design created it. The curved parts of letters (the bottoms of the "w"s, the "s"s, top of the "n", etc.) are supposed to extend slightly beyond the line used to determine letter height, but so slightly so that you don't notice it...they took it way too far and applied the rule haphazardly.

Brer Oswald

There was always something a little off about the original logo for me. That being said, the current isn’t much better. I think if it was more consistent like the image I’m attaching, it’d be better. Kinda like the Disneylands.

Rich Brownn

The font is supposed to be curvy as in non-threading. The large D is the actual symbol that was used all over Disney and the largeness of th e D helps center the entire logo. Its not supposed to be in a straight baseline, as the idea was that is a "fun" logo and as such it tends to draw the eye in a pleasant, easy way.

ImperfectPixie

The font is supposed to be curvy as in non-threading. The large D is the actual symbol that was used all over Disney and the largeness of th e D helps center the entire logo. Its not supposed to be in a straight baseline, as the idea was that is a "fun" logo and as such it tends to draw the eye in a pleasant, easy way.
I disagree. There are good ways to break design rules and bad ones - they used bad ones.

Sir_Cliff

I'm with you. Whatever rules they broke, I think they came up with an aesthetically pleasing and distinctive design. The D with the mouse ears was a particularly good piece of design as it gave them a shorthand for the entire resort which they still use despite the logo being discontinued.

The current WDW logo is utterly generic and forgettable. It only really works on the level that it is straightforwardly descriptive, featuring the company logo with "World" tacked on in a generic typeface. Definitely the most bland of all the Disney resorts worldwide.

BoarderPhreak

Do we know if Future World is gone on October 1st?
Yup... October 1st... 1996.

This.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom