New Enhancements, Dining Options Coming to Disney’s BoardWalk

Chef idea Mickey`=

I also have a feeling many won't even realize that it is a sit-down restaurant because it's called... Cake Bake Shop. My guess is many people will assume it's just a bake shop. Those interested in cake will then just look at the cake slices, see the prices, and say, "Nope.", and others who are looking for a fancy sit-down might overlook it... simply because of the name.

I may be wrong, but based on the prices, I get a sense that the owner feels that because it's "upscale" in Indianapolis it must also be more upscale than other locations at Disney.
Yeah the name to me spells more Cake, see your customized cake being Baked and Made. Ammarettes is very much like that and it's not even called Shop.

Vegas Disney Fan

Well it definitely seems high, but there is a lot of scope for a charcuterie board to get to all kinds of prices. So without seeing it, very hard to comment. But we all know what a coke is and what it costs.
Pretty easy to avoid ordering the charcuterie board also, most of us like a soda with lunch/dinner so that price is more likely to impact us.

bmr1591

Personally, I don't see it succeeding.

When you have Trattoria al Forno, Flying Fish, Yachtsman, Il Mulino, BlueZoo, and Shula's all within walking distance, there wasn't a need for another "signature" restaurant in the Crescent Lake area.

I also have a feeling many won't even realize that it is a sit-down restaurant because it's called... Cake Bake Shop. My guess is many people will assume it's just a bake shop. Those interested in cake will then just look at the cake slices, see the prices, and say, "Nope.", and others who are looking for a fancy sit-down might overlook it... simply because of the name.

I may be wrong, but based on the prices, I get a sense that the owner feels that because it's "upscale" in Indianapolis it must also be more upscale than other locations at Disney.

I've thought for the longest that it was a bakery, which would have been cool to have at the Boardwalk. But a sit down restaurant? No thanks.

I was going to say the exact same thing. If I'm spending that kind of money, I'll walk 2 minutes down the boardwalk and go to the Flying Fish instead. This place is outclassed and outvalued and it hasn't even opened yet.
You could argue that they need a nice place to have lunch on the Boardwalk ... but I'm not sure what the demand will be even if the prices were more reasonable. I ate lunch at the ESPN Club either two or three years ago at the Christmas season (long story as to how I ended up there) and the wait staff literally outnumbered the customers. And that was during peak season. There are, of course, a lot of dining options in Epcot, which is a 10 minute walk away.

If it does run into trouble, I'd guess that the lunch service will be the first thing to go.

yensid1967

I am being NICE when I say that The Cake Bake Shop is OVERPRICED, TOO EXPENSIVE and will be GONE in a few years.
At these prices, they better be lined with GOLD! But I hope there are people that will pay those high prices and I hope the cakes tastes better than a homemade cake or a boxed cake!

Tha Realest

I am being NICE when I say that The Cake Bake Shop is OVERPRICED, TOO EXPENSIVE and will be GONE in a few years.
At these prices, they better be lined with GOLD! But I hope there are people that will pay those high prices and I hope the cakes tastes better than a homemade cake or a boxed cake!
Feels like Ample Hills all over again.

Faux high end food at real high end food prices while more modest and perfect serviceable options are available nearby.

TrainsOfDisney

Faux high end food at real high end food prices while more modest and perfect serviceable options are available nearby.
Ample Hills was strange - sometimes there would be 2 people working, it would be super fast and they would be crazy friendly. Other times there would be 8 people working, slow as can be, and borderline rude at least by Disney standards.

Purduevian

Option A:
Breakfast:
Croque-Madame $34
Mimosa $23

Lunch:
12 Layer Club Sandwich $34
Diet Coke® $8

Dinner:
Crab Cake with Rémoulade $36
Steak Frites au Poivre $58
Old Fashioned $24
Red Velvet Cake $24

Total: $241

Option B:
1 day ticket to EPCOT ~$150
Breakfast (Les Halles)
Croque Monsieur $10
Mimosa $12.50

Lunch (Sunshine seasons)
Roast Beef Sandwich $11.29
Diet Coke $4.49

Dinner (Chefs de France):
Escargot $17.95
Steak Frites $49.95
French Martini $16.95
Gateau aux 3 chocolats, glace a la vanille $14.95
Total= $288*

*FYI this is kind of a joke, I'm sure breakfast and lunch are much nicer at Cake Bake shop.

UNCgolf

You could argue that they need a nice place to have lunch on the Boardwalk ... but I'm not sure what the demand will be even if the prices were more reasonable. I ate lunch at the ESPN Club either two or three years ago at the Christmas season (long story as to how I ended up there) and the wait staff literally outnumbered the customers. And that was during peak season. There are, of course, a lot of dining options in Epcot, which is a 10 minute walk away.

If it does run into trouble, I'd guess that the lunch service will be the first thing to go.

Yeah, I think the lunch service is doomed too. There aren't many people just hanging out at the Boardwalk at lunch time, and for the few who are... do they really want $30 sandwiches?

Epcot82Guy

The food at the Indianapolis spots is good. But, there is no way the price justifies it IMHO (and I've eaten a lot of delicious but overpriced food). The best general analogy I can offer are the Vanderpump lounges in Vegas. For anyone with pretty decent craft cocktail knowledge, the drinks are decent - but ungodly high due to presentation and what they can get away with. The food is similar. You are going there for the space and to say you've gone. The offerings are still good, but you are basically paying for character dining (except the characters are decor and garnish).

Cake Bake (existing locations) is a vibe, there is no doubt. Very high quality ingredients and pretty decent execution. It's not life changing, though, and it's priced that way. In Indy, it's a definite vibe (and seems to be a bit of a status dining place). I'll be interested to see if that carries to WDW where there is a lot more competition. If it can become an Instagram darling, I think it has a shot. But, that has yet to be seen - especially at Boardwalk vs. Disney Springs.

mattpeto

Come on, Ample Hills didn't fail because of the pricing. Please.

The company was completely mismanaged and the previous owners have lost two businesses. Quite a shame.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Well it definitely seems high, but there is a lot of scope for a charcuterie board to get to all kinds of prices. So without seeing it, very hard to comment.
Don't know if this is what it'll look like at WDW, but found this:
20241008_145914.jpg

20241008_145721.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom