New E-Tickets for Disneyland?

sponono88

Original Poster
Al Lutz - E Ticket to Ride
http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al010510a.htm

The result is that TDA planners are now drafting plans to open up currently unused areas of the park to build new attractions, instead of simply reinvigorating existing facilities that are already modestly popular, like the Star Tours 2.0 makeover that begins in Tomorrowland this August. Not surprisingly, John Lasseter and Tony Baxter have jumped on this change in tone from TDA executives, and are giddy over the possibilities for some major new E Ticket attractions for Disneyland by the middle of this decade.

And yes, that was E Ticket attractions, plural. Just before the holiday season, John Lasseter took a walking tour of some of the top sites under consideration for these new expansions. John is now famous for being like a kid in a candy store on his regular Disneyland visits, and he was interested in all of the backstage areas to be seen on his recent Expansion Plan tour. The tour prominently included the current Festival Arena area, the northern edges of the Rivers of America, and the adjacent Circle D ranch that is backstage just beyond the berm, as well as the Tomorrowland areas in and around Innoventions.

Tony is very good at playing the corporate game and carving out suitable budgets for these smaller exhibits and rides that have burnished Disneyland's rich tapestry of attractions and charming experiences. But it's the thought of the first major E Ticket attraction expansion to Disneyland since his Indiana Jones Adventure attraction opened back in 1995 that has Tony truly excited, with John Lasseter's full backing and executive muscle behind him. We'll keep following this newly developing story obviously, as suddenly DCA is not the only theme park in Anaheim planning for an infusion of brand new attractions in the years ahead.

Great news! Hope the rumored plans go through and DL finally gets an E-ticket after all these years. Personally I'd rather see them expand in Frontierland/Festival Arena as opposed to tearing down Innoventions.

Maryssa*

Great news indeed! Honestly I'd like to see them do something else with the Innoventions area. It's kind of sad the way it is now. No one ever wants to go in there and it just makes me miss Carousel of Progress =(

sponono88

Original Poster
I like Innoventions. And I like(d?) HISTA as well. :lookaroun

I don't think it's sad, I always see a good amount of people in there. The new house of the future is quite fun and is a whole lot better than what was there before. The Asimo exhibit is also really well done. It's one of the few attractions that truly belong in Tomorrowland and enhance the theme, imo.

It could be better, I agree.. But I'd rather have a new E-ticket constructed in empty/unused space instead of tearing down existing attractions.

TP2000

I like Innoventions. And I like(d?) HISTA as well. :lookaroun

I don't think it's sad, I always see a good amount of people in there. The new house of the future is quite fun and is a whole lot better than what was there before. The Asimo exhibit is also really well done. It's one of the few attractions that truly belong in Tomorrowland and enhance the theme, imo.

It could be better, I agree.. But I'd rather have a new E-ticket constructed in empty/unused space instead of tearing down existing attractions.

There are some people in there, but stop and look around and count them. I did once and got up to a couple dozen people spread about the exhibits.

Now compare that to the Carousel Theater. Six theater compartments each seating 250 people. Four compartments watching the four act show, for up to 1,000 people at any one time watching. One compartment loading up to 250 other people, and the final compartment unloading 250 people and sending them up to the GE exhibits upstairs. That's over 1,500 people at any one time inside the building, plus a few hundred outside in the queue and on the loading patio waiting to get in!

Al Lutz has a brilliant point when he states the Carousel Theater used to cycle through 3,000 people per hour. Innoventions now has a few dozen people at a time.

Sure, there's a few dozen people in Innoventions. But there's also a few dozen people in the bathrooms in Frontierland, and that's not anything Disneyland can use in the marketing campaigns. :cool:

sponono88

Original Poster
Al Lutz has more information on the proposed expansions to DL, the current Festival Arena area in Frontierland and the eastern side of Tomorrowland.

TDA continues to dig deeper into plans to carve out expanded space around the perimeter of the park and bolster overall park capacity by adding at least several new major attractions.

During Tom Staggs well publicized two day visit to Anaheim last month, a major stop on the Disneyland tour was an afternoon visit in the rain to the Festival Arena in the back of Frontierland. It was there that Tom got a chance to physically see the relatively large open space that could serve as the gateway to the first big expansion of the park since Toontown nearly 20 years ago. While Parks & Resorts bigwigs like Operations chief Al Weiss nodded in agreement and rattled off some figures, Tony Baxter gave his sales pitch to Tom on the creative ideas to expand the park to the north, as the rest of the TDA executives smiled at Tom from under their umbrellas with visions of high capacity flume rides and people-eating E Tickets dancing in their heads.

very exciting, can't wait to see what they have planned! Interesting that he mentions flume rides.. WRE? :lookaroun

nemofinder22

Hopefully all this gets some steam and happens, I think were still down 1 attraction still that being Peoplemover.

I really hope the Main Street arcade(walkway) comes true it will be a great way to get to the back of the park when the parades are going. Looks pretty clear in terms of no major buildings other than the lockers and first aid(which appear to be trailers) so maybe they can get permanent buildings instead.

Interesting to see where the Frointerland one will head, Im still hoping something from Discovery Bay can be put in.

Mr.EPCOT

Al Lutz has more information on the proposed expansions to DL, the current Festival Arena area in Frontierland and the eastern side of Tomorrowland.

very exciting, can't wait to see what they have planned! Interesting that he mentions flume rides.. WRE? :lookaroun

Don't you even THINK it!!! That's our baby, dammit! :mad: :fork:

sponono88

Original Poster
Don't you even THINK it!!! That's our baby, dammit! :mad: :fork:

:lol:

we can provide a nice, loving home for your baby in the Festival Arena.. :animwink:

Hopefully all this gets some steam and happens, I think were still down 1 attraction still that being Peoplemover.

I really hope the Main Street arcade(walkway) comes true it will be a great way to get to the back of the park when the parades are going. Looks pretty clear in terms of no major buildings other than the lockers and first aid(which appear to be trailers) so maybe they can get permanent buildings instead.

Interesting to see where the Frointerland one will head, Im still hoping something from Discovery Bay can be put in.

I'm excited about the Main St. arcade walkways. the ones in DLP look really nice, and it'll be a great way to alleviate the crowds that clog up the street after fireworks/F!.

sponono88

Original Poster
more rumors about the possible Tomorrowland expansion/E Ticket - from Screamscape.com

2012/2013 - Tron / New Tomorrowland - Rumor - (4/4/10) Though the concept is still years away, the rumor mill is buzzing with rumors about Disney Imagineers dreaming up wild new ride concepts for a Tron themed attraction for Tomorrowland that could see the light of day as early as 2012 or 2013. And yes Programs… the Light Cycles are said to be the most likely experience to get the green light so far, as Tron Light Cycles are pretty much the visual iconic representation of the Tron universe.

Disney knows that Tomorrowland is in need is a big “fix” once again, to undo some of the damage done during the last one as well as bring new life to the area… the bring it up to speed with today’s vision of The Future once again. They’ve been busy addressing these issues one by one over the past few years with the introduction of Buzz Lightyear, the relaunch of Space Mountain and the return of the Submarines fleet now on a new quest to “Find Nemo”. Even Star Tours 2 will finally launch in the near future.

That said however… there remains the sore spot in the middle of Tomorrowland… rotting away at the core of the land much like a cancer is the hulking remains of the old Rocket Jets / PeopleMover tower. The idea of turning the leftover mechnical bits of the Rocket Jets into a spinning animated light and music show died horribly long ago. Beyond anything else in Tomorrowland, I’ve always felt that this central tower was really the true heart of Tomorrowland. When the Pressler era management decided to close down the Rocket Jets and installed the “Meh!” Astro Orbiters at the ground level of their “New Tomorrowland” back in 1998, the core of Tomorrowland died.

And if the Rocket Jets Tower was the heart of tomrrowland, then the rotting leftover Rocket Rods / PeopleMover attraction below it could have been considered the life blood of the land. Much like a system of arteries and veins, the old PeopleMover track system thread itself in, out and through virtually every single attraction in Tomorrowland and back again to the pumping central heart.

The Rocket Rods briefly kept this track system alive for about 18 months or so before being deemed as a failure and shut down for good. The track however, still remains as a constant reminder and ‘eyesore’ of the dying land. There really isn’t a spot you can go anywhere in Tomorrowland and not see a section of this once thriving ride system. Knowing this, WDI has apparently focused much attention on linking this network of infrastructure up with different new attraction concepts over the years to bring it back to life, as well as proposals to move the Astro Orbiters back to the top of the tower where it belongs. Much speculation has been placed on replacing the Innoventions structure as a major part of a possible new Tron attraction. Even new concepts to put something “fresh” into the Magic Eye 4D Theater to replace Captiain EO / Honey, I Shrunk The Audience are being looked into. All said and done, this could put Tomorrowland back on stable ground once again, and much like it’s Florida counter part, Tomorrowland’s new theme may be a bit more immune to the age of time by becoming a sort of SciFi themed Fantasyland for Boys concept.

Again, this is all just still just a “blue sky” dream right now, but from what I’ve been told, the push from those involved is very passionate as everyone wants to bring Tomorrowland back to life, and Tron may be the key to opening up the checkbook. As always however, the key factor as to the success of failure of these efforts will lie entirely upon the box office reception the new Tron Legacy film receives. Disney is now poised to view this Tron revival on the same level as their very successful Pirates of the Caribbean films. Poised to turn this one film into a new tent-pole series of films, video games and all the marketing and merchandise opportunities that go along with it. Cross your digits Programs…

End of Line…

nemofinder22

I think the timeline is a bit odd 2012 should be DCA's big year. But Innoventions Dream Home also has a 5 year contract to live out so that would be 2008-2012. So by 2013 they can start on something new for the building? But Im always happy to see rumors reguarding Disneyland's future..

http://www.disneylandnews.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=260
“We feel very fortunate to be partnering with our fellow Innoventions Dream Home collaborators in this five-year alliance with Disney to bring the latest in cutting-edge technology and home design to Disneyland Resort guests.”

Edit- Speaking of contracts isn't Chevron's sponsorship of the Autopia up this year. If I remember right it was a 10 year contract and the new Autopia opened June 29, 2000. Maybe we'll get new cars soon like HKDLs(one can hope :))

sponono88

Original Poster
I think TL could make a very big comeback if the rumored plans come to fruition. There's Star Tours 2, a replacement for Captain EO, the proposed E-Ticket in the spot where Innoventions is now and/or a possible attraction for the old Peoplemover tracks. A pretty good lineup that could bring Tomorroland back to its former glory.

though I have to say that the SM relaunch, nemo subs, Tomorrowland Terrace, and BLAB are a very good start.

sponono88

Original Poster
Honor Hunter posted this at his blog yesterday.. hints at the possible new Tron E-Ticket and Tomorrowland renovation:

No, the film hasn't been delayed...

I know that this poster says it's January, 2011, but that's because this is an international poster for Walt Disney Pictures' "Tron Legacy."

That's right, all you guys outside America are going to have to wait an entire month after us to see it. I know that you hate that, don't you?

Well, if it's any consolation, it's going to be at least a couple years before we see anything about that new Tron attraction at Disneyland. But from what I hear, the Suits are so happy with what they're seeing on Legacy that they've fast tracked development on a swanky E-Ticket and a few other surprises that could wind up being part of a TL makeover before the next sequel in this Mouse franchise.

But sadly, they won't fast track the film for you...

http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2010/06/world-gets-in-game.html

i'm hoping for some good news at the D23 event for DL's 55th this September. It'd be the perfect opportunity to announce something new for DL!

SeaCastle

Here's a concept for a possible new ride along the Rivers of America and Frontierland. Its tentative title seems to be "Cascade Gorge". Link

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom